Model Cars Magazine Forum

’72 Dodge Demon Drag Racer 1/25 scale

On 1/18/2024 at 1:41 PM, Keef said:

GF3 Amber Sherwood Iridescent would look amazing on this.

Thanks Keith!  It seems to me that this was a very popular color for the Duster/Demon bodywork as I saw several very clean cars on the racetrack painted this color.  Maybe this color was more popular on this side of the border? 

We add this to the possibilities...! 😁

Francis

On 1/20/2024 at 8:43 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Bob!

I have more than one 3 jaw chuck but I only use one and keep the part in that one until each operation requiring precise measurements and/or cuts with specific angulations is performed.  At the end I go back to the lathe for the final cuts and just have to consider the depth so I don't go straight through and risk destroying the wheel.

I hope this helps.

Francis

Thanks for the info. 

On 1/16/2024 at 8:04 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hello everyone,

OK, the time has come to change the type of material to make shinny parts!

I spent the last few days working with my favorite tools, the lathe and the milling machine to start the more technical part of the project if I may say so.  I really enjoy working on body modifications (or improvements), but I also enjoy scratching my head and coming up with new techniques for machining parts.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I need to put this thing on its wheels so I started with the rear mag wheels.  No real new technique here but just a new kind of wheels of the same type as I made for my '70 GTX but a little more elaborate.  I found a photo and the make (or model) on a drag racing discussion forum and they are called Appliance according to the experts.  It's a style of wheels that fits the Demon perfectly and brings a touch of nostalgia that goes well with my project I think.  And you what do you think?

I'm leaving for work for a few days and I'll come back to you next weekend.

Francis

I started with a 0.625" T6 aluminum rod.233_Rear_Mag_Prog_1JPG.jpg.cc21d0b130b9dce898f822fbbaaf596e.jpg

After the diameter was reduced to fit the inner size of my Pro Stock tires, I began machining the outer side.234_Rear_Mag_Prog_2JPG.jpg.df6b3a7ca8b4f97f3209075c7e29d1d6.jpg

Right now they look like Center Line or Cragar Super Trick but I'm going to change that! 🙄235_Rear_Mag_Prog_3JPG.jpg.e50abbed2cd4c8a79311caf9968ece46.jpg

Looking at the target photo, I saw that there is a rounded shape at the bottom of the rear wheels so I used a ball nose end mill to create that shape.236_Rear_Mag_Prog_4JPG.jpg.6c662f504606f90366e5e637c963aa75.jpg

Next I made the slots using an oval drill bit... 😂  No, No, I used a carbide drill bit and using the rotary table I rotate 20 degrees to create the slot shape.  I repeated this same operation 4 more times to complete the design.237_Rear_Mag_Prog_5JPG.jpg.f15806d99992778c0f9338d6ed340ca6.jpg

Both twins at a more advanced stage.238_Rear_Mag_Prog_6JPG.jpg.4c521d4f435af89d599101cb3d3e8627.jpg

I also drilled the holes for the wheel nuts and made a small seat for each one.239_Rear_Mag_Prog_7JPG.jpg.01a2ab76d5dc37423d4838e075091bb6.jpg

Back on the lathe to machine the back of the wheel.  Take note, it is very important to record the depth measurements of the front side so as not to go straight (or have a wall that is too thick) when working on the back side.240_Rear_Mag_Prog_8JPG.jpg.4a8d432eafb0d01ac4b2f999df0db818.jpg

I remove material from the center and keep a raised portion at each end that produces the edges of the wheel.241_Rear_Mag_Prog_9JPG.jpg.031b401c6353c01a88723333a70c9363.jpg

Later I will drill small holes for the air valves they are located in the center of one slot.242_Rear_Mag_Final_1JPG.jpg.701c432a25bc85d48810078f4800252f.jpg

I'm pretty happy with them, I'll keep them unpolished as it gives them a vintage magnesium look.  Rear slicks are rubber compound American Satco Pro Stock.243_Rear_Mag_Final_2JPG.jpg.537e29a99414fc478effd8aa509014ad.jpg

Man those wheels look great! Amazing job!

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 9:25 AM, Randy D said:

Awesome project Francis!!!! Your machining skills in plastic and metal really set the bar high Sir.  I always come away amazed.

Randy

Thank you for your kind comments Randy!  It's sometimes difficult to stay fully motivated when you're involved in a long project like this and I know you understand what I'm talking about.  The constant support of our peers is one of the most important elements of any project and I cannot express enough how much I appreciate the interaction with everyone who takes the time to bring these to life, it is in my opinion the reason for this forum.  You inspire more than one and I am one of them my friend!

Francis

Hello everyone!

Unsurprisingly but a little later than expected, the front wheels are my update for today.  The machining steps are the same as for the rear wheels but with less material to remove of course.  They are not easier to make however, the width being at a certain point in machining a problem for mounting them in the chuck.  So here are the photos and I hope you like the end result.

See you later with other aluminum or brass parts.

Francis

After reducing the aluminum rod to the desired size and machining the basic details, I transferred the blank into the rotary table chuck.244_Front_Mag_Prog_1JPG.jpg.386c6b0b43ed449058a2118af43257e1.jpg

Using the same techniques and measurements as the rear wheels, I drilled the slots and holes for the wheel studs.245_Front_Mag_Prog_2JPG.jpg.8367fec7f961783413444fefb1733207.jpg

Before working on the back of the wheel I went back to the lathe to make the raised shape in the center on the wheel.  I could have done this initially but I forgot...!248_Front_Mag_Prog_5JPG.jpg.61852b063cd91057a2d816efbdf5f2ee.jpg

Back on the lathe to create the groove to mount the front tires.246_Front_Mag_Prog_3JPG.jpg.11bc8dec5a479510e706203e4cc01277.jpg

In order to machine the inner part of the wheel, I wound a strip of styrene to be able to mount it in the chuck.  I have to admit that it's a little stressful! 🥶247_Front_Mag_Prog_4JPG.jpg.dc7c1321bcfa25f441b490c2535aaa4b.jpg

Here is the final result (exterior side).249_Front_Mag_Final_1JPG.jpg.3fbacee80d36beb8553a79674429b0e4.jpg

The central wall is off-centered towards the outside because I need to provide room for the brake rotor and caliper.250_Front_Mag_Final_2JPG.jpg.555f1fcca3bd8eeee234a6cb179baafc.jpg

The family is finally reunited, the front tires are Front Runner from Futurattraction.251_FrontBack_Mag_Final.JPG.e5353c31644322378e30250279d31ccc.JPG

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Of that, there is no question! Great work, my friend!

Thanks Daniel, sometimes you need what it takes to achieve your goals even if the method used is somewhat unconventional......... 😉

Francis

11 hours ago, Musclecarbuilder said:

Wow those wheels look killer! Amazing job!

Thanks Will, the aluminum chips are just starting to fly, more shiny stuff to come a little later. 😁

Francis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Daniel, sometimes you need what it takes to achieve your goals even if the method used is somewhat unconventional......... 😉

Francis

Thanks Will, the aluminum chips are just starting to fly, more shiny stuff to come a little later. 😁

Francis, you will have to put the white stripes on the rears, so we can see if it hooks up when you fire it up. Again, your skills leave us all pegged to our seats waiting for next tidbits. I would like to thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 2:50 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hello everyone!

Unsurprisingly but a little later than expected, the front wheels are my update for today.  The machining steps are the same as for the rear wheels but with less material to remove of course.  They are not easier to make however, the width being at a certain point in machining a problem for mounting them in the chuck.  So here are the photos and I hope you like the end result.

See you later with other aluminum or brass parts.

Francis

After reducing the aluminum rod to the desired size and machining the basic details, I transferred the blank into the rotary table chuck.244_Front_Mag_Prog_1JPG.jpg.386c6b0b43ed449058a2118af43257e1.jpg

Using the same techniques and measurements as the rear wheels, I drilled the slots and holes for the wheel studs.245_Front_Mag_Prog_2JPG.jpg.8367fec7f961783413444fefb1733207.jpg

Before working on the back of the wheel I went back to the lathe to make the raised shape in the center on the wheel.  I could have done this initially but I forgot...!248_Front_Mag_Prog_5JPG.jpg.61852b063cd91057a2d816efbdf5f2ee.jpg

Back on the lathe to create the groove to mount the front tires.246_Front_Mag_Prog_3JPG.jpg.11bc8dec5a479510e706203e4cc01277.jpg

In order to machine the inner part of the wheel, I wound a strip of styrene to be able to mount it in the chuck.  I have to admit that it's a little stressful! 🥶247_Front_Mag_Prog_4JPG.jpg.dc7c1321bcfa25f441b490c2535aaa4b.jpg

Here is the final result (exterior side).249_Front_Mag_Final_1JPG.jpg.3fbacee80d36beb8553a79674429b0e4.jpg

The central wall is off-centered towards the outside because I need to provide room for the brake rotor and caliper.250_Front_Mag_Final_2JPG.jpg.555f1fcca3bd8eeee234a6cb179baafc.jpg

The family is finally reunited, the front tires are Front Runner from Futurattraction.251_FrontBack_Mag_Final.JPG.e5353c31644322378e30250279d31ccc.JPG

Francis. Francis. Francis, I'll not comment on your skills, these being impeccable. I would LOVE to mention, you understand that a wheel, fits inside a tire. Wheel rims do not stick outside a tire. Let the tire appear to be inflated ,no rim visible.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 9:26 PM, Scott Eriksen said:

I'm blown away with this!  Absolutely beautiful ! 

Thanks Scott!  These are the first aluminum (or brass) parts in a long series to be machined, so come back and take a look whenever you want, I have a lot of ideas to materialize!

Francis

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 10:30 PM, Moparman18064 said:

Francis, you will have to put the white stripes on the rears, so we can see if it hooks up when you fire it up. Again, your skills leave us all pegged to our seats waiting for next tidbits. I would like to thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

Thanks Rich!  I still have some details to add including the lettering on the side walls of the tires hoping my old Shabo dry transfer sheets still work.  On the other hand, I will not do this before the end of build because this type of detail is very fragile.

Francis

On 2/1/2024 at 1:28 PM, Mike Williams said:

Francis. Francis. Francis, I'll not comment on your skills, these being impeccable. I would LOVE to mention, you understand that a wheel, fits inside a tire. Wheel rims do not stick outside a tire. Let the tire appear to be inflated ,no rim visible.

Thank you Mike my good old friend!

I am honored to have your approval on my wheels, you have demonstrated your talent on this subject several times.  If my wheels fit the tires well, it's probably because I made them specifically for the tires I wanted to use.  It sure is hard to find a perfect match with aftermarket wheels.  However, the fact that they are made in one piece makes the tires rather difficult to mount but this way they will stay in place. 😊 

I'll try to use more brass when possible, I know it's your favorite material!

Francis

17 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Sick! No words! Just amazing Francis……..

Thank you my partner, you should easily cross the finish line before me so I will continue to machine other parts knowing that the race is lost in advance!  We obviously share the same tastes for cars from this era and I admire your determination, you are certainly an example to follow my friend.

3 hours ago, dragcarz said:

I’m going to have to start a “Go Fund Me Account” to get you to ACME this year so we can meet, and we can see your amazing builds in person.

Thank you Roger, I'm not the most exuberant man and I'm sometimes surprised by the interest what I do can generate, camaraderie comes first but it's rewarding when what you do pleases others!

I'll get back to you soon with my latest progress but even if I don't move forward quickly, I take the opportunity to appreciate the good work of others! 😉

Francis

8 hours ago, dragcarz said:

I’m going to have to start a “Go Fund Me Account” to get you to ACME this year so we can meet, and we can see your amazing builds in person.

I’ll chip in just to have a chance to shake the hand of a Master Craftsman. 😁

20 hours ago, Keef said:

I’ll chip in just to have a chance to shake the hand of a Master Craftsman. 😁

You're so nice Keith but I'm afraid I'll disappoint you, I'm just an ordinary guy who likes to complicate his life by making a bunch of parts that you can only really see before they're assembled... 🙄

By the way, I noticed you changed your profile icon photo, the '70 Coronet looks great but I hope you still like the Demon! 😁

• Haha 1

Hi!

I've driven to many shows with Francis, and I'm always puzzled when some spectators and fellow contestants sometimes give only a passing glance at his extraordinary completed models. Then again, some of them would not notice a UFO sitting in the middle of the show's parking lot, I guess. Go figure! 

As luck would have it, most of you on this forum KNOW the work that goes into those creations, and I take comfort in that. 

For one, somehow, when I see this level of quality and dedication, I feel it's good for the soul! 

Keep at it Francis!

CT

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

You're so nice Keith but I'm afraid I'll disappoint you, I'm just an ordinary guy who likes to complicate his life by making a bunch of parts that you can only really see before they're assembled... 🙄

By the way, I noticed you changed your profile icon photo, the '70 Coronet looks great but I hope you still like the Demon! 😁

Yes sir I still love the Demon, I love anything Mopar, the ‘70 Coronet is my most favorite ever, I’ve owned a few of them over the years.