Model Cars Magazine Forum

2023 Cannonball Run Theme Voting Poll

White Rabbit

Hello fellow Cannonballers! The time has come to vote on next year's Cannonball Run theme. We began with twenty three  excellent theme suggestions. Based on everyone's top three lists, the themes have been narrowed to seven.

Below is a link to the voting poll. This is my first attempt at polling, so I appreciate your patience. Hopefully, all goes smoothly. 

The poll is set-up to allow one vote per person (based on their email/login). However, we'll also use the honor system.

The poll should be open from midnight December 2nd to midnight December 5th. This should give everyone plenty of time to vote.

Any suggestions and opinions are always welcome.

https://take.supersurvey.com/QK8BAWN5F

Edited by White Rabbit

• White Rabbit changed the title to 2023 Cannonball Run Theme Voting Poll
44 minutes ago, Pat Minarick said:

Is there any way to see how the voting is going?

As far as I can tell once you vote you have the ability to see the results... I'm able to go in and veiw the status of the race. I will say that every car is on the board with a percentage of the vote and that is Awesome...but there is one racer who is leading by a margin.

45 minutes ago, Keef said:

Tried to vote from my phone, signed into my account and all I saw White a white page. Won’t let me cast my vote.

After you enter your email, tap the green envelope to the right and you'll be asked to enter a code, the code will be in your email add the 6 digit code and your vote will be cast... thanks

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

After you enter your email, tap the green envelope to the right and you'll be asked to enter a code, the code will be in your email add the 6 digit code and your vote will be cast... thanks

Thank you sir, voted 👍🏻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

What is Run-what- you- brung, 

This is the original post by oldcarfan in the theme suggestion thread:

"How about a Totally Inappropriate Cannonball? You know, cars that shouldn't be raced long distance. Such as dually pickups, tiny cars with tiny hand grenade engines, maybe huge old luxury cars. I'm thinking a 90s era limo, maybe a Yugo with a high revving 1200cc engine, or a Ford F-350 lowered and filled with a NASCAR  engine."

My interpretation of the run-what-you-brung theme is effectively open to all street-legal vehicles. The real Cannonball is indeed a race what-you-have type of event, but for our purposes, some structure would have to be built in to ensure that the builds stay within the spirit of the CBR.

These could be some guidelines: street-legal vehicle (that is, one that could be registered with the DMV), vehicle-based engines (piston, rotary, hybrid, electric, etc. So nothing fantastic like a nuclear-powered car. If it's been in a production vehicle, it should be eligible.), real-vehicle based model (so the vehicle should be based on a real vehicle in kit form. Of course, modifications are always welcome; everything from box-stock to wild custom) and, as stated above, keeping with the spirit of the Cannonball. 

I encourage other's thoughts and guidelines on this potential theme.

3 hours ago, White Rabbit said:

My interpretation of the run-what-you-brung theme is effectively open to all street-legal vehicles. The real Cannonball is indeed a race what-you-have type of event, but for our purposes, some structure would have to be built in to ensure that the builds stay within the spirit of the CBR.

These could be some guidelines: street-legal vehicle (that is, one that could be registered with the DMV), vehicle-based engines (piston, rotary, hybrid, electric, etc. So nothing fantastic like a nuclear-powered car. If it's been in a production vehicle, it should be eligible.), real-vehicle based model (so the vehicle should be based on a real vehicle in kit form. Of course, modifications are always welcome; everything from box-stock to wild custom) and, as stated above, keeping with the spirit of the Cannonball. 

I encourage other's thoughts and guidelines on this potential theme.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/history-cannonball-run-sea-shining-sea-part-1/amp/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Calb56 said:

Thank you for the link!

I would also like to recommend the Cannonball book by Brock Yates. It's a great read from the perspective of the participants and you get a good idea of what an incredible event the CBR really was. 

Also, regarding the types of vehicles in the real Cannonball: Mr. Yates' impetus for the race was to prove that skilled drivers piloting high quality vehicles could safely traverse the nation's highways at high speeds, thereby, removing the need for the 55mph speed limit at the time. The important point here with regards to the vehicles is that they should be solid performance vehicles that are capable of safe, high-speed travel. The winners of the 1970s Cannonballs were: Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona, Cadillac Coupe de Ville, Ferrari Dino and Jaguar XJS 

The polling has closed and we have a tie between Wagons and Run-What-You-Brung. To decide the final theme, a runoff poll will be held; open from now until Wednesday, December 7th 11:59pm (Eastern US time).

Incidentally, the final results are the same as the above post.

Vote here: Runoff Poll

Edited by White Rabbit

Hello all,

So, this has been my first time using SuperSurvey to create a poll and it has very much been a learning curve. I've been working on the security of the survey to ensure that multiple votes are not counted. I did notice that there seemed to be multiple votes cast. I increased the security to "Heavy" and it now seems to have dismissed multiple votes. Therefore, we now have an accurate view of the poll for the 2023 theme runoff and for the YOB contest. The original theme poll remained unchanged. I will also post the updated results in their respective topics. I appreciate your patience during this process, but the multiple vote issue seems to be solved; that is, even if multiple votes are cast, only one will be counted.

831586897_Screenshot2022-12-06at12_25_46AM.png.4d2acb830d3c1d521a893be837ea4036.png

• Like 1

The theme runoff has come to a conclusion and the winning theme for the 2023 Cannonball Run is...

...Run-What-You-Brung!

Thank you to everyone who voted, both in the initial theme poll and the runoff! It was very close this year as all the suggestions were excellent, however, Run-What-You-Brung is the official winner by two votes!

83481734_Screenshot2022-12-08at6_48_27PM.png.970aa34a22fdeb8498fea1e046dcd963.png

This is going to truly be an exciting theme that has something for everyone as, in a way, encompasses almost all the other themes. It will allow the builder a large scope of building possibilities; from box/replica stock to full custom. I do believe, however, that a clear definition of the theme and some guidelines should be employed to ensure that the builds stay within the spirit of the Cannonball. This will all be on the official build thread's main page.

This weekend, I'll be posting the official build thread for the '23 CBR. So, definitely get your ideas flowing and I look forward to the great builds that are to come!