Model Cars Magazine Forum

HPI Guy Asphalt Modified Racer Review

Daddyfink

3 hours ago, RichCostello said:

It's too bad they sold out before i even knew they were for sale.

They're still out there. I got mine today from a hobby store in Canada that just got them in. Check online for some of the smaller shops that only ordered in 5 or so of the kits, they don't seem to sell out as fast as the big vendors. 

There's also another version coming soon. You can go to Wes' site, they're the ones that actually developed and produced the kit, designed and made by Salvino's. Not sure if all of those are presold yet, but you can check with Wes. 

There's also some aftermarket decals on https://www.mikesdecals.com/

One on-line review claims that these are the first 2, out of 5 versions of the tooling. The other 3 are expected next year. This seems to me to be a very 'niche' kit. My guess, is that demand for these kits will be intense for a small number of builders, but far less amongst the 'mainstream' of car builders. But I could be wrong.

50 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

One on-line review claims that these are the first 2, out of 5 versions of the tooling. The other 3 are expected next year. This seems to me to be a very 'niche' kit. My guess, is that demand for these kits will be intense for a small number of builders, but far less amongst the 'mainstream' of car builders. But I could be wrong.

The first two account for a 5k piece run combined which sold out before they were even shipped out of the factory in California. There might be less demand from "mainstream" modelers only in the sense that they'll never get a solid chance to buy one.

Well, if there will be 3 more versions, maybe there will be kits available for the mainstream. I suspect they will be hitting eBay soon, as well. From the reviews, it seems like a complicated kit. I wonder how easy it will build. This kit has been in development for some time, so I will assume that it assembles well, but CAD is one thing, the real world another.

It sure looks like a neat kit. 

2 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Well, if there will be 3 more versions, maybe there will be kits available for the mainstream. I suspect they will be hitting eBay soon, as well. From the reviews, it seems like a complicated kit. I wonder how easy it will build. This kit has been in development for some time, so I will assume that it assembles well, but CAD is one thing, the real world another.

It sure looks like a neat kit. 

At around 2500 pcs on each kit, that's not very many spread over a pretty large area. Maybe by the 4th or 5th version (if it really goes to that many) and it winds up either being a clunker of a kit to build, or they wind up with a less than popular driver choice. But in 2023 SJR kits themselves are going to be 1500 pcs per kit, with one kit per month immediately selling 400+ kits straight to the Builder's Club and a big chunk of the rest being claimed by NASCAR itself for their own sales. It'll be interesting to see how well the planned scarcity works out.

4 more different kits coming the first 6 months of 2023 but they will only be 1500 runs of each. These kits are being done to be a collectable as well as a builder. Check ACE decals for modified kits and decals of different cars.

1 hour ago, R.J said:

4 more different kits coming the first 6 months of 2023 but they will only be 1500 runs of each. These kits are being done to be a collectable as well as a builder. Check ACE decals for modified kits and decals of different cars.

Interesting merchandising. Didn’t see this coming. The market is literally flooded with all the previous Salvinos releases. 

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

. I'm no business genius but don't you want to make as many of these kits as possible to sell? If they sold out in a matter of hours I'd think you'd be scrambling to get more out there.

Small niche company.. maybe that’s all they could afford to spend on the first run. 

3 hours ago, TonyK said:

Somehow I was lucky and got one of these. I'm no business genius but don't you want to make as many of these kits as possible to sell? If they sold out in a matter of hours I'd think you'd be scrambling to get more out there.

But how many more do you make before you hit that tipping point and they start sitting around and languishing on shelves? From a purely business aspect nobody wants dead stock lying around. Also everyone has heard these sold out, so when Kit #3 gets made people will flock to pre-order it. FOMO is the best motivator in the hobby. Also there's been talk out of Wes' that teams have seen the kits and are approaching HIM to have their cars included as kit choices, which must be a nice problem to have.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RichCostello said:

Who is it? How 'bout a link.

The listing is no longer up,  so no longer in stock ,  Southern Motorsports Hobbies is the place,  I am not 100% confident it was in stock in when I ordered.

https://stores.smhracing.com/wmcc-10001-burt-myers-asphalt-modified-race-car/

Edited by martinfan5

The next 4 modified kits to be released in 2023 are all popular drivers and limited production runs, so we will continue to see these sell out quickly after they are announced. These will not be like the Salvino's Cup cars that have languished on the shelves at my local hobby shop since they were first introduces and every one subsequently released, including the new Camaros.

There is another option for those who want to build these modified race cars and missed out on Wes' initial two offerings.  There is a niche vendor called Hurd Hobbies(https://hurdhobbies.com/) who has made a similar modified kit (SMART Tour cars that run primarily on the South East coast of the U.S.). His cars/kits are all 3D printed. His kits are selling for ~$150 and the detail and quality look phenomenal. I have ordered a few individual parts from his site and they look very realistic. 

I have both kits. The Salvinos kit is cheaper (well, it WAS….not so much anymore) but it does have some accuracy issues, one being the Burt Myers kit has a generic Chevy engine…..the real car is a Ford. The Hurd Hobbies kit is pricey and challenging to assemble, but far more accurate……plus if a part is missing or broken you can easily get replacements. 

Like any kit, they will cast as many as needed for the market, only in drips and drabs at first. Just like the original MPC Modified kits from the 70's, at first they were not widely produced, but later they were produced in large numbers with different body options. I would say be patient and you will see quite a few. Tooling cost should guarantee that.