Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ramchargers Dodge Challenger Funny Car

Nacho Z

I thought I would share my 2023 Annual 24 Hour Model Build.  Most of you are familiar with the 24 hour build but for those of you who are not it is a FB group build that starts at Noon on a Saturday and runs until Noon on Sunday.  It is always held on the weekend of the 24 Hours at Daytona.

This year I stopped at about 21 hours into it.  I was starting to make mistakes and getting sloppy.  After getting some rest I spent about another 5 hours fixing my mistakes, repositioning some parts and polishing the kit glass, (twice!), due to some unfortunate glue placement...lol.

20230204 143146

20230204 142406

20230204 142116

20230204 142511

20230204 142541

20230204 145039

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jlucky said:

Holy Cow...what a sweet looking build. Congrats on a splendid job. I was planning to avoid the kit because of the use of the stock body, but your build changed my mind...it looks reeeeaaaalll nice. I gotta get me one of those.

Thanks so much, Jerry!  She makes a nice shelf model.  Because it was a 24 hour build, I didn't sweat a lot of details.  The decals went on great.  The parts were full of flash and the fit was average at best.  It is a typical '70s MPC kit for sure.

On 2/7/2023 at 1:09 AM, Tortuga Kustomz said:

beautiful job man

Thank you, Marcos!

On 2/7/2023 at 12:02 PM, Speedpro said:

Very nice! Great photos too

Thanks, Paul!  I always joke that I am an average model builder but I take cool pictures...😂

On 2/7/2023 at 4:20 PM, Hmann68 said:

Jeez that looks good! Love the Ramchargers scheme. It takes me a lot longer than 24 hours to make ‘em look that nice 😆

I'm right there with you, Christopher, I love those Ramchargers!

On 2/10/2023 at 7:31 AM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thank you!

On 2/11/2023 at 10:48 AM, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

Thanks, Chris!

On 2/12/2023 at 10:30 AM, Old Coyote said:

Absolutely beautiful build John .... but then again, so are all of your builds .... outstanding paint and decals.

Oh, man, John, it is good to hear from you, my friend!  You are truly the guy I look up to for dragsters of all types.  I only picked this one because it looked doable for a 24 Hour Build.  It came out ok and makes me want to tackle some of the others I have.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 6:59 AM, Zippi said:

Very clean looking build and nice photos man.  A+ on this one man.  Fantastic build.  

Thanks, Bob, much appreciated!

On 2/17/2023 at 7:07 AM, David G. said:

A beautiful rendition of a fantastic piece of auto racing history!

Well Done!

David G.

Thank you, David!

Wow I wish I could make a beauty like that in 24 hours!  Those Ramcharger cars are so iconic and you did this one justice.  Like others, I too, have been on the fence on picking this one up even though I love the car.  You've changed my mind with this great build, I need one!

On 2/20/2023 at 7:21 PM, bogger44 said:

Wow I wish I could make a beauty like that in 24 hours!  Those Ramcharger cars are so iconic and you did this one justice.  Like others, I too, have been on the fence on picking this one up even though I love the car.  You've changed my mind with this great build, I need one!

Hi, Tony!  Thanks for the kind words!  I chose this one for the 24 hour build due to one color paint scheme, relatively low parts count and relatively, to me, low decal count.  There is a good amount of flash on the parts. I knocked off the majority of it.  I didn’t fill any ejector pin marks.  Normally I would have stripped the chrome and shot Alclad or AK but again, I didn’t have time.  I also would have polished out the paint but that Tamiya laid down sooooo nice I left it as it was. I did make a new rear axle to push the rear tires out a bit more and I did a fair amount of grinding and cutting to get the front of the body to drop down a little lower over the chassis.

11 hours ago, Mopar2 said:

Wow...Very nice 24hr build..

Thanks, Anthony!

• Like 2