Model Cars Magazine Forum

It’s on! For those of you who would like to see the 1971/1972 MPC Plymouth Road Runner re-issued. Now is your chance to let them know!

drksd4848

1 hour ago, drksd4848 said:

So, uh...  I hear if the '68 Coronet hits its sales targets, It would make the odds of seeing the '71-'72... much better.

From what I've seen and heard, the '68 'net 'verts are selling like mad. Thus far, I have two copies and am planning on buying more (maybe, just maybe, bashing one with the 1970 Super Bee to make a '70 R/T convertible).

I can't wait for the hardtop to come out !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

From what I've seen and heard, the '68 'net 'verts are selling like mad. Thus far, I have two copies and am planning on buying more (maybe, just maybe, bashing one with the 1970 Super Bee to make a '70 R/T convertible).

I can't wait for the hardtop to come out !

Well, I looks like they are taking a wait and see approach with the 71-72. Probably because no one outside of me has been banging the doors down about it. Whereas I think there was universal demand for the Coronet. So if the Netvert sells well and hopefully the 68 GTO sells reasonably well, there may be a case. My speculation anyway… if neither sell well, it probably doesn't make much business sense to re release it. 

Anybody know if the GTO is selling well?  Haven't heard much chatter about it. 

Edited by drksd4848

13 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

Well, I looks like they are taking a wait and see approach with the 71-72. Probably because no one outside of me has been banging the doors down about it. Whereas I think there was universal demand for the Coronet. So if the Netvert sells well and hopefully the 68 GTO sells reasonably well, there may be a case. My speculation anyway… if neither sell well, it probably doesn't make much business sense to re release it. 

Anybody know if the GTO is selling well?  Haven't heard much chatter about it. 

GTO isn't selling anything, it's still on the way.

Also keep in mind things are planned out 18-24 months in advance with most of these companies, I doubt their going to shoehorn in this kit to oust something else they already had planned because a few dozen people on this forum think it would be a good idea.  You're playing a long game to get this...

6 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

You're playing a long game to get this...

That's Okay.

It Worked for both the Coronet, and the '63 Nova Wagon, even if we did not know it, at the time.

We'll wait.

Edited by stavanzer
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 3/20/2023 at 11:41 PM, drksd4848 said:

No no no… I spent too much money on those…

3E2322A8-EF9D-409B-8BDE-02EBFFEE1571.jpeg

I remember these.  Grasshopper was the entry level of the Tamiya buggies.  Price point was lower than the Rough Rider, Sand Scorcher, Ford F-150 Unlimited off road cars.  The grasshoppers were better performers , especially with 540 Mabuchi motors.

• Like 1

I had the Grasshopper, then once I smash that into a pile of plastic, I got The Hornet. And I smashed that into a pile of plastic.  Then I stopped because how many piles of plastic do I need laying around the house?

When the re-issues came out, I bought one for my kids.  And they - You guessed it – smashed it into a pile of plastic. That gave me two piles of plastic from the 80s and another pile of plastic from today.

Good news is those self tapping screws that these kits come with are useful in other applications!

Edited by drksd4848

Wasn't the ‘71-‘72 Roadrunner B-body updated to the ‘74 though?  To do a proper 71-‘72, they would have to clone an original kit/promo like they did with the ‘63 Nova, ‘68 GTO and others.

Edited by mikos
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mikos said:

Wasn't the ‘71-‘72 Roadrunner B-body updated to the ‘74 though?  To do a proper 71-‘72, they would have to clone an original kit/promo like they did with the ‘63 Nova, ‘68 GTO and others.

No, separate tool. It was most recently reissued by MPC/Ertl in 1987, then the tool mysteriously went MIA after that. 

20230830_220214.jpg

2vCv2DfgxQKCP.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

No, separate tool. It was most recently reissued by MPC/Ertl in 1987, then the tool mysteriously went MIA after that. 

20230830_220214.jpg

2vCv2DfgxQKCP.jpg

That’s interesting they did that.  Typically, they would continue to update the body through the years until the latest version.  I wish they did separate tools for those modified stock cars of the mid ‘60’s instead of butchering the body’s of the originals.

It’s funny how that disappeared after 1987.  The same thing occurred with the ‘70 GTO with the separate front clip.   

34 minutes ago, mikos said:

That’s interesting they did that.  Typically, they would continue to update the body through the years until the latest version.  I wish they did separate tools for those modified stock cars of the mid ‘60’s instead of butchering the body’s of the originals.

It’s funny how that disappeared after 1987.  The same thing occurred with the ‘70 GTO with the separate front clip.   

I remember Amt/Ertl announcing a stock car version of that RR but it never materialized.

11 hours ago, mikos said:

It is very odd. Ertl announced they were going to reissue it as a Richard Petty NASCAR racer (I think around 1996), then ended up canceling the release because they couldn't find the tool. The irony (and why at the time I thought they'd cancelled it) is that they had to restore it back to stock for the 1987 reissue. In 87, AMT/MPC/Ertl were still producing stateside in Dyersville, Iowa, so it seems odd to me they could lose the tool. But, my sources tell me that like a number of others that were run as recently as 2009, it is MIA.