Model Cars Magazine Forum

It’s on! For those of you who would like to see the 1971/1972 MPC Plymouth Road Runner re-issued. Now is your chance to let them know!

drksd4848

On 8/31/2023 at 4:38 PM, Motor City said:

yes, a '70 GTX or Road Runner 

It would seem like the ‘69 Road Runner would be right in Moebius’s wheelhouse (considering that it would never see the light of day because jo-hann is dead) 

On 9/1/2023 at 5:59 PM, drksd4848 said:

It would seem like the ‘69 Road Runner would be right in Moebius’s wheelhouse (considering that it would never see the light of day because jo-hann is dead) 

Jo-han doesn’t have to be dead.  Round2 can form a partnership with Okey Spaulding who owns the name and some of the tooling and they can start cloning some of those old kits.  Better to do it now while Okey is still alive and strong.

Yeah, it might suck for the collectors, but we need some of those old kits back even if in clone form.

Doubt it will happen. The tooling is pretty much worthless becuase it can't be used in the newer injection modeling machines.

Okie has basically the name. Licensing would still have to be obtained to manufacture new kits. I think round 2 has projects of their own that make more sense and will produce more modern technology kits.

The biggest problem is that people equate the prices on eBay as an indication that the kits are going to be a financial success.  Auctions prices only indicate that there were multiple people that were willing to spend the money and nothing more. The basis for producing a kit is there is sufficient demand to get a return on investment on the costs of producing a kit otherwise its not going to happen.

Although scanning and restoring or creating older kits is a little less expensive there are still substantial cost in producing those kits. And again there has to be enough demand to justify those costs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikos said:

Jo-han doesn’t have to be dead.  Round2 can form a partnership with Okey Spaulding who owns the name and some of the tooling and they can start cloning some of those old kits.  Better to do it now while Okey is still alive and strong.

Yeah, it might suck for the collectors, but we need some of those old kits back even if in clone form.

Okey may still be alive and strong but JoHan certainly is not. 

Like Bob said, the only thing he has right now is the JoHan name and some assorted parts. I highly doubt he even has any licensing from any car companies to produce the models anymore. 

The only good thing about the JoHan Road Runners was the bodies anyway. Round2 would be much better off just scanning a real Road Runner and using it to create a new body for their existing chassis. After all, that's about what most builders who want to build a more serious replica do, just use the body parts and swap out a much better chassis. 

This has been gone over again and again on this board so many times it should be a pinned topic. 🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

…there are still substantial cost in producing those kits. And again there has to be enough demand to justify those costs.

Speaking of demand, how is the Coronet kit selling (the one with the trailer)?  Steve G had mentioned that how that one sells would dictate whether or not we would see the 71/72.

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

The only good thing about the JoHan Road Runners was the bodies anyway. Round2 would be much better off just scanning a real Road Runner and using it to create a new body for their existing chassis. After all, that's about what most builders who want to build a more serious replica do, just use the body parts and swap out a much better chassis. 

I agree. Fixing the body would be the easiest and cheapest way. 

On 8/30/2023 at 7:05 PM, Dave Darby said:

No, separate tool. It was most recently reissued by MPC/Ertl in 1987, then the tool mysteriously went MIA after that. 

20230830_220214.jpg

2vCv2DfgxQKCP.jpg

I really Like this kit, warts and all. I hope Round2 can find it.

The Blue Car looks just Awesome, Dave!

20 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Like Bob said, the only thing he has right now is the JoHan name and some assorted parts. I highly doubt he even has any licensing from any car companies to produce the models anymore. 

This has been gone over again and again on this board so many times it should be a pinned topic. 🙄

Amen, Steve. Okey has  dreams but no way to make them come true.

On 9/3/2023 at 8:21 PM, Can-Con said:

Add me to the list agreeing here. The Powell Pickup saga should have ably demonstrated that the Spaulding incarnation of Johan is well and truly done. Johan isn't pining for the fjords here, folks.

6 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Add me to the list agreeing here. The Powell Pickup saga should have ably demonstrated that the Spaulding incarnation of Johan is well and truly done. Johan isn't pining for the fjords here, folks.

So, what's the final outcome of the Powell Pickup.  Were any sold?  Last word on this was that someone stole the finished model that was supposed to be displayed.

7 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

So, what's the final outcome of the Powell Pickup.  Were any sold?  Last word on this was that someone stole the finished model that was supposed to be displayed.

As of right now the whole project has gone dark because of the "stolen test sample." Without question, it's an entirely absurd situation. It's a 3D printed kit. Not resin cast or injection molded, but 3D printed. USCP, Texas 3D Customs, Iceman Collections, and countless others have produced 3D printed kits in greater detail compared to what was shown with the proposed Powell AND with shorter lead times AND with tremendously better promotion. The fact that he can't even pull off this project, which had to have been principally farmed out as far as the 3D modeling and rendering so it was effectively Spaulding bankrolling, rubber-stamping, licensing, and promoting the effort, has got to demonstrate that there's more life in a cafeteria meatloaf than there is at Johan.

7 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

As of right now the whole project has gone dark because of the "stolen test sample." Without question, it's an entirely absurd situation. It's a 3D printed kit. Not resin cast or injection molded, but 3D printed. USCP, Texas 3D Customs, Iceman Collections, and countless others have produced 3D printed kits in greater detail compared to what was shown with the proposed Powell AND with shorter lead times AND with tremendously better promotion. The fact that he can't even pull off this project, which had to have been principally farmed out as far as the 3D modeling and rendering so it was effectively Spaulding bankrolling, rubber-stamping, licensing, and promoting the effort, has got to demonstrate that there's more life in a cafeteria meatloaf than there is at Johan.

I like the meatloaf analogy.  At least the meatloaf is very tasty and easily obtainable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 11:59 AM, Dave Darby said:

It is very odd. Ertl announced they were going to reissue it as a Richard Petty NASCAR racer (I think around 1996), then ended up canceling the release because they couldn't find the tool. The irony (and why at the time I thought they'd cancelled it) is that they had to restore it back to stock for the 1987 reissue. In 87, AMT/MPC/Ertl were still producing stateside in Dyersville, Iowa, so it seems odd to me they could lose the tool. But, my sources tell me that like a number of others that were run as recently as 2009, it is MIA.

A good friend of mine did new tooling and tooling repair for Ertl back in the day. He was always amazed at how poorly the tooling was labeled. He would occasionally have the wrong tool sent to him for repair.

I have a test shot of the 66 T-bird craftsman/promo from the 90's. It came out of a molded labeled 63 Thunderbird. At least it was a Thunderbird :) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2023 at 3:58 PM, GMP440 said:

I think the reception to the subject is what sealed its faith,  people weren't as excited for the pickup as Oakley thought and then It just happened to be "Stolen"

On 9/28/2023 at 5:01 PM, Carmak said:

A good friend of mine did new tooling and tooling repair for Ertl back in the day. He was always amazed at how poorly the tooling was labeled. He would occasionally have the wrong tool sent to him for repair.

I have a test shot of the 66 T-bird craftsman/promo from the 90's. It came out of a molded labeled 63 Thunderbird. At least it was a Thunderbird :) 

Seems like the tool for the 61 Galaxie was misslabeled as the 60 Starliner.

Last I had left it with Steve G was a lot of this would depend on how well the Coronet R/T with the trailer sells. If I recall, that was a clone model.  

I literally offered up my 71 Road Runner reissue (1987) and my resin body 1972 MPC Road Runner for the cloning but he said there was no need. So we will wait and see… No word as of now.

Edited by drksd4848

7 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

Last I had left it with Steve G was a lot of this would depend on how well the Coronet R/T with the trailer sells. If I recall, that was a clone model.  

I literally offered up my 71 Road Runner reissue (1987) and my resin body 1972 MPC Road Runner for the cloning but he said there was no need. So we will wait and see… No word as of now.

I’m sure the Coronet R/T with trailer was a big seller.   If they clone it, they need to clone an original annual/promo.  Reissues and resin copies are fine, but the closer they can clone it after the most original issue release, the better it is IMO.

20 hours ago, mikos said:

I’m sure the Coronet R/T with trailer was a big seller.   If they clone it, they need to clone an original annual/promo.  Reissues and resin copies are fine, but the closer they can clone it after the most original issue release, the better it is IMO.

Well, if they need an original they should contact this guy…

I bet he has the lost tooling as well.