Model Cars Magazine Forum

It’s on! For those of you who would like to see the 1971/1972 MPC Plymouth Road Runner re-issued. Now is your chance to let them know!

drksd4848

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Don't worry about perfection or pining for a reissue that might never happen. Get what you want and built it while you can because you never know what might happen in the future.🙂

Amen. I'm trying to move in this direction myself, Steve.

Coming from a builder of your calibre this is timely & thoughtful advice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I agree, over 300 bucks is insane for an old Plymouth annual re-release. I'd never pay that either.

Good thing they don't really go for that. There's 3 unbuilt on e-bay now. two are about $120 and the third is about $80. 

You could buy about 3 current kits or one of those. I guess it all depends on how bad you really want it, right. 😉

I will tell you a secret though, there's very few modellers who can build perfection. I've been doing this for about 50 years now and I know I sure can't do it. 

Don't worry about perfection or pining for a reissue that might never happen. Get what you want and built it while you can because you never know what might happen in the future.🙂

Who knows?  Maybe I will bite the bullet someday if I find one unbuilt and intact for non-insane price.  Truth be told, that '87 reissue was a gift from my brother... for Christmas 1988! It was one of three that I owned: I had actually bought one for myself out of a model catalog (forget the name, but I'm sure many of you had at one point ordered from it as well) when it was first issued in fall of '87.  With it came a set of fred caddy decals I also ordered. I built it to make it it look like the '72 that my parents owned.  Shortly after, I received one for my birthday in May of '88 (I had turned 13).  I built that one as well. (and I still have the remains of both)  Then I got the one I have now the following Christmas.  I had intended to build it as well, but got sidetracked for the last 35 years. At this point though, I don't want to mess with it; that thing is like an unmolested museum artifact.  

Another truth to be told, I did offer it up to SteveG in case Round 2 needed a model to clone (dead serious on this).  He declined.  Obviously cloning one wasn't in the plans over there.

Edited by drksd4848

Guys....the team at Round 2 are well aware of the interest in the modeling community for "clones" of the '71 and '72 Road Runner.  

My past experience is that in these types of cases, the model companies add such a topic to their ongoing list of potential projects.  Each year (or budget cycle), the companies go through their potential projects list and re-rank the ideas from top to bottom.  Rankings often change each year given how the kit market is developing.  Then a budget is placed against the list, along with other considerations like the cost of the project, the timing sequence, coverage of key subsegments (pickups, hot rods, drag kits, etc as well as non-auto topics like sci-fi) and the availability of engineering/tooling resources to support the projects.   Then the final list of projects to be produced that year is decided.  Topics that miss the list that year go onto the list for next year.   Each company has their own approach to this process, but the general description above is broadly representative of what occurs. 

All of which is to say, again, Round 2 knows very well of the interest on this subject.   But when and how they react is subject to a whole number of considerations beyond just the feedback on the subject from the public and this forum. 

My own uneducated guess is that this kit topic has a fairly good chance of eventually occurring, but as to when and how, your guess is as good as mine. 

Finally, as you've heard me say before, chances for this sort of kit topic increase notably if the current "clone" kits on the market sell really well.  Speaking of which, have you all purchased the '68 R/T convertible kit, and placed your advanced orders (when the order banks open) for the '68 R/T hardtop?  

Hopefully supprotive....TIM 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I remember SteveG had mentioned that they wanted to see how well the Coronet w/ trailer sold since much of that was cloned I believe. (seems like it did well if they released the hardtop version)

Look, I make my posts with a wink and a nudge ;)  I believe if Round2 could reissue it, they would have a long time ago. Something legitimate is in the way. It just may not make good business sense for them right now - or ever. From that  perspective, I couldn’t blame them if that is the case. 

Doesn’t mean I am going to stop nudging though ;)

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Finally, as you've heard me say before, chances for this sort of kit topic increase notably if the current "clone" kits on the market sell really well.  Speaking of which, have you all purchased the '68 R/T convertible kit, and placed your advanced orders (when the order banks open) for the '68 R/T hardtop?  

Maybe the R/T hardtop will do better, but I put my order in for a case of the '68 R/T convertibles based almost entirely on the hype from Mopar modelers on forums and social media groups like this. I've sold two cases of Fujimi Chevy Astro Vans in the time span that I've had those Dodge convertibles. They haven't been a dud they don't sell particularly well even compared to other Craftsman Plus kits like the Nova wagon, '68 GTO, or the '64 Comet. 

22 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

Maybe the R/T hardtop will do better, but I put my order in for a case of the '68 R/T convertibles based almost entirely on the hype from Mopar modelers on forums and social media groups like this. I've sold two cases of Fujimi Chevy Astro Vans in the time span that I've had those Dodge convertibles. They haven't been a dud they don't sell particularly well even compared to other Craftsman Plus kits like the Nova wagon, '68 GTO, or the '64 Comet. 

I would think hardtops would sell better than convertibles..more appeal and wider range of possible builds...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Guys....the team at Round 2 are well aware of the interest in the modeling community for "clones" of the '71 and '72 Road Runner.  

My past experience is that in these types of cases, the model companies add such a topic to their ongoing list of potential projects.  Each year (or budget cycle), the companies go through their potential projects list and re-rank the ideas from top to bottom.  Rankings often change each year given how the kit market is developing.  Then a budget is placed against the list, along with other considerations like the cost of the project, the timing sequence, coverage of key subsegments (pickups, hot rods, drag kits, etc as well as non-auto topics like sci-fi) and the availability of engineering/tooling resources to support the projects.   Then the final list of projects to be produced that year is decided.  Topics that miss the list that year go onto the list for next year.   Each company has their own approach to this process, but the general description above is broadly representative of what occurs. 

All of which is to say, again, Round 2 knows very well of the interest on this subject.   But when and how they react is subject to a whole number of considerations beyond just the feedback on the subject from the public and this forum. 

My own uneducated guess is that this kit topic has a fairly good chance of eventually occurring, but as to when and how, your guess is as good as mine. 

Thanks Tim, that's a pretty good overview and explanation of the process.  Right now, there a number of other factors that have temporarily slowed our development process and schedule including the CNY holiday, I hope to get things up to speed very soon. 

Everyone should note that Round 2 has an extensive kit archive, plus access to my personal vintage collection and regular resources that we go to when we need something.  Declining the offer of a particular kit while generous does not reflect our interest in subject matter one way or the other.  Getting new projects done is a very delicate balance between patience and determination.  Right now, the key word is patience. If and when there is some solid news, I'm sure you'll see it here. 

-Steve 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Yes on both.  

8 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Maybe the R/T hardtop will do better... They haven't been a dud they don't sell particularly well even compared to other Craftsman Plus kits like the Nova wagon, '68 GTO, or the '64 Comet. 

That is disappointing to hear...  Glad the GTO is selling.  Wasn't that a clone?

BTW, I stand by what I said.  As much as I nudge, complain, grip, etc.  I truly believe, especially at this point, that if they could have released it, they would have.  And if they decide not to, I believe there must have been a really good reason why.  Heck, if they can make more money investing in Star Trek models then they could investing the same amount of money and resources into the '71/72, who could blame them for passing on it?  Just trying to say I'm realist.  Sometimes, I like to nudge though ;)

I think the nicest thing is we've been heard, whether they make it or not.  They know.  And I thank SteveG for that.  It's nice that he weighs in.  And it's nice to be acknowledged :)   

Edited by drksd4848

5 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

It's common knowledge that sales performance of ragtops aren't spectacular, probably the reason Round-2 released it first, it's the first downpayment towards ROI on the tooling, the hardtop and other siblings will speed things up, of that I'm sure. so no worries ;)

Edited by Luc Janssens

8 minutes ago, drksd4848 said:

That is disappointing to hear...  Glad the GTO is selling.  Wasn't that a clone?

Yes. The '68 GTO was another one of the clone kits. I believe it was salvaged from what had become the Beswick funny car kit. To date, at least over my counter, the Nova wagon remains the most successful of this line of kits but even its success is dwarfed by the sales of genuinely new tooling like the Moebius Chevy II Gasser or the Revell '71 Mustang. Then again, mine is just one shop. Other shops in other areas plus Hobby Lobby and Walmart seem to do fairly well with them. 

11 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

In the end; did you end up selling the whole case of 68 Coronet convt kits?

• Like 1

Thus far, I've purchased 5 of the Demons , 4 of the 1963 F-100s, and 4 of the 1960 F-100s ; last year I bought 2 of the Coronet convertible - I'm going to buy 3-4 of the hardtop. 

Likewise, I've purchased 2 each of the 1965 and 1968 GTOs , and 2 each of the 1963 Nova Wagons ( 1 each of the car-only curbside, and 1 each of the 'full detail' / trailer combo ).

I would just die if the 1971/1972 Road Runner was to see a clone-and-improve treatment ! Especially if - as I've mentioned prior, ad nauseam , the 1971 RTS customising parts were included (similar to the custom parts in the 1972 annual).

Thanks to @SteveG, @tim boyd, et alia , for their professional input and for keeping us posted with news, corrections, etc., etc.

18 minutes ago, drodg said:

Interesting.   

Like I said, I'm just one shop out of thousands and I do know that other shops have done better with the '68 convertible, but at my counter I see two key things. 

1 - Younger builders don't even pick the kit up. 
2 - Older builders don't like the price ($35 shelf price against a $42.99 MSRP)

I'll also point out that despite only having been on my website for a fraction of the period of time that I've had the '68 Coronet convertibles, the reissue of the '70 Coronet Super Bee has generated more web traffic on my e-commerce site than the '68 Coronet convertible. That's not anecdotal observation, that's data driven fact. Strangely enough, the auto kit generating the most traffic on my website so far in 2024? Revell's '56 Chevy Del Ray. 

8 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

Like I said, I'm just one shop out of thousands and I do know that other shops have done better with the '68 convertible, but at my counter I see two key things. 

1 - Younger builders don't even pick the kit up. 
2 - Older builders don't like the price ($35 shelf price against a $42.99 MSRP)

I'll also point out that despite only having been on my website for a fraction of the period of time that I've had the '68 Coronet convertibles, the reissue of the '70 Coronet Super Bee has generated more web traffic on my e-commerce site than the '68 Coronet convertible. That's not anecdotal observation, that's data driven fact. Strangely enough, the auto kit generating the most traffic on my website so far in 2024? Revell's '56 Chevy Del Ray. 

I assume Justin that the 71 Demon has sold well for you ?   

29 minutes ago, drodg said:

I assume Justin that the 71 Demon has sold well for you ?   

Haven't had them in my shop yet. The few pre-orders I had for the kit were dropped as customers informed me they purchased them on eBay from Walmart resellers. As such, I dropped my pre-orders with my distributors and I will wait for the next go-around in the production cycle if at all. 

It's also worth pointing out that I did a quick dig into my 2023 PoS numbers just to make sure I was backing up what I'd said and for comparison here's my top ten on volume for 2023. 

1: Fujimi 1/24 Chevy Astro 
2: Revell '71 Mustang 
3: Revell '71 Olds 442
4: Revell '70 Torino 
5: Tamiya R32 Skyline GT-R
6: Revell '39 Chevy Sedan Delivery 
7: Moebius Ford Ramp Truck 
8: Moebius Golden Commandos AFX 
9: Revell Bronco Bass Boat combo 
10: Moebius F-250 with plow

Edited by Justin Porter
Additional Info
  • Like 1

Going down a rabbit hole 😊

Justin noted that for his business the sales of the Moebius Novas and Revell Mustang have exceeded sales of Round2 clone kits. I wonder if this is partially a function sales channel differences.

The Moebius kits and some new release Revell kits are hobby shop/online hobby retailers only. Round2 has island/end cap displays at Walmart that often sell kits below the prices of hobby shop/online hobby retailers.

For example: I bought my first Round2 68 Coronet convertible and Moebius Nova from a local hobby shop at retail price. Later I bought a couple more Novas from the hobby shop at retail price and a couple more Coronets at a non-hobby shop at less than retail price.

For this my example my hobby shop will see sales of the Nova higher than the Coronet, yet Round2 and Moebius will experience equal sales.

I will always try to support my LOCAL hobby shop for the first kit of a new release, but additional kits are bought at a lower price if possible. I personally buy almost all of my Moebius kits from hobby shop/online hobby retailers and less than half of my Round2 kits from hobby shop/online hobby retailers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have no more LHS to support. So, All of my buying is either Online or H.L. But the selection at HL is very stale, and all the new kits I want are coming from Mail Orders, now. I need to get the 68 Coronet HT to go with my 'Vert, but the Ford Trucks pushed it down the list. I may need a second '60 F-100, just for the spare parts and trailer. It is a very nice kit.

9 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I may need a second '60 F-100, just for the spare parts and trailer. It is a very nice kit.

Wonder if Round2 eventually down the road will do a utilitarian short box step side.

Edited by Luc Janssens

10 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Wonder if Round2 eventually down the road will do a utilitarian short box step side.

I have no idea if they will.

What I will guarantee, is that they have plans to release those two pickup kits in other boxes, with different decals and options. I can see the '60 with the Coke Machine from the '60/61 Ranchero and Coke decals. I can also see the '63 with the trailer and a set of dedicated Race Team markings, for the Camper, Truck and Trailer.

A set of One Ton Wheels on the '60 might be nice to see, as well. Add in a wrecker boom and front brush guard and you would have a decent Tow Truck.

Getting back to the original topic of the 71/72 Roadrunner.  Maybe there will be an announcement of that kit at the show that Steve G of Round 2 will be attending tomorrow?