Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse...3D Print

Jhedir6

First wip for the year for me and I'm going with this 3D printed 2024 Mustang Dark Horse.

Car files https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/ford-mustang-2024-dark-horse

Brake files https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/ultimate-brake-disc-w-caliper-collection-1-24-scale-model-accessories

Tire file https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/michelin-pilot-sport-tire-v2

Please note, I don't sell prints and these files are not mine but can be purchased at the links above. Many hobby shops that sell gaming miniatures now 3D print and offer printing services if you cant find anyone locally.

Here are a couple mock up shots in Chitubox slicing software. This was a quick mock up so things might not be 100% aligned. 

mockup1.png.897d96f10932e6916f3ac416a5f53433.png

mockup2.png.252a58c52ee10e69d1b01549d1263190.png

mockup3.png.f4e6e64874d4e2f4062b469bbf43fbff.png

mockup4.png.a75adf0dd55e7414b729fe6ab5e5a720.png

All my files are sliced and ready to print and I started printing last night. Will likely take a couple days to print all the files.

All the files in the above mock ups come with the original files except the tires and brakes. The tires in the original files are just generic so I add in some Michelin Pilot Sport Cups as well as some slotted and drilled rotors and branded Brembo brakes to add some more detail. 

This is a curbside kit, I have the files for a Coyote v8 but I don't feel like getting into making an engine bay. Just wanted a quick print/paint and build kit.

Thanks for looking. 

Edited by Jhedir6
  • Like 6

Small update:

First file is printed. This is the back 3/4 of the body and I'm super happy on how well it's come out. I can't see any flaws at the moment but I wont remove the supports till I have the front clip printed and cured (it's printing now and should be done later tonight) so I can attach the two halves right away to prevent any warpage of the panels cause they're left "open".

I'm not 100% sure on colour I'm going to go with yet, but I have this can of TS-53 Deep Metallic Blue I was going to use on another project (going a different route with that one now). I'm completely open to suggestions too.

Now pics of the first print. 

20230210_221334.thumb.jpg.54febdca280d1b831ef44681e74d63a1.jpg

20230210_221401.thumb.jpg.f92882aa84ab7158358d7351761deed2.jpg

20230210_221411.thumb.jpg.1ab6010b987205fa449f1bac9e9d182f.jpg

Comments and criticisms always welcome.

• Like 3

I was looking at a new Mustang the other day and two colors really got my heart rate up, one was a pearl yellow tint that is a tri coat requiring a pearl yellow, or even a bright gold base with a transparent. (Kandy) mid coat and a top coat(s) of clear, the other is one that I originally saw on a gen 7 Corvette and it's a red tint tri coat and the colors are even available from Tamiya to make it easier, first use one of the Metallic or Pearl reds (the Red metallic will have a little more glitter, or sparkle however you want to call it, and a pearl or Mica red will have a "glow" to the highlights because the pearls are a lot finer metallic) then use transparent red over it as a mid coat just remember the more you add the more you high the base and the darker the red, I try to just get the color even and stop there but it's purely up to the painter. And again the final coats are clear that's the "Tri" part in a Tri Coat color. Good luck I know you'll find a good color even if you have to look at a House of Kolor chip book for getting that just right repeatable color (you know how nice cars seem to attract parking lot chips and dings and don't even get me started on birds or that one neighbor who thought giving his kid a BB gun for Christmas was a good idea.😂😂😉

Another small update:

Front clip is printed, as are the wheels and tires (forgot to take a pic of those)

20230211_050453.thumb.jpg.3f33565e88f9b1ebe62ccfc999c44ce8.jpg

And a shot of the body together....please note I havent done all the body work yet, so the seam at the base on the side skirt will be gone, eventually.

20230211_115615.thumb.jpg.6a86f6fc707672521f17424f01385416.jpg

Chassis is printing now, will likely take till tonight to get both halves printed, cleaned and glued together, then I can start on working on the ride height, I'll be adjusting it down to sit lower and meaner looking. 

Still undecided on paint but leaning towards either a pearl white (Tamiya's LP 43) or Ford Viking blue. I want something light so I can contrast the darker plastics rather than have something that's completely dark. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Zen said:

Will there be any detail on the bottom side of the chassis? Like differential, tranny, etc.?

No. I've not seen an underside shot of the new Mustang yet. The designer just did a flat bottom with some ridges as a design, looks like the bottom of a GT3 car basically.

I'll  have a pic up in a bit of the chassis bottom. 

14 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

The New stang looks great, but that's a good question! How are you going to do the glass?

13 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Probably could modify the glass and chassis from the Revell '15 or '18 snap kits...since the 1:1 S650 is an evolution of the S550..

For the glass I ordered in some clear resin. The files come with "glass" so I'm going to try, for the first time, to print the glass out in clear then I'll sand and polish it then UV clear coat it to see how it turns out. 

• 3 weeks later...