Model Cars Magazine Forum

Baldwin 0-4-2 Plantation Locomotive in 1/25 Scale

I was looking for small steamer for a load for my recent Maine Locomotive and Machine Mack R688ST build.  I ran across this on an auction site, seemed to fit the bill, 1/25 scale and small enough to be hauled.  After I got it built it seemed a bit large but height and width scale ok, the length is a bit long.  It's a metal kit, reminds me of the old Hubley metal car kits.  Made in Japan under the name Waco.  I've searched the internet and couldn't find any info on the kit.  Normally, I'd be hesitant to build up a rare kit like this but a previous owner started it so it wasn't anywhere near pristine.  I also had thoughts this was more of a fantasy but Baldwin did build these 36" gauge locos for plantations in the early 1900's.  A couple stayed in the states and are still preserved, most went overseas.

P1030659.jpg

P1030660.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Really cool model.....well done!!! I'd like to find something like it

I kinda stumbled on it, seller said he took it to his local hobby shop and the guy said he never saw or heard of it.  I searched for info but didn't find a thing.  Probably very rare, though they were made for both the Japanese and english speaking markets as the instructions are in both languages. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...