Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is your oldest unfinished W.I.P

I started an AMT '58 Impala custom project in August of 2011. So, nearly twelve years for that one. I have some others that have probably been lingering more than five years! It's been around three years since I've finished a build, due to selling the house and moving.

OK guys, I'm game. 

This one was started back around late 1976 or early 1977 with the intent of being one of a series of models to be entered in the 1978 or 1979 MPC Model Car Customizing Contest Championship.  It was an outgrowth of a commission from then-AMT to build up three models for their upcoming annual sales rep meeting of what were to be the followup series of AMT Ford Van Custom kits.  I had to scratchbuild the new parts (from AMT engineering Dept. blueprints) and then complete the models.  My own model was to be an extension of some ofthe design themes from those three custom van kits, but done with (what at the time I considered to be) more good taste than the AMT kits.  

I worked on it for a few months, (note the old AMT body putty), sketeched out a possible paint theme, and then in the box it went, where it has remained for the last 46 years....

DSC 0338

OH....just thought of one even older...will post that one next...TB

This one dates from late 1968 or early 1969.  After I won 4th place nationwide in the 1968 Dodge/MPC/Car Model Magazine Funny Car Contest, the CM Editor sent a form letter asking me to write some stories for the mag.  I came up with four or five different projects, but of course had no way to photograph them, and was soon distracted (for the next 11 years) by competing in the MPC National Customizing Contest series.  Of the four, one was finally completed in the late 1980s, another in 2012 (and featured in Model Cars magazine), a third in 2021 (my replica of the first gen Prock and Howell '33 Willys) but this one still sits in a box after... what...54 years????

It was to be a rear engined (two Avanit R4 V8's, side by side) drag or speed exhibition car using the Revell Miss Deal '53 Stude funny car (really, AWB) body and some of the engine mounting hardware from the rail dragster in the AMT Double Dragster kit.  The frame was built from aluminum tubing and sheet styrene, and a few leftover pieces from the aforementioned Dodge Funny Car winner that were originally in the AMT '53 Stude funny car kit.   I don't beleive I did any more work on this past probably middle 1969 or so....

DSC 0757

Well, I’ve got at least one of them too.  I started this build in about 1986.  I was hoping to take it to a NNL Nats where I knew a bunch of my buddies would be with their amazing builds, and I was hoping to build something that I wouldn’t be ashamed to set on the table near all of theirs. B6B70B41-BA56-461D-A6E3-4D196FA62A2C.thumb.jpeg.9fae960fa71a5c4aed42bd34c68e7df9.jpeg I scratch built all brass working IFS, and IRS, headers, exhaust system, gas tank and had it all chrome plated.  I also milled custom aluminum valve covers, oil pan, floor boards, firewall, and dash, and had them anodized, and polished.  I opened the doors, filled the roof, and did ghost flames under Tamiya Clear Blue acrylic, over Tamiya XF56 Metaklic Grey.  Everything was looking awesome, so after four days, I shot it with three coats of Tamiya X-22 Clear acrylic.  I was overjoyed with how it looked with the clear on it, so I set it aside for a week to cure.

23519560-9F65-4B45-AC70-E7CF2334A237.jpeg.05615457aaaa4b278252f8f61db69d62.jpegWhen I came back to it a week later, I was horrified to see that the paint had all seriously cracked all the way down to the base coat.  The paint was ruined.  I was so deflated, that I threw everything in a box, and put it away for the next 32 years.  I opened the box about five years ago, and pulled out all of the parts.  Thinking that most of it was still ok, I decided to build a new frame out of brass, and strip the body. 8C37C3EF-EFCA-4FFB-AE96-A947A06BA886.thumb.jpeg.6d5c475a92949783bee09d718c8b9166.jpeg77FE9F69-D9ED-4CC4-ABC3-FF72FC5F140C.thumb.jpeg.39a0cd0b598f60dc75afe531cde54503.jpeg That is the extent of it for now, but I am pretty happy with the frame, so soon I hope to get back on this build, If not to complete it, maybe just build the frame as a roller with engine, and suspension components put the primered body on stands, and set it up in a garage diorama of a back yard hotrod project.      A5FD5852-010F-4294-8BB4-E490147D8CF4.thumb.jpeg.6c0616e479e3c79471491ded14d27be7.jpeg               Thanks for looking,

TS

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, foghorn62 said:

...When I came back to it a week later, I was horrified to see that the paint had all seriously cracked all the way down to the base coat. 

Beautiful work, heartbreaker on the paint.

But you know...I've seen old lacquer jobs pulled out of barns looking pretty much like that, and you probably couldn't get that effect if you tried for months.  

• Like 1

My oldest "only" dates back to 2011.  I had the idea to create a phantom '59 Cadillac Nomad.  Ecto 1 body, grafted on the engine bay from the Monogram '59 convertible.  Then work on creating the roof from a '59 Chevy wagon (drag race model, I can't remember the name).  I needed to narrow the roof a couple of mm's to fit.  It was all going pretty well until I got to the interior, where it stalled and got put back in the box.  I'm thinking I'll just tint the windows and finish it, we'll see.

ECTO-3.jpg

066.JPG

067.JPG

SAM_1045.JPG

SAM_1800.JPG

SAM_1802.JPG

SAM_1916.JPG

• 2 weeks later...