Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Pro stock series are making a come back ?

Mr mopar

Read this on FB today , By Mike Powell.

Great News From Round2
I was on the phone yesterday with Round2 and they told me that they are planning on reissuing the Pro Stock Series but they did not give me a release date or which order they will be in but they are going to bring all 8 of them back, like they did with the Grumpy's Vega... I will keep you informed as soon I hear more... They might bring back the Pinto's and the Mustang II's like they did with the Bruce Larson USA-1 Vgea
What you all think of this Fake or real ?

As I remember these kits were mostly stock with the following unique parts added:

* Pro-stock engine additions

* Wheels and tires

* Hood scoop

* Interior mods (some kits)

* Decals

Existing Round2 tooling that is possibly suitable for a Pro-Stock version with abobe noted modifications:

Grumpy’s Toy – Yes

Grumpy’s Vega – Yes

Minuteman – Yes

Mowtown Missile – No (73/74 Cuda promo tooling may exist and could be modified)

Sox and Martin – No (76 Dart Sport could be modified)

Screamin Eagle – Yes

Dick Landy – No (70 Challenger could be modified)

California Flash - Yes

3 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Read this on FB today , By Mike Powell.

Great News From Round2
I was on the phone yesterday with Round2 and they told me that they are planning on reissuing the Pro Stock Series but they did not give me a release date or which order they will be in but they are going to bring all 8 of them back, like they did with the Grumpy's Vega... I will keep you informed as soon I hear more... They might bring back the Pinto's and the Mustang II's like they did with the Bruce Larson USA-1 Vgea
What you all think of this Fake or real ?

There's nobody you could easily call into at Round2 other than Customer Service, and they wouldn't have access to future plans or would they share that kind of information over the phone.   If it's not posted on one our social media pages by Chad or heard directly from me Jamie, or John G. it's not accurate. 

Would I like to do more MPC Pro-stock items, sure.  Just like all the missing AMT and MPC annuals we no longer have, anything is possible but that's a really long list right now.  

-Steve

Edited by SteveG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SteveG said:

There's nobody you could easily call into at Round2 other than Customer Service, and they wouldn't have access to future plans or would they share that kind of information over the phone.   If it's not posted on one our social media pages by Chad or heard directly from me Jamie, or John G. it's not accurate. 

Would I like to do more MPC Pro-stock items, sure.  Just like all the missing AMT and MPC annuals we no longer have, anything is possible but that's a really long list right now.  

-Steve

Thanks Steve for stepping in early on this one and providing the straight scoop for us.  

For well over a decade now I have been nicely lobbying Round 2 to reissue the two MPC Pinto Pro Stock kits.  They are in my judgement by far the most thoroughly accurate of all the MPC Pro Stock kits of the era, and not surpassed in that regard by any 1/25th scale Pro Stock kits (only the JoHan S&M 'cuda was in the same league) until the Monogram pro-stocks released in 1984.  I recall at least ten years ago sitting with John G. in my basement going through these two kits parts tree by tree and hearing that many of the tool inserts for the MPC Pintos (not just the Pro Stocks) were missing, and thus the chance of a reissue of those two kits being unlikely.  

I'd suspect that is still largely the case today.  But given what Steve and John and Tom do have up their sleeve that is actually being worked on, I would not bet big money against any past AMT/MPC/Lindberg/Polar Lights kit being reissued at some point in the future.  Just as long as we all continue to buy what they are actually releasing...

TIM 

• Thanks 1

There were sixteen individual kits, four each year 1972 through 1975.  Some are identical parts-wise ('74 and '75 Vegas, '73 and '74 Dusters), many are variations on the same tooling which was modified every year for the annual stock kits.  The Challenger would be off the table right now too, that body was converted to what is now the Ramchargers funny car.

• Like 1

The Cuda was reissued as a "street freak" in the '80s. Not too long ago I bought one at the local toy show for IIRC $25. So the molds for that one SHOULD still exist. 

It could use a better grille, though. B)