Model Cars Magazine Forum

DDA Collectibles Holdens

Roncla

I have the plain Kingswood version and something that nobody seems to have mentioned yet is that the front seats are flexible vinyl.  The seat back in my kit is warped.  I won't be using it anyway but still...

lYYAvc.jpg

Obviously it's a throwback to the diecast history of the kit but I think that in this day and age large vinyl parts are not a great way to go about things.  Another thing that has me scratching my head is that the front and rear seats have different upholstery patterns. They could tool up different parts for 4 kits but this one they couldn't be bothered with?????

l8LOZQ.jpg

One question for others with this kit- Does your bonnet have massive sink marks? Mine has some savage sink marks on top and I was wondering if anyone else has this too.

Cheers

ShawnS

I hadn't noticed the different pattern on the seats, that's frustrating. The bonnet on my Kingswood is OK as far as I can tell too.

Another frustration was no decals for the lion on the hubcaps which look a bit off too. I've had a go at designing some to 3D Print, I'll let you know how they come out.

hubcap.png

On 4/4/2023 at 9:14 PM, ShawnS said:

I have the plain Kingswood version and something that nobody seems to have mentioned yet is that the front seats are flexible vinyl.  The seat back in my kit is warped.  I won't be using it anyway but still...

lYYAvc.jpg

Obviously it's a throwback to the diecast history of the kit but I think that in this day and age large vinyl parts are not a great way to go about things.  Another thing that has me scratching my head is that the front and rear seats have different upholstery patterns. They could tool up different parts for 4 kits but this one they couldn't be bothered with?????

l8LOZQ.jpg

One question for others with this kit- Does your bonnet have massive sink marks? Mine has some savage sink marks on top and I was wondering if anyone else has this too.

Cheers

ShawnS

I have the Custom version and since it doesn't come with a bonnet any sink mark issues don't effect this version.

The front and rear seats do have matching upholstery patterns and the front seats are made of a flexible vinyl. 

To my eye the front seats have an unrealistic amount of recline.

IMG_2002.thumb.jpeg.fab1fca87aa901f5363662d0a76cae5d.jpeg 

1 hour ago, Roncla said:

I have the Custom version and since it doesn't come with a bonnet any sink mark issues don't effect this version.

The front and rear seats do have matching upholstery patterns and the front seats are made of a flexible vinyl. 

Yes, seeing that with mine as well. I think I can scratch something to prop them up.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2023 at 10:10 AM, Roncla said:

I see what you mean,but oddly enough I owned a 1:1 HQ Monaro years ago with the seat reclining mech badly worn & the seatback would often jump back  a couple of notches after a hard launch. LOL  (added bit of realism ? )

• Like 2

I've been working on one of these for a couple of days. Its not too bad imo. My hood and trunk lid werecovered in sink marks but some 240 grit sanding sticks soon knocked them back. I've ditched the front seats in favour of some from a bmw e46 transkit. I was going to chop it but the way the rear glass fits has put me off that plan unless i make new rear glass and door tops. I'm using this as my inspiration. I did think i was going box stock but i just couldn't do it. The chassis will be stock though

Lou-Ackovski-toxicq-front-m.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I've dragged this thread up again to let you know that I have been working on my HQ Holden Kingswood and I have noticed that the plastic that DDA uses isn't regular styrene as I have tried to use Tamiya cement (both extra thin and regular) on some parts and there was no adhesion what so ever. The cement just dried on the surface between the parts and at no stage did it bond two parts together convincingly and there was no evidence of any solvent effect. So if you plan to modify one of these kits use CA glue to avoid any frustration.

Cheers,

ShawnS

1 hour ago, ShawnS said:

Hi guys,

I've dragged this thread up again to let you know that I have been working on my HQ Holden Kingswood and I have noticed that the plastic that DDA uses isn't regular styrene as I have tried to use Tamiya cement (both extra thin and regular) on some parts and there was no adhesion what so ever. The cement just dried on the surface between the parts and at no stage did it bond two parts together convincingly and there was no evidence of any solvent effect. So if you plan to modify one of these kits use CA glue to avoid any frustration.

Cheers,

ShawnS

i've found out the same and on some parts even ca isn't even working. it making customising it a bit more work