Model Cars Magazine Forum

ISO 577 Ford pro stock engine.

pontiac.maniac

26 minutes ago, pontiac.maniac said:

I'm not sure if there's a resin kit or if there's a pro stock kit that exists with this 577 cubic inch big block out there. Not yielding much luck with Google searches. If you have one let me know or any help pointing me in the right direction. Thanks 

Adam

do you have a 3d printer? if you do theres a designer on cults called mcs design or mattys custom scale that does a number of drag engines. there a few other designs too but i haven't tried their prints so cant recommend them (I'm not saying they are bad designs, just that i haven't tried them to know)

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

do you have a 3d printer? if you do theres a designer on cults called mcs design or mattys custom scale that does a number of drag engines. there a few other designs too but i haven't tried their prints so cant recommend them (I'm not saying they are bad designs, just that i haven't tried them to know)

Stitchdup,

I don't own a 3d printer and to be completely honest here, I'm not sure what cults is. I'm learning a lot each day about the hobby. I've never scratch built any parts or pieces or used aftermarket offerings. It's a whole new world to me than when I was building models as a teenager. Thanks for the info! I'll Google around and try to educate myself with the offerings thus far.

Cheers, Adam

You could also check with Texas 3D Customs ( TX3DCUSTOMS.com). They do some excellent work and have a fair selection of engines available. I have purchased four engines from them. The owner is also a member of this forum.  He is excellent to work with and their turn around is quick, I highly recommend them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zen said:

Couldn't you just us the 429 Pro stock engine from any of the Monogram pro stock kits?

I'm trying to recreate a pro stock car. I was considering the 429. My only question to it though... Trying to build it as accurately as possible. Did Jack Roush use the 429 platform and stroke it to 577 cubic inches? Been trying to research how the 577 is built. Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers, Adam 

19 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

You could also check with Texas 3D Customs ( TX3DCUSTOMS.com). They do some excellent work and have a fair selection of engines available. I have purchased four engines from them. The owner is also a member of this forum.  He is excellent to work with and their turn around is quick, I highly recommend them.

Thanks for the info and will definitely check into his work and website!

Cheers, Adam

9 hours ago, pontiac.maniac said:

Thanks for the info and will definitely check into his work and website!

Cheers, Adam

I have bought several engines and transmissions from Texas 3D Customs.  He’s very meticulous and it shows. The parts are very smooth and very detailed. 

13 hours ago, pontiac.maniac said:

I'm trying to recreate a pro stock car. I was considering the 429. My only question to it though... Trying to build it as accurately as possible. Did Jack Roush use the 429 platform and stroke it to 577 cubic inches? Been trying to research how the 577 is built. Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers, Adam 

The Revell 55 Fairlane pro mod has the most modern Ford drag engine available in a kit. If you want to try 3d printed parts there is a 600 on Shapeways, you can have it supercharged or with a tunnel ram. 

RMX-7436-3.jpg.ae2fe7863b689836e743785ae6d39129.jpg

625x465_27737310_14997098_1559012575_1_0.jpg.34c3e94e429dd5c4a078e76629df6116.jpg

On 3/16/2023 at 10:08 AM, pontiac.maniac said:

Cheers, Adam 

Are you going for a mountain motor pro stock car like back in the IHRA days? I think visually the 500 ci  (429) would be the same?

1 minute ago, Zen said:

Are you going for a mountain motor pro stock car like back in the IHRA days? I think visually the 500 ci  (429) would be the same?

Yes sir that's what I'm attempting to recreate. It's taking some research and knowledge from other people to figure out what all it's gonna take to get started. Here's what I'm after.

Screenshot_20230315-084021~2.png

Screenshot_20230316-024315~2.png

Screenshot_20230316-011709~2.png

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

No problem, I love helping folks find the parts for the things they want to build. I feel like new people are more likely to stick with the hobby if they can build what excites them.

I really appreciate your help Fat Brian. This will be a really cool build! Wanting to do it some justice. I chose it because I love pro stock and found it amazing what Ronnie Sox accomplished in the 81 season with this car. It's going to be a challenge!

Cheers,Adam

I have that exact engine sitting in a parts box.

Needs a transmission though. It is fram a Monogram kit from 1980-1984. (that's when I bought the donor kit)

I remember nothing about what kit is was or anything else.

Adam, Are you interested?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

Needs a transmission though. It is fram a Monogram kit from 1980-1984. (that's when I bought the donor kit)

Those engines were in the Thunderbird pro stock kits

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Alan, I would be interested but not sure what you would like in trade. Let me know what you come up with! Thank you 

Cheers,Adam

15 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Adam yes that is a boss 429 engine. outside they are the same no mater what cubic inch, same as with all engines.  Yiur just have to match the intake and carbs  now.  Very cool car you are making a model of BTW. 

Andy, that's what I've figured out with research. I was thinking maybe being 577 cubic inch it may be a larger engine,but,it's all internal stroking that makes the 429 a 577. I feel it's a very cool car as well! I'm drawn to the car by itself,then there's the facts of it was driven by Ronnie Sox and won the championship that season,was powered by the cat in the hat Jack Roush and owned by Dean Thompson! It's a piece of history. 

Cheers,Adam

Edited by pontiac.maniac
Spelling

4 hours ago, pontiac.maniac said:

Alan, I would be interested but not sure what you would like in trade. Let me know what you come up with! Thank you 

Cheers,Adam

PM me your addy. I'll send it to you. Be next Friday before I can mail it, however. It's not perfect, it has been painted, but it has the correct Tunnel Ram Intake.

• Thanks 1

For most of the parts needed I would start with a Monogram Tbird pro stock kit and the red Monogram Cobra kit sine they are the same scale. Would probably need to adjust the wheelbase to fit the Mustang body. Good luck .........

1 minute ago, Zen said:

For most of the parts needed I would start with a Monogram Tbird pro stock kit and the red Monogram Cobra kit sine they are the same scale. Would probably need to adjust the wheelbase to fit the Mustang body. Good luck .........

Thanks, Zenon. How much of a difference is there between 1:24 and 1:25 scale models. Say if both were Mustangs but on in 1:24 scale and one in 1:25 scale? Have been considering the Thunderbird models as well as you have mentioned.

Cheers,Adam

50 minutes ago, Zen said:

I agree. Modifying an existing chassis(tbird) would be a lot easier than trying to scratchbuild one.