Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review of Revell's new chrome spray paint

There is something that looks off to me. While the samples here all look mirror-like reflective, they all look dark. Sort of like black chrome. This  could be because the surroundings that are reflected in the "chromed" surface are dark.

Dusty, is there any chance  you could take a photo of your "chrome" sample along with on any original kit's chromed part (like a bumper)?  That would show whether the painted "chrome" is in fact darker than standard vacuum-metalized kit part.

Did the best I could hear as the spoon has been through the works since last pics. But if I had the proper blue base it would look even better like the C1 picture. From Tamiya & aoshima kit. This spoon was just Tamiya light pearl blue l, and cheap Mr hobby clear 46. With the proper metallic blue, and even better clear coat it would look like the C1 pic. 
IMG_1400.thumb.jpeg.5d982db8ef0b93e1a21a1513e1075ad8.jpegIMG_1399.thumb.jpeg.3e6f89bcf99c3b63fb6b7c481d96aea2.jpegIMG_1403.thumb.jpeg.a55e77afa938c46eee66d25ffbaf3345.jpegIMG_1402.jpeg.f9dd4214b58e1ac865a7641e95541715.jpeg

Edited by Dpate

How long does it take to dry. I sprayed a piece and was dry to touch but when I put it on I noticed my finger print had removed some of the paint. It wasn't like my finger print was in the paint, it's like my finger removed the paint. I took a piece of cloth and rubbed it and respray and it was fine. I just don't know how long I have to wait now

47 minutes ago, MrMiles said:

How long does it take to dry. I sprayed a piece and was dry to touch but when I put it on I noticed my finger print had removed some of the paint. It wasn't like my finger print was in the paint, it's like my finger removed the paint. I took a piece of cloth and rubbed it and respray and it was fine. I just don't know how long I have to wait now

The more coats of the revell the longer it’ll take to dry. Id let it dry for a good day or so just to be safe. 

HI!

Bought a can (49$ Canadian) last week at my LHS, and I tried it on a roll cage from a Tamya kit, in white plastic, with NO primer or base coat. One light coat of Revell Chrome, plus one wet coat. Fantastic results. I handled it 2 days later, and no sign of wear. 

I also tried it on a clear plastic bottle (empty Crazy Glue packing bottle), that I wanted to use as a base to raise one of my model body on contest tables. Two medium heavy coats, no base or primer,. At first it was a bit hazy while drying, that I attributed to a very humid day... but upon drying solid in direct sunlight, it flashed back to bright chrome. 

I'm very happy with the results, and it is certainly less work-intensve than Alclad on a black base. 

I would recommend it. 

CT  

• Thanks 3

23 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

HI!

Bought a can (49$ Canadian) last week at my LHS, and I tried it on a roll cage from a Tamya kit, in white plastic, with NO primer or base coat. One light coat of Revell Chrome, plus one wet coat. Fantastic results. I handled it 2 days later, and no sign of wear. 

I also tried it on a clear plastic bottle (empty Crazy Glue packing bottle), that I wanted to use as a base to raise one of my model body on contest tables. Two medium heavy coats, no base or primer,. At first it was a bit hazy while drying, that I attributed to a very humid day... but upon drying solid in direct sunlight, it flashed back to bright chrome. 

I'm very happy with the results, and it is certainly less work-intensve than Alclad on a black base. 

I would recommend it. 

CT  

Yeah it does better out the can. I had some trouble trying to air brush it on kit parts because of the over spray. I’ll probably get another can sometime. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/18/2023 at 7:38 PM, Monty said:

One of my favorite sites.  I know a lot of you were curious about this new chrome spray paint, so this should tell you everything you need to know.  

On 3/18/2023 at 7:38 PM, Monty said:

One of my favorite sites.  I know a lot of you were curious about this new chrome spray paint, so this should tell you everything you need to know.  

I bought a can from G & G Hobby here in Houston.  $37 plus tax.

WITHOUT QUESTION THE ABSOLUTE BEST CHROME ON THE MARKET.

I do a lot of aircraft and you are always looking for realistic metal finish.  This is hands down the best.  After spraying it and letting it sit for 24 hours, I've masked over it with masking tape and had no issues with lifting or peeling.  I agree it is expensive, but I've tried pretty much everything out there and this is hands down the best you can get if you want a plated metal finish.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Don’t think my first attempt got through…

I’m building a Pocher Rolls that has aluminum fenders and hood so I’m looking for the best options for paint. Based on this discussion, I’ve narrowed it to Revell Chrome and Alsa Easy Chrome, both in spray cans. Some may say this is too shiny for aluminum but I’m going all in for shine. 
Any preference for my application? 
Thanks,

Peter

It's the best option for those who don't use an airbrush.  Those who do use one have other choices: Molotow refill, Green Stuff World chrome, Alsa Chrome, and Alclad among others.

The cost can be mitigated through careful use of the spray can, including first applying another less expensive product to backsides of parts and in areas that won't be readily seen.