Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Pro Shop

Taking the Pro Shop 57 Chevy Bel air for example (yellow car on box), it has photo etched parts for the grill, trim and more, plus the parts count is a lot higher. The trunk is open and has parts to complete the inside of it. Overall higher level of detail.

11 hours ago, Shark said:

Taking the Pro Shop 57 Chevy Bel air for example (yellow car on box), it has photo etched parts for the grill, trim and more, plus the parts count is a lot higher. The trunk is open and has parts to complete the inside of it. Overall higher level of detail.

Thanks. That's one I saw on ebay. May pick one up. Looks like a nice kit. Also saw a 32 Ford.

15 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Thanks. That's one I saw on ebay. May pick one up. Looks like a nice kit. Also saw a 32 Ford.

AMT did a non Pro Shop version of the same kit with pretty much the same parts count except for the photo etch and rubber parts.
Here are the different versions of this kit as far as I know.

Standard non Pro Shop kit and first version of this new tooling kit from 1997 #8315

Boxart '57 Chevrolet Bel Air 8315 AMT/ERTL

The Pro Shop kit with rubber and photoetch parts from 1998 #8455, otherwise it's the same kit as the above

Boxart '57 Chevrolet Bel Air 8455 AMT/ERTL

Reissue of the non Pro Shop kit, it's a 2 door post sedan on the picture but it's a hard top. #8315

Reissue of the non Pro Shop kit with Coca Cola decals #H862

Boxart 1957 Chevrolet H862 AMT/ERTL

And a Pro Street version based on the same tooling from 1998 #8319

Boxart '57 Bel Air 8319 AMT/ERTL

On 3/26/2023 at 11:32 AM, Force said:

AMT did a non Pro Shop version of the same kit with pretty much the same parts count except for the photo etch and rubber parts.
Here are the different versions of this kit as far as I know.

Standard non Pro Shop kit and first version of this new tooling kit from 1997 #8315

The Pro Shop kit with rubber and photoetch parts from 1998 #8455, otherwise it's the same kit as the above

Boxart '57 Chevrolet Bel Air 8455 AMT/ERTL

Reissue of the non Pro Shop kit, it's a 2 door post sedan on the picture but it's a hard top. #8315

Reissue of the non Pro Shop kit with Coca Cola decals #H862

Boxart 1957 Chevrolet H862 AMT/ERTL

And a Pro Street version based on the same tooling from 1998 #8319

Boxart '57 Bel Air 8319 AMT/ERTL

I just visited the 1957 Chevy topic yesterday at a swap meet.

In nearly everyones opinion, that I talked to, that dark blue 57 Chevy "Street Machine" at the bottom from AMT is the best version of the 57 to get. Especially if you do not plan to build it stock. It has an updated suspension and engine. The wheels are kinda meh, but if you are going to modify it, change those out too.

I found the dark blue one on the bottom at the swap meet for $10.  I think I got a deal. :)

If you want to build a stock 57 Chevy I was told the yellow "Pro Shop" version is the one to get.

Edited by ctruss53

Pro Shop brand was originally supposed to be a premium thing, for hobby shops and mail-order only.  For example, AMT/Ertl made a 1/6 scale small-block Chevy engine kit.  A "regular" version was available to the unwashed masses, while one molded in clear plastic was offered as a Pro Shop deal.  After a while, they started blurring the lines, then it was "everything goes".

On 3/28/2023 at 1:55 PM, bluestringer said:

I've built this one. It was molded in a blue/green color.  Built it as a Pro Street.

amtamt638.jpg

AMT has 2 different 57 Chevy tools and that's the old tool 57 Chevy wich was first issued 1963 and has been reissued over and over since then, the tooling the Pro Shop 57 Chevy and the other ones I listed above was first issued in 1997  some years before Racing Champions bought the company and are totally different.