Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Guy From Michigan

Hi there, I'm Erich.  I am about to turn 50 in about 10 days.  I started building model cars around age 5 I'm guessing, so that's about 1978 or so.  I have built a few dozen kits in my time, but have not put together a model since about 1988 or 1989.  Once I got a driver's license and a real car (1972 Nova), the toy cars came to an end.  Funny thing is I have continued to buy model kits over the years, but never took them out of the box.  I have a dozen or so, new in box, never started.  I recently started thinking about building a custom model of my real life 1986 GMC Crew Cab from a "Deserter" kit my kid bought for me last Father's Day.  That is how I discovered this site (thanks Google!).  I have never attempted any custom work before, just built kits as is, out of the box.  This site looks like an excellent resource for tips and tricks.  I wish I had kept all the models I built as a kid.  I did manage to hold on to a couple (pictured below, complete with 30 years of dust).  I have also included a picture of an altered wheel base Nova and 65 El Camino that my step dad built back in the 70's.  I'd like to "restore" those if that's even possible.  If I start on any projects, I'll be sure to share.

IMG_1752.jpg.297bc81b3acc9a01194645dcb5d32516.jpgIMG_1753.jpg.4cc3288130f180adf807bdcee31099cd.jpg

5 hours ago, erichevy said:

I recently started thinking about building a custom model of my real life 1986 GMC Crew Cab from a "Deserter" kit my kid bought for me last Father's Day.  That is how I discovered this site (thanks Google!).

Welcome to the forum Erich!

There are a great bunch of very talented individuals here!  ...more than willing to share,help & teach!

In reflection of your introduction...that youngster you mentioned...bring him/her along on this new journey!!

...makes for great family bonding time! (and we all need youth interest to carry on this hobby of ours).

Welcome to the forum Erich. It’s a great place to pick up your modeller’s groove. Your stepdad’s models can definitely be restored. Lots of guys here restore old models, so lots of advice to be had. Now, rip open one of those kits and dig in. 

Welcome Erich, if you ever have a free 3rd Friday of the month, Drive into Dearborn, Michigan. We meet at the Dearborn Ice Skating Rink on Ford Road from 6pm to 8pm. We have built models on display, model car swaps at every table and a general model meeting among members. This is your free invite! Look up Downriver Model Car Club on Facebook. It's a 2-hr. drive from Marshall but it will be worth it. We have about 75 members. See you soon!

Edited by paul alflen
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Aboard Eric, from the bottom of the state. 

Do some reading in the tips section, there is some good reading material. 

The 2 models you want to restore look like good candidate's to start with. Give some thought in your direction of the models before you dunk them in the purple pond.  That is the paint stripper many use here. 

• 2 weeks later...