Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom 1948 Ford

Exotics_Builder

A bunch of things in the last couple of months have impeded progress on my builds.  I started dinking with this about 2 years back and then put it on the shelf.  The resin model is a Juha Airio design cast by Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland.  I pulled it off again late last year.  

I’ve got the body almost totally cleaned up.  Need to do some another round of primer and base white.  Chassis work in progress.  Adding disc brakes all around and Off the Sprue wheels adapted to some Revell big and little tires.  Made a couple of mods to the interior, including some door card mods for eventual wood trim (decals from the parts box).  Working on the engine as well.  Detailing is about halfway done.  The kit is prepped for a Big Block Chevy from the AMT 68 El Camino as well as suspension pieces.  I decided to keep it that way.

Color will be Testors Lacquer Inca Gold.

Cust 48 Ford (1).JPG

Cust 48 Ford (2).JPG

Cust 48 Ford (3).JPG

Cust 48 Ford (4).JPG

Cust 48 Ford (5).JPG

Cust 48 Ford (6).JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well, late on the updates.  Components coming together, slowly.  Got a booger in the hood and had to sand, primer and again paint.  The interior is just about done.  Added some Evergreen half round on the door cards and then some wood decals for extra visual effect (although hardly visible).  Also added same wood decals on the dashboard plus BMF for the vents.

Engine is wired up and finally set into the chassis.  Added dip sticks for engine and transmission oil and some other wiring bits.  Still need to run the brake and fuel line to their spots and finish that up.  Wheels are set except for air valves (I do those last).  Lots of finicky components left to sort out and install.  Also, need to do a little more whittling to get the interior to fit.  Initial test fit seemed good, but there is some gap up front that needs to be addressed.

Given where I’m at, I don’t think it will be finished for our show on May 20, but should be ready for GoodGuys Puyallup.

Cust 48 Ford (7).JPG

Cust 48 Ford (8).JPG

Cust 48 Ford (9).JPG

Cust 48 Ford (10).JPG

• Like 4

8 hours ago, slusher said:

Great looking seats!  Real nice color choices, inside and out!

All of that except for the wood trim and extra detail on the doors is from the kit.  I've had it on the shelf for years and decided to tackle it.  

3 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

That looks amazing! The color is perfect for this build. Is that embossing powder carpet? I'm jealous of the precision and the crisp lines. My carpet never seems to look that good, no matter what I use.

I use different techniques for carpeting, depending on effect I want and visibility.  In this case I used Rustoleum Textured finish paint on areas where I didn't mask off.  

I may have to try that. I have a can that I used to simulate an epoxy floor, for my garage diorama. I can always spray another color over it, to match the interior. I could tell you masked off certain areas, by how sharp and crisp the lines are.

4 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

I may have to try that. I have a can that I used to simulate an epoxy floor, for my garage diorama. I can always spray another color over it, to match the interior. I could tell you masked off certain areas, by how sharp and crisp the lines are.

I use Tamiya or Orlee masking tape.  In this case, Tamiya.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Update 11-02-2023.

Got back at this one as the clearcoat process on the 57 Crew Cab Car Hauler progresses. 

There's a scratch in the hood that requires a touch up of color coat and then clear.  I cut out the front and rear windows using thesupplied templates and acetate sheet.  They glue in from the outside, so a bit finicky.  Then I glued in the lamps (front/rear), interior tub and lower body piece.  Getting the frame ready to attach.  I will then finish off the engine compartment, do a fina polish and add the remaining finicky bits like side view mirrors.  

Wheels are 3D prints from Off the Sprue.  Detailed them out and need to air air valves (usually do as one of the last steps).  Been a fun build thus far.

Cust 48 Ford (14).JPG

Cust 48 Ford (15).JPG

Cust 48 Ford (16).JPG

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Getting close to final assembly.  Got the valve stems on the wheels and they're just waiting to be glued on.  

Most of the engine bay add-on's are done.  I ran the heater and A/C lines, fabricated a radiator, and added the hoses.  Remaining are the proportioning valve and brake lines.  This has been a "fun" experience, because the body/chassis/frame had to be assembled to finish off.  So protecting the finish is critical.  

The fuel and brake lines are done and the only item left on the chassis is add the wheels.

Final fitment steps will be cleanup, adding mirrors and wipers and final polish.

Cust 48 Ford (17).JPG

Cust 48 Ford (18).JPG

Cust 48 Ford (19).JPG

Cust 48 Ford (20).JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...