Model Cars Magazine Forum

Squarebody GMC Crew Cab Service Truck

This will be my first thread and first project.  I thought I would document and share my progress.  It will probably move slow since I have limited "spare" time. 

I started building models around age 5 or 6 I'm guessing (1978-ish).  I was always obsessed with cars so it seemed natural.  The last model I built had to be in the late 80's.  I was always the kind of builder that just built it straight out of the box... maybe paint the engine and chassis and that's about it.  I never attempted to scratch build or modify or anything like that.  This build will be a learning experience to say the least.  

This idea recently came about because I have a 1:1 '86 GMC Crew Cab and a '79 GMC Service truck.  I have had the '79 Service truck for years and use it regularly.  As a family, we often need to take 2 different vehicles when we go to our property or the local Home Depot since there is no room in the single cab for passengers.  I purchased the Crew Cab with the idea of swapping my service bed over and make room for the entire family.  It will be another year I think before I begin the 1:1 project, so I thought I'd build a scale replica of my vision....  It just might give me inspiration or spark different ideas.

This is what I have so far for the build....  The other pics are of my 1:1 project(s).

IMG_1874.jpg.d8d74321c9af14aebd45bcc0a7b03436.jpgIMG_1875.jpg.6d3aba81e95affbd6e41da0097b80abd.jpgIMG_1876.jpg.50c81ad905080a3422b30229d69ce4bf.jpg

Had to do some work on the cab corners.  They are pretty bad out of the box.  I glued the 2 cabs together finally.  I still need to work on building the front of the rear door window frames, then it'll be ready for some filler and primer.

IMG_1901.jpg.9eb8547c669507595adb0481bcb8c731.jpg

Edited by erichevy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 2:18 PM, noname said:

This is a neat project. I would be pretty tempted to weather it like the 1:1 as well.

I think I'm already pushing my limits on skill level, lol.  We shall see how it ends up.

• 3 months later...

Very slow going...  Since I'm in Michigan, indoor activities (like model building) take place during the cold months.  When it's warm here, I need to take advantage and get outdoor projects done.  Anyway....  This is as far as I got with the door frames so far.

IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

• Like 1