Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63 Impala....making the best...

customline

3 minutes ago, wallyk 50 said:

If it's not too late, you might try parts from AMT's 62 Bel Air kits.  Their were several versions a while back. That kit is a modern design with all separate chassis parts you could use the entire chassis with a little work and the firewall fits the 63 kit.  I did a quick mockup and it's almost a "bolt in".  

Thanks for your attention and comments. I do have those '62 kits and I believe it's the way to go.....if the object of my affection was the '63. 

12 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Just ideas.

The tail lights and the lack of a firewall seem to be the biggest sticking points for most people with this kit, but they’re both pretty easy to remedy with a little kit bashing.

The tail light lenses could be drilled out pretty easily, and I have to believe that between the AMT ‘62 and ‘64, and the Revell ‘62, ‘63, ‘64 and ‘65 Impalas, one of them should work for replacement lenses.

Likewise, a firewall, and/or chassis from almost any one of them would probably work as well.

I could only wish for this many parts options with most of the old annuals that I like to update.

Steve

I appreciate every word, Steve, your ideas are well received. 

If you want to add a '63 Impala to your stash, or just to build, might as well get the AMT kit and put your modeling skills to work because it doesn't seem like Revell will be reissuing its version anytime soon. Or later. Fleabay prices border on the ridiculously expensive.

Late to the party but going to throw in anyway.

The tail lights between the 63 and 64 are actually pretty different so using 64s would look way off.

DO NOT consider the AMT 64 lights even if doing a 64 unless you can get an old mold kit. The tails in the new molds are shapeless blobs that are not even the same size as each other!

The lights on this kit may be molded on but at least they are the right size and shape. Personally I would take the cowards way out and chrome them up, hit the lenses with some clear red paint and call it a day . 

32 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

The tail lights between the 63 and 64 are actually pretty different so using 64s would look way off.

DO NOT consider the AMT 64 lights even if doing a 64 unless you can get an old mold kit. The tails in the new molds are shapeless blobs that are not even the same size as each other!

The lights on this kit may be molded on but at least they are the right size and shape. Personally I would take the cowards way out and chrome them up, hit the lenses with some clear red paint and call it a day . 

Yup. I think you're right, Tony. Some of us will have the talent to pull it off. My hand painting prowess is a little above average and it's a choice I will need to make soon. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 8:32 PM, customline said:

The kit engine ain't that bad, is it? It just needs a little love 🥰.  I was able to actually drill 9 separate holes in the distributor!  It is wired with the correct firing order (I never do that.) I added an oil filler and generator brackets. Although It does not has a separate oil pan (a big plus), you can't see the block of plastic that serves as a carburetor once the air cleaner is in place. When heater and radiator hoses are finally added it will look just fine. I dunno, ladies and gentlemen, I find it acceptable 🙁. Maybe I'd change out that weird fan. Looks like some horrid disease. Why would there be rivets on the fan blades? Ace?

IMG_3977.jpg.282d509d5ea5fdbe5df9842451e6d78d.jpgIMG_3976.jpg.5bad23abb11b024f8a83859c1943677c.jpg

The kit engine ain't that bad, is it?  It is that bad. Compare it to the 1964 Impala with its 409. The valve covers are a funky shape. The last issue of the amt 63 impala was the drag set with the the Chevelle funny car which had no engineSome time in the mid seventies AMT re-engineered this kit fo maybe another Countdown kit? ERTL brought it back from the dead in the Prestige series.

1 hour ago, Bob Ellis said:

The kit engine ain't that bad, is it?  It is that bad. Compare it to the 1964 Impala with its 409. The valve covers are a funky shape. The last issue of the amt 63 impala was the drag set with the the Chevelle funny car which had no engineSome time in the mid seventies AMT re-engineered this kit fo maybe another Countdown kit? ERTL brought it back from the dead in the Prestige series.

Well, OK...the engine is not great. It won't look bad in a barn find or a beat-up truck.

8 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

If you want to add a '63 Impala to your stash, or just to build, might as well get the AMT kit and put your modeling skills to work because it doesn't seem like Revell will be reissuing its version anytime soon. Or later. Fleabay prices border on the ridiculously expensive.

It’s my opinion that the Revell kit’s body is out of whack anyway.

The AMT body looks more accurate to me.

If I felt the need to build a ‘63, I’d use the AMT body, interior from the Revell, (if possible.....I have one) and most likely the rest of the guts from the Revell ‘64.

Should make a very nice model.

Steve

6 hours ago, Tcoat said:

Yeah, those tail lights certainly wouldn’t slow me down any.

Steve

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

If I felt the need to build a ‘63, I’d use the AMT body, interior from the Revell, (if possible.....I have one) and most likely the rest of the guts from the Revell ‘64.

Should make a very nice model.

That's exactly what I would do to my AMT Impala. If I had a Revell '63 to cannibalize. :D

Edited by SfanGoch

Now I’m starting to think that I should build one of these AMT ‘63 Impalas.

Decided to pull out the boxes, and all of the discussed issues in this thread would be easily addressed with some kit bashing.

Easy operation to drill out the tail lights and replace with the lenses from the Revell ‘63.

The Revell interior is very nice compared to the AMTs, and the chassis from either the Revell ‘63 or ‘64 drops right in.

Hell, even the Revell grille fits the AMT! 😉

AE07DBB0-C5FF-4374-B417-EBA1848349E8.thumb.jpeg.715eed40decb2d5ac384342fc663f87d.jpegFF0C41AE-8F38-475C-92F3-6BF06A48A053.thumb.jpeg.8a7aa60b92d8ac568adee0dd8fd51a9a.jpegAC7786B9-1A80-4F1E-B64E-8EBA87A91C42.thumb.jpeg.0b3f175a04923bb765c5f2a74995c25d.jpegC32B8749-FEDF-4C75-86A8-CAE2CDAEFCB0.thumb.jpeg.a178c30d0240bf0d52174cb2003c4b19.jpeg

Steve

• Like 2

On 5/8/2023 at 8:32 PM, customline said:

...Maybe I'd change out that weird fan. Looks like some horrid disease. Why would there be rivets on the fan blades? Ace?

Riveted fans were pretty common back before everything went to plastic. 1" thick blades though...nah.  :D

images.jpg.334a16f408314aad3572fcdda19ac7f4.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Not the best picture of the taillights but I drilled them out and used the custom lenses (kit comes with one set for only one side so a aquired another set) ....

I wonder if anyone ever built the radical custom version. 🤔.   The rear treatment is the most bizarre idea I've ever seen.  It makes no sense at all. Who would do that?

Yours looks pretty darn good, Mike.  Red works really well on this body style.  Since I have committed to building this as a very mild street custom, I will explore the "bullet lens" angle. I think it's my best chance for success.

Edited by customline
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, customline said:

I wonder if anyone ever built the radical custom version. 🤔.   The rear treatment is the most bizarre idea I've ever seen.  It makes no sense at all. Who would do that?

Yours looks pretty darn good, Mike.  Red works really well on this body style.  Since I have committed to building this as a very mild street custom, I will explore the "bullet lens" angle. I think it's my best chance for success.

I just finished up a 3 year project of trying to make those custom parts look "decent"  Still need to take under glass photos, but here is the project log if you want to go for a wild ride.

Dragster22.jpeg.cf56641e044787cde7b56dd4c77fff06.jpeg

7 hours ago, customline said:
18 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Not the best picture of the taillights but I drilled them out and used the custom lenses (kit comes with one set for only one side so a aquired another set) ....

I was thinking exactly the same thing. But I guess back in 63, that custom rear end was probably considered futuristic.  

13 hours ago, Impalow said:

I just finished up a 3 year project of trying to make those custom parts look "decent"  Still need to take under glass photos, but here is the project log if you want to go for a wild ride.

Dragster22.jpeg.cf56641e044787cde7b56dd4c77fff06.jpeg

Now that makes sense!  they just had it on the wrong end.