Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dehydrating in my Ninja?

1 hour ago, customline said:

My Ninja Foodie has a "Dehydrate" setting.  The lowest temperature setting for dehydration is 105F. Has anyone tried this? If so, how did you set it and what were the  results?

When you purchased your Ninja Foodie, did it come with an Owner's Manual? temperature below 110 should be okay.

17 minutes ago, Bill Eh? said:

When you purchased your Ninja Foodie, did it come with an Owner's Manual? temperature below 110 should be okay.

Thanks for your reply, Bill.  OK, I guess I should have asked the question in the context of drying paint.  I should be specific. I have the instruction booklet and it tells me I can run the dehydrate function at a range of 105-195f. I know absolutely nothing about out-gassing paint with a food dehydrator and wondered if anyone has used a Foodie (which is an incredibly useful appliance) to cure paint and for how long and at what temperature.  🤷‍♂️ Seems to me it would be a good way for me to speed up the drying time of paint that is slow to dry, which I keep running into these days. 😕

Edited by customline

2 hours ago, customline said:

My Ninja Foodie has a "Dehydrate" setting.  The lowest temperature setting for dehydration is 105F. Has anyone tried this? If so, how did you set it and what were the  results?

I have a Nesco food dehydrator and have used it exclusively to dry/cure MCW lacquers for over 15 years.  I have it set at 105 degrees and leave freshly spray painted items in there for one hour.  The items are ready for whatever the next step is for my building process. 

• Like 1

I've gone 110 with my food dehydrator on some acrylic paints and enamel with no issues. I've heard of some guys going to 120 for enamel for short blasts. I've done test paint jobs on scrap plastic at 115. 105-107 is my standard though. I don't have a Foodie but an air fryer with dehydrator mode, been using that for 4-5 years or so now. Dry paint by day bake pizza by night lol !

On 5/9/2023 at 4:33 PM, yh70 said:

i would be doing beef jerky in it and let the model dry natural..😋

Or if you like paint-solvent-flavored, dry both together at the same time. :D

Edited by peteski
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, modelercarl said:

I have a Nesco food dehydrator and have used it exclusively to dry/cure MCW lacquers for over 15 years.  I have it set at 105 degrees and leave freshly spray painted items in there for one hour.  The items are ready for whatever the next step is for my building process. 

Exactly the sort of Intel I was looking for, thank you !  😊 

6 hours ago, Dave G. said:

I've gone 110 with my food dehydrator on some acrylic paints and enamel with no issues. I've heard of some guys going to 120 for enamel for short blasts. I've done test paint jobs on scrap plastic at 115. 105-107 is my standard though. I don't have a Foodie but an air fryer with dehydrator mode, been using that for 4-5 years or so now. Dry paint by day bake pizza by night lol !

Thanks, Dave, good info here!

7 hours ago, Rodent said:

Hope you have a good thermometer to make sure that 105 degrees is really 105 degrees before sticking in the styrene.

Good idea, Mr. Rodent, I will stick an oven thermometer in my Foodie. Thank you!

7 hours ago, yh70 said:

i would be doing beef jerky in it and let the model dry natural..😋

And while you're waiting for the paint to dry you open another kit and start snipping parts, shaving flash and fitting things together. Then you get the body in primer and 3 days go by and it's still not dry so you take that crappy '63 Impala kit down and ....hey, there's no firewall!.....thanks for your input, David.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kurth said:

Is it safe to use something you are also using for food to dry paint? 

That would be a concern for me also.  I have a dedicated dehydrator.  Bought it at a yard sale for a few bucks, modified it to work with my models and haven't looked back, nor did I ever have to explain to my wife why the dried apples smelled funny.

• Like 1

Personally I don't like using dehydrators.

Modern paints, excluding enamels, dry quick enough as it is. Primers dry fully in an hour or two, and lacquer paints dry in 24 hours or less depending on brand and how thick you apply them. I don't understand the need to rush this.

I let my lacquer clearcoat cure for a week. But I don't want to rush that with a dehydrator either. My thought is a clearcoat is going to gas out at the rate is will gas out and I don't think rushing that is a good thing.

So what I do so I don't need to rush the paint is I paint the body first. Primer, then color coat one day. Then I apply the clearcoat on day 2. Then while I give the clearcoat a week to cure, I build the model. Often times the clearcoat gets 2-3 weeks to cure because I am building.

Never owned a ninja foodie, but have owned their coffee makers. It’ll probably work just fine since it has that feature, but you use it for food etc? I’d def consider getting a separate one. But I bake my paint at 110f and never have had an issue, and I’ve done 120f before and never had an issue. I can cure 2K clear in bout 4 hours. One I own is called Klarstein off Amazon, and can usually be got for around $80+.