Model Cars Magazine Forum

Morgan Automotive Detail?

Anyone ordered from them lately? I've ordered in the past and know that it takes a while before they get around to shipping, but at least I'd get a response if I emailed. This last time ordered on 4/20, emailed on 5/6 to ask when they would ship, and no reply so far.  I just emailed again to cancel the order and ask for a refund. Time will tell...

Edited by Sidney Schwartz

When ordering from ANY Resin Parts maker & supplier, there's one thing that you always need to keep in mind. In 99.9 percent of the cases, the one making & supplying the parts you're seeking, works Alone! With the huge popularity of resin model parts, these guys stay Super BUSY! Remember, they could have hundreds, thousands of customers seeking their parts, beside you! Patience is the key when dealing with all of them! Another thing, they are so busy in fact, that it can easily irritate them when people contact them (especially if it's often!) asking "when are you going to ship my parts". I'm not saying Kris Morgan, or anyone else for that matter, intentionally ignores customers when asking about when their parts are going to be shipped, but if this happens, this could be why? Some suppliers do take the weekends off, as just like "normal people" they need some time off as well.

That said, ordering from "large retailers is another story as they usually keep the parts they sell in stock, and they don't actually make them.

You know what, things happen beyond a person's control. You do what you want. I stand by Kris as do most you'd ask on this board. I've gotten emails and texts weeks after they were sent. Kris frequents this board, drop him a pm here.

Edited by Classicgas

7 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

When ordering from ANY Resin Parts maker & supplier, there's one thing that you always need to keep in mind. In 99.9 percent of the cases, the one making & supplying the parts you're seeking, works Alone! With the huge popularity of resin model parts, these guys stay Super BUSY! Remember, they could have hundreds, thousands of customers seeking their parts, beside you! Patience is the key when dealing with all of them! Another thing, they are so busy in fact, that it can easily irritate them when people contact them (especially if it's often!) asking "when are you going to ship my parts". I'm not saying Kris Morgan, or anyone else for that matter, intentionally ignores customers when asking about when their parts are going to be shipped, but if this happens, this could be why? Some suppliers do take the weekends off, as just like "normal people" they need some time off as well.

That said, ordering from "large retailers is another story as they usually keep the parts they sell in stock, and they don't actually make them.

Emails that say "order received." And "order shipped." Can be automated. Many of the one man shows that I buy from have done this. I get an email that they received my order. And another email when the order ships. All automated. the one guy running the show doesn't have to do anything.

As far as I'm concerned, with all the online tools out there to help make doing business easier. There should be no reason a business can't keep customers updated.

EDIT:  I would like to add that I don't mind if it takes a small business a few days, or a week to process an order. And I don't mind if it takes weeks for the order to get to my house. But it is important to me that I receive an "order received" email very quickly, and an "order shipped" email when the order is shipped. These milestones tell me the order was in fact received, and the shipped email tells me the order is on the way and has tracking. And since these emails can be automated, they should be standard practice.

Edited by ctruss53
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kris Morgan said:

You sent an email asking about shipping on the 6th. A responce was sent on the 8th explaining we are running a bit behind and it would be 1-2 weeks before it shipped. Last night you sent an email asking for a refund. Refund has been sent.

You're right. Your email got put in my spam folder. I've gotten emails from you in the past and they went to the inbox, so it didn't occur to me to look elsewhere. My apologies for that. In any case your shipping time is way too long for me, so I'll look elsewhere. I appreciate the refund and wish you well.

In the ideal world it would be nice to have the vendor give us all sorts of updates, but it is not mandatory.  Hey, Norm from RMCoM announced that he no longer accepts credit cards.  Personal checks and money orders via snail-mail only.  Does that mean I'll stop buying his excellent castings? No!

Yes, there are ways to automate a lot of the order processing and updates, but that all takes time and money.  Some of those small manufacturers are just one guy making products in his spare time (still working a full time job, and taking care of the family).  They rather be casting products than trying to figure out how to automate updates for customers.

We are really spoiled. Remember when you had to request a catalog in the mail, rip out and fill the order form, send a check and money order, then hope the letter got there, and that they send your order (in 4-8 weeks)?  Some mail order hobby vendors accepted C.O.D.s.  Then you had to wait in your house for the UPS driver, so you could pay for your package?  We are spoiled.

EDIT: always, always  remember to check your SPAM folder. You can thank all those Spammers out there  for the overly aggressive automatic SPAM filtering.

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1

This kind of stuff really irritates me.

People get this impression that these small parts providers are Walmart and they moan and whine when their parts don’t arrive yesterday.

And then they moan some more when they don’t get immediate reactions from them when they bombard them with emails.

Personally, these would be the people that I would be shrugging off if I were offering a cottage service.

They’re the ones that are likely to be a thorn in your back side every time they order anyway, so you’re better off without their business, especially when you’re a top notch, established provider and you’ve got plenty of loyal customers and too many orders to fill anyway.

Their loss, and good riddance to ‘em.

Steve

• Like 3

In all fairness i think we can understand one man operations have lives and such and things happen out of their control,i feel that if they were to post on their websites that they're behind and orders can be 4-8 weeks or more it gives people the option whether they want to buy and wait.The frustration comes from customers when they buy items and months go by and no emails or order sent,most people feel like they're being ripped off.I just had a similiar thing  happen where i bought some decals off Ebay beginning of April,emailed the seller this weekend as they still hadn't been sent,seller tells me he doesn't even have them in stock!,they're still at the printer!.Nowhere in his listing was that even mentioned.

1 minute ago, kelson said:

In all fairness i think we can understand one man operations have lives and such and things happen out of their control,i feel that if they were to post on their websites that they're behind and orders can be 4-8 weeks or more it gives people the option whether they want to buy and wait.The frustration comes from customers when they buy items and months go by and no emails or order sent,most people feel like they're being ripped off.I just had a similiar thing  happen where i bought some decals off Ebay beginning of April,emailed the seller this weekend as they still hadn't been sent,seller tells me he doesn't even have them in stock!,they're still at the printer!.Nowhere in his listing was that even mentioned.

Sure, but dealing with someone whom the vast majority of people on this forum consider a reputable and reliable provider, and some random seller on eBay are two different things.

ebay can often be a risk because you’re not really sure who you’re dealing with, but when I order something from Kris, or Joseph @ Fireball Modelworks, or MCW, I know that I’m going to get my order sooner or later.

I’m also intelligent enough to know that these are side jobs for these guys, they’re human, have lives and problems, and will do the best that they can for me.

If that means a month or six weeks, so be it.

When I used to send parts out for plating to Chrome Tech years ago, average turn around was 6 weeks, sometimes 2 months.

In the age of instant gratification, if we just learn to relax a little and let things play out......well, as Jagger said, “you can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you’ll get what you need”.

Steve

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Sure, but dealing with someone whom the vast majority of people on this forum consider a reputable and reliable provider, and some random seller on eBay are two different things.

ebay can often be a risk because you’re not really sure who you’re dealing with, but when I order something from Kris, or Joseph @ Fireball Modelworks, or MCW, I know that I’m going to get my order sooner or later.

I’m also intelligent enough to know that these are side jobs for these guys, they’re human, have lives and problems, and will do the best that they can for me.

If that means a month or six weeks, so be it.

When I used to send parts out for plating to Chrome Tech years ago, average turn around was 6 weeks, sometimes 2 months.

In the age of instant gratification, if we just learn to relax a little and let things play out......well, as Jagger said, “you can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you’ll get what you need”.

Steve

Actually the person selling the decals is selling them as a middle man for a reputable decal seller,...and yes these are side jobs,but you are still a business and communication can go along way and keep in mind not everybody placing orders is as familiar with these companies as others.🙂

12 hours ago, kelson said:

Actually the person selling the decals is selling them as a middle man for a reputable decal seller,

Exactly.  This person does not have to make molds or cast resin (both messy and time consuming tasks).  They have much more time to provide better communications.  Plus eBay has the framework all set up to make selling and shipping easier.

Edited by peteski

Sidney, Kris is a one-man operation not an amazon or Esty store. He doesn't have automated computer responses. He is old school. I think it would be best to contact a vender ahead of time to find out how long it is to ship and to see if it is in stock. Advance planning always helps. Patience is the key! If a guy makes Quality stuff, His stuff is always in demand!

Sorry, I am just too passionate about this topic. This seriously should not be an issue at all. There are too many online ecommerce tools out there.

If these old skool guys don't want to set up automated emails to let their customers know an order has been received, or an order has shipped. They should clearly state their process on their website so their customers know.

Something like this could help.....

"NOTICE. All orders can take up to 2-3 weeks to process (or produce if they are made to order). And all orders can take a few more days to ship out. Please allow X number of weeks or months to receive your order."

A great example of this. I prefer to build high quality model kits from Tamiya, Aoshima, Fujimi, and other companies like that. And because of this I have found a few people to buy kits from that live in Singapore. They specifically state very clearly on their website that it can take 2 weeks to box up and get the models to DHL for shipping. And then they ship the slow way by boat, so they warn you that it can take months to get the order, and the tracking numbers don't work.

So while they do not send email updates, they lay it out plain as day that it will take months to receive your order.

This means that all these one man shows that we do business with can do the same thing. If they will not take some time to automate emails, they should spell it out clear as day how long orders can take.  For me I don't care how long it takes to get an order. But I don't like not knowing how long I will have to wait. That is the problem. I shouldn't have to guess about that. I gave you my money, I deserve to know how long I can expect to wait. Because that wait is part of what I am paying for.

I can name a few one man shows that do this right.

Splash Paints
Iceman 3D prints
Scale Riders

They are all one man shows. They all have their own websites. And they all have automated order status emails. I get emails when they receive my order, I get an email when they ship out my order. And I get another order when my order arrives. These emails are all sutomated. they don't do any extra work.

Edited by ctruss53
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, ctruss53 said:

Sorry, I am just too passionate about this topic.

Whatever floats your boat.

Those businesses you mentioned (that do things the way approve) - do they all do it as a side business and have regular full time job?

• Like 1

I am not expecting immediate gratification.

I am expecting a reasonable amount of information  that will help me determine who I order from.

I don't care if it take a week, a month, or even a year to get something. It doesn't matter how long it takes to receive an order. The problem is when a seller does not tell me how long it will take to get an order. The lack of information that should just be there, is the problem. It has nothing to do with immediate gratification. It has to do with doing good business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ctruss53 said:

I am not expecting immediate gratification.

I am expecting a reasonable amount of information  that will help me determine who I order from.

I don't care if it take a week, a month, or even a year to get something. It doesn't matter how long it takes to receive an order. The problem is when a seller does not tell me how long it will take to get an order. The lack of information that should just be there, is the problem. It has nothing to do with immediate gratification. It has to do with doing good business.

Well, there’s an easy remedy.

If you don’t approve of the way that someone does business, take your business elsewhere.

The tried and true concept of capitalism.

I avoid Walmart at all cost.

Nothing political.

I just don’t like the way that they do business. 

Done!

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller