Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Lincoln Continental convertible restoration

Paul Payne

I picked up this one a couple years back but have been working up the courage to restore it. Lots of fiddly places to sand and fill- especially around the windshield posts and vent windows where the mirrors, and I think spotlights, were glued. Windshield frame is broken but repairable. Glass is poor- anyone out there have a replacement or repro? White walls might be restorable but I picked out some replacements from the stash just in case. Dash, which I had to saw out of the interior bucket,  had a phone glued in, and the original builder meant it to stick! Great news is that the grille and rear bumper are in good shape needing only chrome touch up. A fellow forum member very kindly made resin copies of the rear grille which was missing.

IMG_9513.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

• Like 3

Nice to see one of these kits on the bench i have a 61 and 62 and 64 that are in the middle of rebuild. I started the project 15 years ago when i found them at a local block sale and I am glad now at the time Modelhause was on line I was able to get all the missing parts from them and all new chrome. can't wait to see yours done.

Are you restoring both? The 1/2 roof Lincoln would make a great looking custom. I always have trouble repairing those windshield frames as they seem to get very brittle cleaning up glue residue. You have some good cadidates for rebuild, they should look sharp when done. I love seeing an old kit get new life.

Ken, The 1/2 roof Lincoln is the 1961 I'm restoring to stock, but with wire wheels and different tires. Still have the 1/2 roof, but no plans to use it. The 1962 in the pic will also be restored to stock.  I I love the 1961-1963 Lincolns- really great American luxury cars with fantastic clean style.

I agree those early 60’s Lincoln’s are so elegant, you’re off to a great start. Try using a piece of wire under the windshield header just to give it some extra strength, nothing feels worse than having it break during polishing 😂

Progress! Decided to use a white paint pen to freshen the white walls after a good scrub. Broke out the chrome pens and touched up the wheels and chromed the steering wheel- now to paint the rim. Also found some knock offs in the stash. Shot primer on the chassis after removing the insert for the lower portion of the engine- this will be primed and detail painted. One rocker panel had a lakes pipe glue bombed in place- been working on smoothing this out. The area of the fenders around the wind wing widows was badly damaged by glue from attachment of mirrors and antennas (or spot lights). So- filing, sanding, flat black, filler, repeat until happy (model building is FUN!) The is still a wip- glue damage and a cramped area to try and fill and sand- plus there is a Lincoln logo there as well as other chrome trim- we shall see! Any ideas on detailing deeply recessed gauges and the chrome trim would be appreciated!

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

Edited by Paul Payne
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

Rick, I do have a 65 I am customizing, may use the glass as a donor.

Paul, I don't think there the same windshield but I'm not sure. 

You could try one from a similar year Thunderbird. The real cars were built on the same floor pans with slight differences like wheelbase.

The '65 windshield will most likely fit.

A 1961 Continental is on my most wanted list...a real one. I have a model to restore somewhere......I really need to start going through my boxes and find stuff, and get it re-organized.

I personally like the dark blue and dark green on these. What colors are you thinking?

Charlie Larkin

More progress on the restoration. Chassis has been painted. Tires are clean, white walls refurbished with white paint marker, inner wires washed with flat black, chrome touched up with chrome pen, and new knock offs from the stash. Upper axle holes used for a nice low look. Rear bumper and front grille re-chromed with pens, headlight lenses added over existing lenses after painting the existing lenses with steel. Need to buff away a little more wash to make it pop. Rear tail lights are in the process of being fabricated from various parts in the stash. The windshield frame is starting to be rebuilt- the part from the center to driver's wind wing was one piece, then broke and had to be glued together before installation. Same with the rear wind wing pillar- started as two pieces, broke into three, now back to one, soon to be installed. Will reinforce everything with small diameter brass rod and super glue. Windshield glass had to have the wind wings cut off- totally unsalvagable. Needs more polishing, and will also make new wind wings with acetate. Yankee thrift led me to use up a can of paint on the interior- ran out, so I am stripping it for a repaint. Dash was stripped and new paint applied. Now for hours of fun bmfing the interior and detailing the gauges- what I call fiddly stuff!

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2349.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

Progress! Paint! Detailed the dash, constructed door handles and window cranks from 1/8" rod, 1/16" rod, and 0.030" x 0.030" square stock, since the engraved ones would be impossible to detail, painted the interior tub with Testor's garnet pearl metallic, and painted the body with Duplicolor dark garnet red. Once the body is dry, it will be clear coated- then the crucial decision- chrome pen or bmf? Hours of fun ahead, that's for sure!

IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...