Model Cars Magazine Forum

How To Use BMF For Masking?

BMF can be a nuisance to remove, but I've never just not been able to do it. I got a bunch of these things....

Amazon.com : 100PCS Orange Sticks for Nails 4.5 Inch - Wooden Cuticle Pusher & Remover Set - Non-Toxic, Skin-Safe - Wood Tools for Manicure & Pedicure - Disposable Set Useful for Home & Salon - Won't Break Easily : Beauty & Personal Care

...and find them just perfect for pushing the foil off of whatever it's on, and without scratching the finish (assuming you don't apply too much force). As for the residue the BMF leaves behind, I spray some WD-40 on a cotton swab...softens up the residue instantly and just wipe it off with a clean cloth.

Yeah, it can be difficult to remove, especially if you bury it in heavy paint.

The lightest coats of paint possible to achieve your desired affect is best.

Other than that, you just have to carefully get under it and begin peeling it away.

As far as adhesive residue goes, that’s easily taken care of with a little WD-40 on a Q-tip.

In conclusion, BMF is a great masking medium, but it can be a little tricky to deal with, and above all else, heavy coats of paint are going to be the biggest problem with removal afterwards.

Steve

• Like 1

Never used it as a mask as I use Tamiya tape for that. But to remove the residue I use this product, and works perfect on clear parts as well to remove residue. This one bottle will last a life time lol. 

IMG_1214.jpeg

13 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Goo Gone is great for removing BMF residue 👍🏻

5 hours ago, Zippi said:

I used Meguiar's Fine Cut Cleaner or liquid wax to remove the residue.  

13 hours ago, Dpate said:

Never used it as a mask as I use Tamiya tape for that. But to remove the residue I use this product, and works perfect on clear parts as well to remove residue. This one bottle will last a life time lol. 

I think that we can all agree that removing the adhesive residue from BMF shouldn't be part of the equation.

There are a million ways to remedy that situation. ;)

Steve

4 hours ago, El Roberto said:

I'm beginning to really dislike BMF.  It won't stick where you want it to and sticks where you don't. 

You got the new improved? Did you order directly from them or from other online sites? Id order directly from them so you’d get the new stuff, because other online sources probably still have old stock. 

It's been awhile but I remember using naptha (lighter fluid) to erase small spots of adhesive. You gots to be careful you don't rub against previous paint coat. Shave off two sides of a dental applicator:

https://www.amazon.com/Regular-Disposable-Applicator-Bendable-Brushes/dp/B07S6D3BZ5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?c=ts&keywords=Dental+Applicators&qid=1685131354&s=industrial&sr=1-1-spons&ts_id=8297592011&psc=1&smid=A2OM5ZEZ9J7EWQ&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSU1KVEgxRkpSM09IJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTM1Mjg4VjFPTzlOVjA1MllJJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwMTY0MzUzSFEwMElES0tXTVlLJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

That will give you a precision applicator. As mentioned, great for chrome and aircraft canopies but Tamiya kabuki tape is now preferred. A light coat of clear gloss will prevent paint seepage.

Steve G., exquisite job on the Bonneville! I gotz to get away form the computer and back on the bench...

Cheers,

Doc