Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1937 Chevy Coupe Gasser

Zippi

Well.....I don't know what to say fellows except I shot the clear orange today with my same paint process and disaster struck.  I am so bummed out about this.  I'm not going into details but this one has been shoved to the back of the bench and covered up.  I think I'll take a break from building for a while.

Well, I like to show the good, the bad, and the ugly so here it is fellow.  I took another look at the body this morning and the dark patches seem to blend in as it's drying.  The paint on the hood does not match the body so since the kit provides and orange tinted glass and hood I thought....what the heck.  I don't think I'm going to shoot any clear over this.  I may hit it with some 12,000 grit and polish it out.  Give me some feedback fellows on whatya think of the orange tinted glass and hood.  

20230629_111156.jpg

20230629_111211.jpg

20230629_111221.jpg

20230629_085738.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your trouble, the model was coming along so well!☹️ I feel your pain, I Almost quit building about 2 years ago over an Amt '62 Catalina, I had everything detailed and painted very nicely, and boogered it up badly in final assembly...not sure if I had a bad kit fit wise, or I did something wrong, but it made me walk away for a bit.  Just give yourself some time, that is the smartest move.👍

1 hour ago, larman said:

Sorry to hear about your trouble, the model was coming along so well!☹️ I feel your pain, I Almost quit building about 2 years ago over an Amt '62 Catalina, I had everything detailed and painted very nicely, and boogered it up badly in final assembly...not sure if I had a bad kit fit wise, or I did something wrong, but it made me walk away for a bit.  Just give yourself some time, that is the smartest move.👍

👍

1 hour ago, larman said:

I just finished my previous post as you posted the new pics! In all honesty, It really doesn't look bad to me. Keep in mind race cars are usually far from perfect! 

I hear ya man.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

You know, that glass hood doesn't look bad at all. Kind of a custom look. But I gotta think another coat of paint would make the other hood match right up. That's a killer paint job. Are you going to add some pipes and or decals? It's still a really nice build.

I appreciate the feedback man.  Here's a pic of the shorty pipes and I'm looking in my stash for what decals would look good on this body.

20230623_142745.jpg.1b7968ce4b41533b5bd6ed975d7a60ae.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the paint issues. However looks great to me. I like the orange hood .

As far as the hood not matching it is always difficult to.get an even tones with candy clears when there are seperate parts like a hood. What I do is do paint the body and hood separately and then have the hood and body together for a final coat.  It just takes practice to getting a good system.

43 minutes ago, David G. said:

In spite of the troubles, it came out looking great Bob!

I really like the transparent hood.

David G.

I appreciate the feedback David.  The clear orange hood is starting to grow on me.

On 6/12/2023 at 3:04 PM, Zippi said:

Well....I wasn't satisfied with the front end height so I tore it apart and reworked it.  I'm liking it now.  

Screenshot_20230612_160036_Gallery.jpg

Yes this looks just about perfect, and is actually closer to where the bulk of these cars were built. Great start so far!

• Like 1

Not sure how I missed the second half of this post, the car looks great,  and I have been where you are with the paint and had the same reaction.  The reality is that you now have a terrific guide coat for the final prep of the body. This how I looked at it and it put into prespective how far the model has come and how close it is to being finished.  It worked for me on a   thirteen month build. Your closer than you thiink.

4 hours ago, James2 said:

I like the body it looks great from here. You could paint the hood semi-gloss black and call it a day! It's a nice build...

Thanks man.  I appreciate the feedback.

2 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Not sure how I missed the second half of this post, the car looks great,  and I have been where you are with the paint and had the same reaction.  The reality is that you now have a terrific guide coat for the final prep of the body. This how I looked at it and it put into prespective how far the model has come and how close it is to being finished.  It worked for me on a   thirteen month build. Your closer than you thiink.

I appreciate your input.  Thanks.

10 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Paint and final assembly are always the most challenging part of building. Painting candies are always difficult to get consistent coverage.

Although it's not what you wanted to use the orange tinted hood looks great. Looking forward to seeing this finished.

Thanks Bob.  I appreciate the feedback.