Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Cobra 289 FIA / USRRC wheels

Hello Guys,

Trying to gauge the level interest in a set of 3D printed Cobra wheels. If someone were to offer these, how many sets would you buy? What do you think would be a reasonable price? Specifically, the Halibrand FIA wheels featured on Cobras raced in Europe, both on the Daytona coupes and FIA roadsters. These same, six-spoke wheels were used on USRRC roadsters here in the states as well.

Why FIA wheels? Well, obviously they look fantastic, and they're a key, missing ingredient for a great FIA model. Per this blog, they're one of the 'Five Best Wheels for your Shelby Cobra'. https://www.rcnmag.com/blog/five-best-wheels-for-your-shelby-cobra

What's on the market already? Well, there's a nice set of wheels offered by Jay's Resin, but only in a scale 20" or 21" diameter. I've asked him several times if he'd consider offering them in a scale 15" instead, but no reply, apparently no interest on his part. There used to be a nice set of 15" wheels and tires cast in resin by Historic Racing Miniatures, offered through Model Builders Warehouse......but they're really hard to get. 

What if an exceptionally good vendor, like Jack Modeling offered a nice 15" printed wheel in stead?

There are distinct wheels for the front and rear with different widths, different offsets, and slightly shorter spokes on the rear due to the different drum.......that would all need to be part of the offering. In terms of model car sizing, a common diameter for 1/24th wheels is 17.5 millimeter. Wheels offered in that diameter, or just slightly bigger, say 17.8mm, would fit a multitude of commonly offered kit tires.

Price? Like, how much are we talking here? Well, you can buy brand new, 15" x 6-1/2" and 15" x 7-1/2" replica wheels in Magnesium for $2,585.00 each through Mr. Fiat on ebay.   New FIA Mags

New Aluminum versions by Trigo are only $450 each, offered in 7-1/2" and 9-1/2" widths. https://www.trigowheels.com/289_5_f_a.html

Resin printed versions in 1/24 would be significantly less. 😀

https://www.fordmuscle.com/features/car-features/driven-shelby-fia-cobra-continuation-is-a-rolling-wow-factor/

New FIA Ally.jpg

Jays Resin.jpg

HRM FIA.png

FIA Rep 1.jpg

FIA Rep 2jpg.jpg

FIA Rep 3.jpg

• Like 2

I'd buy at least two sets, but only if the knockoffs were separate parts like the HRM version.

Might be nice to have the actual OD specified too, or sell 'em with period-correct rubber.

Some 3D guys seem to want to print wheels as assembled units, hubcaps, spinners, knockoffs, etc...all as one piece. Makes it the devil's own level of difficulty trying to finish them realistically.

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'd buy at least two sets, but only if the knockoffs were separate parts like the HRM version.

Might be nice to have the actual OD specified too, or sell 'em with period-correct rubber.

Some 3D guys seem to want to print wheels as assembled units, hubcaps, spinners, knockoffs, etc...all as one piece. Makes it the devil's own level of difficulty trying to finish them realistically.

Hey Bill, thanks for the feedback. Yes, separate knockoffs and the diameter would be specified.

On 6/1/2023 at 5:44 AM, Hoffman said:

What's on the market already? Well, there's a nice set of wheels offered by Jay's Resin, but only in a scale 20" or 21" diameter. I've asked him several times if he'd consider offering them in a scale 15" instead, but no reply, apparently no interest on his part.

Jays Resin.jpg

Jay's offers a few set of wheels that I really like but only in the 20/21 set up. Not all of us want wheels/tires bigger than 15" or even an aftermarket 17" size...as for this topic, it'd be great to see these available in 15".

• Like 1

Over 300 views since Thursday morning, definitely a good level of interest. 😄

I'm happy to report that the prototypes are well under way and looking fantastic!! Jack Modeling does phenomenal work, and quick. Both front and rear wheels engineered to match full size Cobras. You'll be pleased to hear these will have a separate hoop and disk, and separate knockoffs to greatly aid in finishing to your liking. Sneak peak photos attached. More updates to follow in the weeks ahead.

FIA Jack Modeling 4.jpg

FIA Jack Modeling 5.jpg

FIA Jack Modeling 6.jpg

FIA Jack Modeling 7.jpg

FIA Jack Modeling 12.jpg

FIA Jack Modeling 11.jpg

• Like 4

Hello everyone,

I'm the person who's creating the cobra rims, so I'm posting a message here to give you an update on the project's progress.

I'd also like to thank you for your feedback on the first photos Tim posted earlier.

The 3d model of the rims is finished for me, I made some very slight modifications to correct a few things. But nothing very significant.

The rims will initially be available in 15" for 1/24 and 1/18. I don't know if it's necessary to offer them in other sizes. If so, please let me know.

I have one last question, could someone confirm the dimensions of the front/rear rims if you have the 1/24 or 1/18 model. I've based myself on dimensions found on the internet but I'd like to know if they fit the reduced medel. Thank you in advance for your help.

Of course on I look forward to your feedback, advice for this model.

Thank you for your help!

IMG_20230607_164247.jpg

IMG_20230607_163906.jpg

IMG_20230607_164013_2.jpg

IMG_20230607_164031.jpg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Jack Modelling said:

Of course contact me. I'm always looking for good ideas. 🙂

Jason the Halibrands look great, I'll be ordering a set.  I sent you an email about a Porsche wheel project - please let me know what you think.

thanks,

JC

5 minutes ago, afx said:

Jason the Halibrands look great, I'll be ordering a set.  I sent you an email about a Porsche wheel project - please let me know what you think.

thanks,

JC

I saw your message above, I'd probably be able to help you. Making wheels is my favorite thing to do!

I didn't get your e-mail, did you send it to:  contact.jackmodelling@gmail.com ?

13 hours ago, Jack Modelling said:

I saw your message above, I'd probably be able to help you. Making wheels is my favorite thing to do!

I didn't get your e-mail, did you send it to:  contact.jackmodelling@gmail.com ?

I just resent the email.  I think wheels make the car.  I won't start a project until I find the right wheel/tire combination.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2023 at 11:05 AM, Jack Modelling said:

Hey Peter! Glad to see you here!

Of course contact me. I'm always looking for good ideas. 🙂

Hello Jason,

it's great that you joined the forum - now it is easier to contact you directly - I introduced your Jaguar E-type spoke wheels here and have ordered also the Cromodora and Porsche 356 wheels from you.

What do you think of Borrani wires (especially for Italeri 250 GTO - these have the same widthfront and rear which is totally wrong) that have been proposed to you by Pierre (Rivard) ? These would be very welcome indeed! Keep up the good work!

How wide? Jason, I think your idea of 7.2 and 9.5 is right on the money. Please see attached photos. I took two of your early prototype front wheels and popped them in some rubber Michelin tires. They'll look even better with your new two-piece design with wider, deeper rear wheels. The bigger rear tires are from a Revell Ferrari 365 Boxer kit. The smaller fronts are from the new Revell Jaguar XKE. They're posed in comparison to FIA wheels and tires from Historic Racing Miniatures.

20230613_192503.jpg

20230613_192518.jpg

20230613_192548.jpg

On 6/11/2023 at 12:28 AM, 1959scudetto said:

Hello Jason,

it's great that you joined the forum - now it is easier to contact you directly - I introduced your Jaguar E-type spoke wheels here and have ordered also the Cromodora and Porsche 356 wheels from you.

What do you think of Borrani wires (especially for Italeri 250 GTO - these have the same widthfront and rear which is totally wrong) that have been proposed to you by Pierre (Rivard) ? These would be very welcome indeed! Keep up the good work!

Hi Hellmut,

Someone had asked for these wheels some time ago, I had completely forgotten...

I should be able to take care of it, could you send me more info on the dimmention and some pictures? 

Maybe I should create a topic on the forum, specifically for requests, I don't know if I'm allowed to do that. 

You can also contact me by e-mail: contact.jackmodelling@gmail.com