Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mazda RX-7s The Aussie way.

Hello everyone,

These are my final finished builds for this year. These first 3 are ones that raced in 1983-84 under our Group C touring car rules. Between 1960 and 1992 Australian touring car racing had always been based on production style cars, Group C started in 1973 and finished at the end of 1984. There were many different rules for Croup C but the main overview was that the cars still had to retain most production car visual and mechanical similarities. Non production wings and flares were introduced in 1980 and made the cars look meaner and allowed bigger wheels and tyres. Another aspect was that the cars had to retain a full interior with two front seats, a rear seat, factory door cards and full carpeting, although by 1984 rear seats and carpeting seemed to disappear on most RX-7s.

Hasegawa's '79 IMSA GTU kit was a good place to start but it's the early version of the SA-22 RX-7 and as most Group C RX-7s were the later version I had to combine the GTU kit with the late version of the road car. The differences are the tail lights and the bumpers. Another big difference is the front air dam. The GTU air dam is too big compared to the Group C so I made my own by combining the late version front bumper and the air dam from the Monogram RX-7 and some evergreen. You can see just how deep the kits GTU airdam is compared to my modified version (the one in primer).

p2Co1Z.jpg
EZIkxp.jpg

This first one is the 1983 Australian Touring Car Championship Winner of Allan Moffat. The wheels are my own 3D designs and prints and the decals are from LB Productions. The decals are great to work with and respond beautifully to setting solutions.
I rebuilt the kit roll cage, detailed the dash and added some minor detail under the hatch. I also designed and printed out a new muffler.

llR9VI.jpg
AWcQKn.jpg
RzNtwS.jpg
L5Z7sF.jpg
XQrby6.jpg
CKG97D.jpg

This one is the ghostbusters car from Bathurst 1984 driven by Graham Moore and Peter McKay. They started 30th and recorded a DNF after 116 laps. The wheels are my own 3D designs and prints and the decals are from LB Productions. I rebuilt the kit roll cage, detailed the dash and added some minor detail under the hatch. I also designed and printed out the exterior mirror and a new muffler. The decal sheet has some minor inaccuracies but I was still happy to use it.

h3pWex.jpg
VChu9I.jpg
XPakfH.jpg
lxD8X4.jpg
nMifjK.jpg
N4ETWE.jpg
l3BWp3.jpg

This one is the Yellow Pages car of Tony Kavich and Phil Alexander also from Bathurst 1984 they started 43rd and also DNF'd. The wheels are my own 3D designs and prints, I rebuilt the kit roll cage, detailed the dash and added some minor detail under the hatch. I also designed and printed out the mirror and a new muffler. The decals were printed by Custom Hobby Decals from my artwork. This is one of my favourite liveries of Aus touring car racing so I just had to do it.

0QTTKR.jpg
cTOjZ5.jpg
HTiRfP.jpg
j8ycaj.jpg
oDg0pp.jpg
fX4DnR.jpg

and finally this one isn't a Group C but a Group A from our first full Group A Bathurst race in 1985. Driven by John Bundy and Norm Carr. They qualified 50th after battling a stubborn car that just didn't want to go and DNF'd after blowing the diff.
This build was done using left over parts from the other 3 builds. It has a scratch built roll cage, 3D printed wheels, tyres, exterior mirrors and muffler. The decals are also from Custom Hobby Decals from my artwork.
CazqZG.jpg
gl9iHR.jpg
50dQvZ.jpg
cCU4ch.jpg
soHm64.jpg
neySnh.jpg

The build time for these 4 was around 12 months on/off, I absolutely enjoyed the Hasegawa kits and I can recommend them to anybody.

Cheers
ShawnS

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...