Model Cars Magazine Forum

National Lampoon's "Vacation" Wagon Queen Family Truckster

spencer1984

I've been wanting to add this to my TV/movie car collection for years, and thanks to Robert Burns at Too Many Projects I didn't have to radically modify a body to get it (just everything else, but more on that in a moment). Available in standard white and high resolution brown, his body comes with the main shell, bumpers, nose, roof rack, wheels, hood ornament, window blanks, and lights. The quality is good, with nice sharp edges and minimal striation (an inevitable result of the 3D printing process). Fit is generally good, though like a Moebius kit paint can throw off some tolerences. The only actual problems I ran into were the lights: the front marker lights were a tad too big for their openings, and the taillights were too short to completely cover the reverse light sockets. Both were easily fixable with some custom work.

Speaking of which, everything else. The chassis and engine were modified from Polar Lights' old 1960s Comic Book Batmobile kit, which had the exact "similar to, legally distict from" vibe that I wanted. Wheelbase was shortened, floor was narrowed, and suspension was reconfigured to fit the wagon body. The interior panels are all made from styrene, with modified seats from Harts Parts Resin and a reconfigured dashboard from Revell's Cadillac Lowrider kit.

Paint was TS-52 Candy Lime Green with my own custom decals for the wood panels and license plates. A full writeup of everything that went into it is available here, and as always any comments/criticisms are welcome!

truckster-01.jpg.8a72396bc97342d33e2f6ad541758312.jpg

truckster-02.jpg.edfbd9fe37eb3d17664881b6ffb3fd9b.jpg

truckster-03.jpg.ca4575505c27257c81381fe11272f401.jpg

In the movie, it wore the "Lou Glutz Motors" ad plates all the way from Illinois to California. That didn't sit right with me, so I went for the early movie version while it was still on the lot, before it collected the graffiti, damage, and detritus of the Griswold's trip.

truckster-04.jpg.7d33623e3422baf857f334ca3a211d30.jpg

truckster-05.jpg.5c326e24da57f9b5f1524ac3084bf5bf.jpg

truckster-06.jpg.d5ef8d8032d83a8dce5c027a52bc0fc5.jpg

As far as I know, the interior was a stock LTD wagon. I wanted to try to make "Wagon Queen" its own marque, so the details were inspired by several big American cars of the era but I tried to not copy anything 100%. The donut spare was made from a scrap wheel and the smallest tire in my parts box, mounted to be in the most inconvenient place I could think of.

truckster-07.jpg.436ff9361d4c60f87326422bca26d327.jpg

truckster-08.jpg.b0423c69faaa941c63ed8526a0f87b91.jpg

truckster-09.jpg.e6a795598b9ff6f364038c161b668331.jpg

truckster-10.jpg.7fc2aca5e0518b1e6a3d87f8af0ef795.jpg

truckster-11.jpg.9a48010c667042a2c2d209edfca5f5a6.jpg

One of the more ridiculous details from the movie was the fuel flap as part of the hood, à la DeLorean, but without the mid/rear engine. So I used the frame notches from half of the Batmobile's dual exhaust system to run a fuel fill line from the engine bay to the tank under the rear floor. The engine was painted lilac with gold heads to represent Wagon Queen's mainline engine I've dubbed the "Princess Power V8." No A/C, since that would have been reasonable for a car travelling through Arizona during the summer, but everything else is wired and plumbed.

truckster-12.jpg.2405dc060eb17edac6e195f59bf28c60.jpg

Finally, a shot of the Truckster with its new friend (played here by Magnum's Ferrari).

• Like 18

That color looks a little bright for Metallic Pea, but I guess it'll do. And everybody knows the "Princess Power" V8 was lavender, not lilac.

😁

(Seriously though, absolutely awesome build of an all-time classic movie car. I love it!)

Edited by jaymcminn
  • Haha 1

Thanks, guys! It was indeed a lot of work, but since it was all the fiddly stuff I enjoy doing it wasn't near as bad as it would have been to be doing body work!

12 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

VERY WELL DONE!!!! I love movie cars of all kinds and this one is top of my list! You really caught the look perfect. I'd love to get your Truckster and my Christmas Vacation wagon together!!!! 

VACATION.JPG

Excellent, I love it! That would be awesome.

Love it! You have really done a fantastic job on this. I'm very impressed that you went to the trouble to make this project 'full detail'. Cool the way you individualised various bits. Overall an awesome build. One of the coolest models I've seen yet.