Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 308GTB restomod

dino246gt

Found this 308GTB kit in my stash and I don't remember ever buying it!

But I'm a Ferrari lover, so I thought I'd chop it up and see what happens!

I also bought this Revell Enzo parts kit, so I have a few ideas!

1-IMG_8594.jpg

2-IMG_8705.jpg

Edited by dino246gt
  • Like 1

Revell Ferrari kits are good but the way the brakes, (and they are low-detail brakes), mount between the wheel halves is not to my liking.

I'll cut the centers out of the wheel backs and remove most of the brakes,(I need the centers to fit the Revell kit suspension), then de-chrome the wheel fronts.

After Tamiya fine white primer and Alclad Aluminum, some "e-Jan" wheel center caps and drilling for valve stems, the wheels look better, to me.

IMG_8654.jpg

IMG_8658.jpg

IMG_8660.jpg

IMG_8667.jpg

• Like 2

Of course the Enzo is way wider than a 308, so I had to narrow things, but still maintained the poseable steering!

Then I had to fill in all the spaces with styrene scraps.

And here's where it is now! I will be making new belly pans, eventually, cheers!

24-IMG_8681.jpg

25-IMG_8682.JPG

26-IMG_8709.jpg

• Like 1

Dennis, I'm loving where you're going with this! Lots of talent and creativity showing through. Now just drop in a Chrysler hemi engine with a blower popping out of the top, and you'll be picture perfect! :) (just kidding BTW)

• Like 1

I got these tires, and I had these large resin brakes, but I needed to adapt them to my kit bashed spindles, so some old MRC bits came to the rescue.

I modified stir sticks to hold the calipers for airbrushing.

I have these photo-etched rotor faces left over from my Aston Martin build but the centers need to be opened up, and that was difficult, took about an hour each!

I use these metal valve stems, they're cheap and I bought 10 sets so shipping was also reasonable.

I'll have to make some parking brakes for the rears, nothing fancy, just something, LOL.

I'll glue the brakes to the rims because I have to figure out where to mount the new transaxle (Tamiya 360 Modena) and how to mount it!

Ciao for now.

27-IMG_8650.jpg

28-IMG_8713.jpg

29-IMG_8712.jpg

30-IMG_8714.jpg

31-IMG_8724.jpg

32-IMG_8726.jpg

33-IMG_8729.jpg

34-IMG_8730.JPG

Edited by dino246gt
  • Like 5

Very interesting project. There have been quite few 308/328 restomods in 1/1 lately. Few of them were featured in Forza Magazine. I believe someone stuffed an F40 motor sideways in one and there was one with a 360 Modena V8 in it. 

I can't wait to see what you make of it, as I believe you're off to a very good start. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrm said:

Very interesting project. There have been quite few 308/328 restomods in 1/1 lately. Few of them were featured in Forza Magazine. I believe someone stuffed an F40 motor sideways in one and there was one with a 360 Modena V8 in it. 

I can't wait to see what you make of it, as I believe you're off to a very good start. 

I know there's one with a Honda 4 cylinder engine that really rocks!

I'm keeping my real one factory correct though, I've had it for 16 years.

IMG_5101.JPG

• Like 10

The kit has the rear window sitting on the interior package shelf, but behind the glass should be part of the body.

So I cut away part of that interior tub and made a styrene replacement to be attached to the body.

Then I made some little headliner ends in the rear butresses, as the kit was just empty.

I removed the molded on emblems as I have these dry transfers to use instead, Ciao!

35-IMG_8611.jpg

36-IMG_8634.JPG

37-IMG_8636.JPG

38-IMG_8596.JPG

39-IMG_8637.jpg

40-IMG_8673.JPG

I ground the inside of the front wheel lips to get the plastic as thin as possible to get the front wheels to sit like this.

I started to build the Tamiya 360 engine by airbrushing Alclad Aluminum and drilled for coil pack wires.

TIP:

Whenever possible, drill all the way through, then you can thread ONE wire through from behind to look like TWO wires.

They won't come loose when you pull on them AND....... no glue showing from the top.

41-IMG_8747.JPG

42-IMG_8748.jpg

43-IMG_8716.JPG

44-IMG_8717.JPG

45-IMG_8721.JPG

Edited by dino246gt
  • Like 3

Remember when I said I have to finish the wheel/tire/brake combo before I can do anything with the engine/rear suspension/sub-frame?

So I placed the rear wheel/tire/brakes in the body and cut a temporary axle the right width so I can start figuring out what to do next!

I drilled through the transaxle and test fitted.

I found that I needed more room at the rear.

For the front of the engine, I also needed more room, and 308s access the engine from the passenger side rear wheel opening, but the 360 needs access behind the seats.

I removed the required amount of plastic for that access panel.

So now I have the engine where I want it but it's just floating in mid-air!

Stay tuned for some sub-frame fabrication!

46-IMG_8758.jpg

47-IMG_8757.jpg

48-IMG_8766.jpg

49-IMG_8761.jpg

50-IMG_8605.jpg

51-IMG_8763.jpg

52-IMG_8765.jpg

• Like 6