Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Porsche 911 Carrera

bluestringer

Ok, a little something different for me. Looks like a really nice kit, although there will be a lot of detail painting. Probably some colors I don't have. Have not decided on body and interior colors but I like the box art colors, may just go with those.

_IGP1447.jpg

• Like 4

I have the Targa sister kit so I'll be following. 

One thing, if it's like the Targa, watch those wheels and tires. The rears are slightly bigger then the fronts. I found this out the hard way when I noticed my kit has 3 of one and only one of the other. 🙄

• Like 1

James, this website may be of some help. At least it's interesting. 

If you put in the year and model it will show you all the colors thay came in that year. You can also narrow it down more if you like.

After you do that you can klik on the color and it will show pics of Porsches in that color. I have ran across a couple colors they don't have pics for but very few.

https://www.rennbow.org/colorwiki

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Thanks all. I've got the engine almost ready. It goes together nicely. Still have not made up my mind on what color I'm going with.

_IGP1456.JPG

IMGP9316.JPG

For Carrera 3.2, I can vouch for Garnet Red Metallic or Cassis Red Metallic. Both are stunning colours.

23 hours ago, Can-Con said:

James, this website may be of some help. At least it's interesting. 

If you put in the year and model it will show you all the colors thay came in that year. You can also narrow it down more if you like.

After you do that you can klik on the color and it will show pics of Porsches in that color. I have ran across a couple colors they don't have pics for but very few.

https://www.rennbow.org/colorwiki

Thanks, lots of nice colors there.

2 hours ago, Tyas said:

For Carrera 3.2, I can vouch for Garnet Red Metallic or Cassis Red Metallic. Both are stunning colours.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

I'm not sure about which color you should use but I can sure as heck tell ya ONE thing....that's a great start on that engine. Great detail and paint work on that.

Thanks Joe.

I've looked at the colors in the link above and looked at some photos online. Seeing lots of red, white and yellow. But I saw a couple of light green ones that caught my eye. I have a bottle of Tamiya x-15 light green, I'm going with it. The interior will be either black or some type of brown.

IMGP9318.JPG

• Like 4

I made the mistake of wiring and installing the distributor before installing the engine in it's cradle. It's a really tight fit. If I had read on further in the instructions it shows the distributor being installed after the engine is in the cradle. I got it there but not after tearing off a few of my wires. If you build this kit and are planning to install plug wires, best to do it after the engine is in the cradle.

IMGP4285.jpg

IMGP4288.jpg

IMGP4289.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/26/2023 at 1:19 PM, bluestringer said:

I made the mistake of wiring and installing the distributor before installing the engine in it's cradle. It's a really tight fit. If I had read on further in the instructions it shows the distributor being installed after the engine is in the cradle. I got it there but not after tearing off a few of my wires. If you build this kit and are planning to install plug wires, best to do it after the engine is in the cradle.

IMGP4285.jpg

IMGP4288.jpg

IMGP4289.jpg

Wish I'd caught this thread earlier, I could have warned you about the distributor clearance issue. It's super tight in there. Beautiful job on this build, the color is great!

On 7/24/2023 at 6:04 PM, bluestringer said:

I've looked at the colors in the link above and looked at some photos online. Seeing lots of red, white and yellow. But I saw a couple of light green ones that caught my eye. I have a bottle of Tamiya x-15 light green, I'm going with it. The interior will be either black or some type of brown.

IMGP9318.JPG

This is what I call telepathy. I have chosen the same colour for my targa. 

But....

I gave up using Tamiya acrylic paint for the exterior finish as they cannot be polished properly. Therefore I picked up a close green tone by testor.