Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Cobra Daytona

Thanks for checking in guys.  Hopefully I'll be able to do this kit justice.

I spent some time getting the main pieces aligned and the holes drilled for the screws that hold them together.

20230727_120322.jpg

20230727_120327.jpg

20230727_120333.jpg

20230727_120410.jpg

20230727_120729.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I got some time to paint the interior body panels. Then I mocked them up. It still looks like everything will go together without problems.

2v2eP7532xHpLjS.jpg
2v2eP75v3xHpLjS.jpg
2v2eP75UNxHpLjS.jpg

I also got the wheels and tires finished. Why is it I have an over-riding desire to finish them at the start of a build?

2v2eP759rxHpLjS.jpg

Carbs are almost done. Each one shown here has 21 parts to it.

2v2eP75ujxHpLjS.jpg
2v2eP75J8xHpLjS.jpg
2v2eP75EMxHpLjS.jpg

A start on the side pipes.

2v2ePYH1gxHpLjS.jpg

I saved this till last. I have found that the amount of light and the temperature of it has a lot to do with the appearance of color. A lot of people obsess about matching the color of their model using reference pictures without taking into account the lighting in said picture. The next two pictures are of the EXACT same spoon. The first was taken outdoors on a sunny day, but on the shady side of my house. The second was taken indoors but only using the light coming in from outside. The spoon was first painted with Tamiya grey primer, then sprayed with TS-19 Metallic Blue. This will be my choice for the body color.

2v2ePYHpWxHpLjS.jpg
2v2ePYHcGxHpLjS.jpg

Edited by 2whl
  • Like 3

On 8/11/2023 at 11:08 AM, lucky 130 said:

Looks Great, I thought the 289 used in the Daytona's were black not corp. blue. I could be wrong.

They probably were black. But I wanted some contrast since almost the whole chassis is black.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Beautiful work Paul. The engine/trans could be displayed by itself. It is spectacular.

Very inspiring watching this build. I hope someday I can find the right kit to do a 1/24 version of this historic racer.

Thanks Pierre

HRM did a kit

2621.jpg

2 hours ago, David G. said:

This kit looks like a marvelous grand adventure of a build.

You have a fabulous start on it, everything looks great so far.

David G.

Thank you David.  It's pushing my skills that's for sure

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 7:34 AM, Bainford said:

Things are looking good.

I notice the bell housing has the word COBRA cast into it. Did the 1:1 have this?

I don't know if there was a Cobra cast into the bellhousing.  But it doesn't matter because it will be buried under bodywork and no one will see it.

After I decaled the gauges, I tried the glue I used on the rear window to make the lenses.  The time difference between the first and third pictures is only about an hour.  Then the dash was assembled.

20230905_125939.jpg

20230905_125946.jpg

20230905_134822.jpg

20230905_173433.jpg

• Like 1