Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alfa Romeo 8C 1933 Le Mans winner

11 hours ago, absmiami said:

Betting you’ve heard of

the Don Lee Special   …

C8C651FE-E011-49C9-91D7-5466CD6B4987.jpeg

This is formidable Andy. So if I get this right, same car that won Italy in 32 but as it was when it ran at Indy in 46 &47.

Now the big question, will you do it as it would have been prepared for the race or current state as presented at Amelia Island i.e. full patina treatment.

I vote for full patina. Start date for my build is scheduled October 1, hope we can build in parallel.

When you are interested in vintage cars, colors are always a problem when the car is gone.

The drawings offer a valuable aid if they are from the period and drawn from sight by the artist.

Another source of information is the print media of the time when journalists describe the car. But this is of course a long and tedious search.

If you're going by the black and white photo at the beginning of this thread, it seems to me if the red parts are truly red and I'm sure they are it must be a very dark red. The monotone shade of the wheels seem to be an exact match to the fenders.  Usually, a red in a black and white photo turns out to look like a dark gray just like a blue would. Just saying . But what do I know?  Too bad they don't have color YouTube videos of those races which I know is impossible but that's usually the only true source in trying to decipher color of a race car from the 50's or 60's. But those are even very hard to find.

3 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

This is formidable Andy. So if I get this right, same car that won Italy in 32 but as it was when it ran at Indy in 46 &47.

Now the big question, will you do it as it would have been prepared for the race or current state as presented at Amelia Island i.e. full patina treatment.

this is a unique pre-war Alfa - the proud owners are English - it has been maintained mechanically but not not not restored - some changes fr the factory cars but not that many - stay tuned …

Hi Pierre, only just started looking at this thread, I'm sure you will do it justice.

I'm sure you have mentioned it somewhere but what car have you decided on building, sorry, shouldn't be lazy but it's easier to ask!!

Dave B

Whoops, sorry

Edited by Dave B

• 2 weeks later...

So time to actually start this build. This is my first "date" with resin so no doubt I will learn a lot along the way. Any input from other builders will be more than welcome. I'll try stuff, make mistakes, you'll point me in the right direction and hopefully we'll have a few laughs along the way. Welcome to "Resin for dummies"

First task is to get the major body pieces cleaned up and fitted. I got the 3 pieces to finally talk to each other, but some fitting will be required.

First discovery is that the bonnet top is shorter left vs right at the front edge and some bending will be required. I have to figure out how to gently bend (some heat?) without breaking the part. Looks more brittle than the styrene I'm used to.

I don't know what I'm doing...this is gonna be so much fun!

Alfa wip1.jpg

Alfa wip2.jpg

Alfa wip3.jpg

Edited by Pierre Rivard

I'll definitely be watching this one, Pierre. The one resin I did came out terribly. There are so many builds that the only way to do them is to use a resin kit. The 58 Ford comes to mind. I always wanted to do Curtis Turner's but that's a lot to invest in a body if It's going to come out like the last one, I did.  I'm sure this build is going to be Awesome.

Thanks fellows. Just finished today's session and I now have body/hood/chassis relationship reasonably defined. It does not seem like much but just these 3 parts needed quite a lot of work...and more is needed but I'm getting used to this new stuff. I don't know how this resin kit rates compared to others but it appears quite a lot of work will be needed to make all the parts fit and look correct.

Reassuring that Fernando thinks I only need this one page instruction sheet to figure this out. 🤣

Alfa wip4.jpg

Alfa wip5.jpg

Going through my sequence process I'm thinking I need to get the chassis mock up done so that I can then figure out how to position the fenders (no defined method or attachment points)

Instructions show the chassis pan includes complete frame rails molded in but the front pieces actually have to be added. Thought I would need to fabricate these extensions but found them in a bag of small parts. Makes things easier. Got these cleaned up and epoxy glued the front chassis components.

Finally got to a decent dry fitted body and get a mockup done with the wheels on. I now have my foundation to figure out how and where to get fenders installed

Alfa wip 6.jpg

Alfa wip 7.jpg

Alfa wip 8.jpg

Alfa wip 9.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, afx said:

Mockup looks good. 

Thanks JC. I like to assemble as much of the vehicle in a dry mockup as much as possible before "commiting with glue"

Particularly when dealing with an unknown kit and more so with this resin stuff that is all new to me. I've already started changing a few things.

23 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Wow, Pierre. It's coming together perfectly. So, I guess you're using epoxy to hold this creation together. Do you mix it in small batches or how exactly does it work. What do you mix it in?

Yes, 5 minutes 2 part epoxy from Bob Smith Industries. I'm fortunate to have an amazing hobby shop in my area and they always provide good advice. The resin and hardener both come in 4.5 oz dispenser bottles and I can easily mix mini matches (as small as one drop from each)

Next step is the positioning of the fenders. Fernando has them built with metal wires acting as brackets (nice, delicate, realistic) but positioning on the body side requires the builder to determine the location and drill holes, then making multiple adjustments. Not overly complicated but a third hand would be very handy.

Take note that the as designed track width is on the narrow side. I'll do the fender placement and then determine how to adjust the track.

Alfa wip10.jpg

Alfa wip11.jpg

The fronts went in pretty easily. They attach to the chassis on four points. They then to sag a bit but will come up when I add the cross bar ahead of the radiator.

The inner fender profile curves into the tire too much. A trait seen on all four fenders relative to my ref pictures. I will need to grind that excess material

Alfa wip12.jpg

Alfa wip13.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, Pierre. This build just gets more and more astonishing as to how awesome the final result is going to be. I have to commend the kit creator for making such a well-engineered kit as far as the quality of the castings that he accomplished. Of course, I'm sure your skills are making the fit come together better than most of us modelers could do.