Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shirley Shahan’s Hornet Pro Stock

dragcarz

Almost 3 years, 2 kits, A started Johan Hornet Funny Car kit and the Johan  69 Rambler S/C kit, 2 Sets of Slixx decals, repainted 4 times, lots of scratch built parts! 
 I think it turned out well for all I had to go through. Comments, questions, criticism all accepted. ASI. Posting this I just realized I missed chrome on the door handles, but I’m headed out of town and wanted to get this posted. 638F7BDD-8914-4F50-A425-D04493F87A0D.thumb.jpeg.432c6c266de235b75dc2f53801bce152.jpeg

6E7C9B36-FFE1-4300-8217-D72FA07E0A51.jpeg

67137FA4-241B-4F6A-B6FF-400F9428277A.jpeg

B1E87BAB-8D50-434C-B076-DBC56C80AD88.jpeg

26F7799B-8E05-4A54-BB09-4760349F8ED8.jpeg

DCB023C6-C260-441C-B292-97B898B2620B.jpeg

90C3C698-C7FE-4B64-ADDE-0CA864C83BB7.jpeg

61030944-B151-4B43-A898-B5212CC30A57.jpeg

• Like 11

I gotta tell you guys....the pics do not do this model justice.  Roger brought the Hornet over the other day to show me and it is one fine looking built model.  Very well detailed and the paint job is Bodacious.  Roger is a Master Modeler with years of experience and it shows in all his builds.  Just a Great looking build Roger.  Nicely done.         

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

Well, your finished model looks great so all your hard work was worth it. Don't think I've seen this kit completed before. Thanks for sharing.

You know Tony, now that you mention it, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen this kit built either. Of course I didn’t build it as the funny car. Thank you for the compliment!

12 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I gotta tell you guys....the pics do not do this model justice.  Roger brought the Hornet over the other day to show me and it is one fine looking built model.  Very well detailed and the paint job is Bodacious.  Roger is a Master Modeler with years of experience and it shows in all his builds.  Just a Great looking build Roger.  Nicely done.         

Thank you Bob, you are too kind! I just a plastic hack!

Your hornet came out awesome. Great level of detail especially on the carburetors , altenater, wheels, and that’s a really smooth white paint job. I wish these hornet bodies weren’t so hard to find. I would like to park one next to my shaman gremlin

I took a quick perusal of your WIP.  Easy to see the passion and persistence of this build.  Well done, sir.  I do have a couple questions.  Why do the tie rods and center link look radiused or bent?  Camera angle, amc engineering, or model manufacturing defect?  Also, where did the Mallory coil come from and does it look like the one I have pictured (happen to have one in the garage I used to use).  No decal for it?  Again, outstanding work.

8F6F40A0-F688-432F-B1FB-0053F18EE6A2.png

Thanks Michael, the carburetor’s are Fireball  Modelworks. They have amazing detail, and a great selection, I mix Testors Metalizer Brass  and Aluminum to get the color I like and then Tamiya black wash. 
 Johan kits get harder to find and the prices are crazy, the only reason I have this is, I started with a poorly partial build kit that someone gave up on. 

7 hours ago, M W Elky said:

Your hornet came out awesome. Great level of detail especially on the carburetors , altenater, wheels, and that’s a really smooth white paint job. I wish these hornet bodies weren’t so hard to find. I would like to park one next to my shaman gremlin

6 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

I took a quick perusal of your WIP.  Easy to see the passion and persistence of this build.  Well done, sir.  I do have a couple questions.  Why do the tie rods and center link look radiused or bent?  Camera angle, amc engineering, or model manufacturing defect?  Also, where did the Mallory coil come from and does it look like the one I have pictured (happen to have one in the garage I used to use).  No decal for it?  Again, outstanding work.

8F6F40A0-F688-432F-B1FB-0053F18EE6A2.png

Thanks Ron,  I had to go back and look at the photos and the car again, I used the lower control arms and steering linkage from a 24th scale Monogram 66 Mustang kit it is very close to the Hornet steering, there is a center link and outer tie rods. It does look a little tweaked. 

I started to scratch build the coil, and by chance I started building in the early Monogram Billy Meyer Funny Car and it had two coils and the decals are on the decal sheet.image.thumb.jpg.7420d6136a534556f1ca4a05556eaa43.jpg

• Like 1

I don't follow many on the WIP page, but this build intrigued me.  You showed amazing patience on this build.  I can say with 100% certainty that I would have given up and rushed a finish on this project.  Reference, my Flying Dutchman build, I simply ran out of patience.  This is probably THE most amazing build I have seen on here!

10 hours ago, catpack68 said:

Very nice! I enjoyed following the WIP👍

Thanks Scott, I sometimes think it’s a waste of time to post these builds, I’m glad you enjoyed it, I’ll keep sharing as long as someone is interested. 

5 hours ago, Altered Ego said:

I don't follow many on the WIP page, but this build intrigued me.  You showed amazing patience on this build.  I can say with 100% certainty that I would have given up and rushed a finish on this project.  Reference, my Flying Dutchman build, I simply ran out of patience.  This is probably THE most amazing build I have seen on here!

Thank you Jeff, I really wanted to do this build and at times I just walked away from it to get my perspective back. I did start to rush it, to get it done and my rushing the build actually caused some of my issues. There are some pretty amazing builders on this forum. Thank you again!

• 2 weeks later...