Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIZARD of Az. : a Johan '71 Mustang imaginary vintage Funny-Car... based in Arizona!

Claude Thibodeau

Hi!

Over the years, I've been blessed with finding a fair amount of vintage Johan kits, some of wich I actually built in the 60's when they came out. My new iterations are more cleanly built, needles to say....

Last april, I found this funny-car, complete and mint.

I knew the intricate Woody Gilmore designed frame would be finnicky to build, and I was right! So, to add to my Challenger and Javelin FC "collection", I built this car mostly stock, adding just a few details (wiring, hoses, magneto, fuel pump, barrel valve and throttle cable). The special effort would be in the livery... No stock decals would do!

So, Tamya's pearl white with pearl green Americana's acrylic marble effect, Testor's acrylic pearl grape shadings, gel pen graphics, home-made wizard decals and airbrush effects, topped with Mr. Hobby Top coat clear (many coats). I also experimented with Revell's new spray chrome on all the chassis and body tins, which provided fantastic effect. You just have to give it a few day to harden, and avoid marring it with your finger tips. 

I like to imagine such a car as part of the Coca-Cola Cavalcade of funny-cars at OCIR in the early 70's: that was the vibe, don't you say?

I also have the Pinto FC in my stash, but it might well end up with a totally different body. We'll see!

CT

DSC01946 (2).JPG

DSC01926 (2).JPG

DSC01929 (2).JPG

DSC01931 (2).JPG

DSC01933 (2).JPG

DSC01936 (2).JPG

DSC01941 (2).JPG

DSC01947 (2).JPG

DSC01952 (2).JPG

DSC01962 (2).JPG

DSC01963 (2).JPG

DSC01938 (2).JPG

• Like 11

Excellent build!  Most excellent creativity!

But I think Bob Cruz was an alias for Bob White, a renegade of the first order. He was hired to drive the Mustang by the ringleader of the AZ Ford Dealers, one Wyle E. Kyohtee. They really wanted to run a Roadrunner FC, but they never could catch up with one. It was rumored that AZ Ford Dealers was previously known as the Arizona Car Merchandisers Exchange (ACME). 

• Haha 2

I remember an article in an old Car Model Science magazine that detailed a painting technique where you placed a car body in water and then sprayed different colored paints on top of the water. You then lifted the body out and then voila, a cool looking paint job would emerge. Yours looks quite similar and reminds me of that. Very nice!

On 8/6/2023 at 8:04 PM, vamach1 said:

Very nice work on a creative livery.

Hi Rex!

That was the goal, because I could not bring myself to modify this nice Johan original. But someone could always redo the paint and use the original decals (which appear fine) if they want to stick to the "as is" doctrine...

CT

On 8/6/2023 at 8:15 PM, Danno said:

Excellent build!  Most excellent creativity!

But I think Bob Cruz was an alias for Bob White, a renegade of the first order. He was hired to drive the Mustang by the ringleader of the AZ Ford Dealers, one Wyle E. Kyohtee. They really wanted to run a Roadrunner FC, but they never could catch up with one. It was rumored that AZ Ford Dealers was previously known as the Arizona Car Merchandisers Exchange (ACME). 

Hi Sir!

Thank you. I must say my I never expected my simple "play on words" would ellicit such a clever reply. Now, ACME will always have a different ring to it for me! LOL. 

CT 

On 8/9/2023 at 1:21 PM, Nitrobarry said:

I remember an article in an old Car Model Science magazine that detailed a painting technique where you placed a car body in water and then sprayed different colored paints on top of the water. You then lifted the body out and then voila, a cool looking paint job would emerge. Yours looks quite similar and reminds me of that. Very nice!

I remember that article, it was in Car Model magazine it was by Hank Borger, there are great tips etc back in the day that still work today.s-l1600.jpg.6bb27bd1e6b0da100f58d3f8036bb40e.jpg

On 8/9/2023 at 1:21 PM, Nitrobarry said:

Hi Barry!

You are right: Hank Borger explained the technique, and I was  a subscriber back then!

However, this very FC is done with a different technique, where you have more control over the final result in comparison with the "swirl" method...

CT

On 8/12/2023 at 10:12 AM, bytownshaker said:

I remember that article, it was in Car Model magazine it was by Hank Borger, there are great tips etc back in the day that still work today.s-l1600.jpg.6bb27bd1e6b0da100f58d3f8036bb40e.jpg

Hi Edgar!

I'd like to get my hands on one of those old issues. I have a few, but always looking out for them. Nostalgia...

CT