Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvinos JR Models IndyCar

Fabrux

The who, whats and whens will come later as this was intentionally vague to gin up interest and speculation. But this is real and is being done directly in conjunction with IndyCar and IMS. Kit is in the design phase right now based on "factory" CAD data supplied by IndyCar.

• Like 1

This is very intriguing, and I hope they sell better than the AMT & Revell Indycar/CART models (which I've heard weren't big sellers back in the day). I would think that once Salvinos gets the Dallara DW12 chassis done, and the Honda & Chevrolet engines, they should only have to change the decals, instructions, & box to do different drivers. Similar to there NASCAR line.

14 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

I may be the only one.....but I'd like to see them in 1/20 scale.........Almost all my open wheel models are 1/20.

I'd be more open to buying in that scale.

I'm honestly of the same mind too. 1/20th would be MUCH better than 1/24th for these kits. Internationally, 1/20th is considered the standard scale for open wheel race cars and non-1/20th scale releases (like Revell's 1/24th scale Bennetons and Jordans or Hasegawa's Honda RA272) have always struggled to the point that all modern open wheel releases (Fujimi, Hasegawa, Ebbro, NuNu) have been 1/20th. 

I've never really understood why open wheel race cars are in 1/12 & 1/20.  There must have been a logical explanation to their rationale, but 1/20 just seems like a sci-fi scale to me as many Ma.K. kits are 1/20.  Personally, I hope they're in 1/25 scale.

Edited by Jim B

4 minutes ago, Jim B said:

I've never really understood why open wheel race cars are in 1/12 & 1/20.  There must have been a logical explanation to their rationale, but 1/20 just seems like a sci-fi scale to me as many Gundam kits are 1/20.  Personally, I hope they're in 1/25 scale.

1/20th scale in F1 kits has the same roots as 1/35th scale in military building. Tamiya had to fit a battery box into an early kit (in F1's case, their Tyrrell P-34) and 1/20th scale was the scale that cleared the battery box. Because internationally speaking there is no model kit company that matches the influence of Tamiya, their choice of convenience in the 70's became the international standard. If you lookat the older boxing of the P-34 you can see the small Mabuchi motor that was even built into the Cosworth DFV which is why the early tooled Cosworth in the Tamiya kits is actually slightly overscale. Compare it to the DFV in the Hasegawa Lotus 78 as a good example.Picture 5 of 12

Nobody has ever complained (at least that I've noticed) that all the NextGen kits are 1/24...but their new tool vintage NASCAR kits are 1/25. Their theory being Monogram had reset the scale in the 1980s, but their vintage kits will be the same scale as the old AMT & MPC kits of the 60s/70s.

Suffice to say I think more people will be happy than not about the scale when the next batch of information comes out that will be a bit more indepth.

Rick Salvino himself has claimed that the reason he chose 1:24 for the Next Gen cars is that starting with the downsized cars in 1981 for NASCAR they look better on the shelf next to the full size cars in 1:25 of 1980 and before. I'm sure that the quality and detail differences between the Monogram and MPC/AMT kits from 1981 Ave beyond set the standard for 1:24 in NASCAR modeling.

26 minutes ago, Fabrux said:

Rick Salvino himself has claimed that the reason he chose 1:24 for the Next Gen cars is that starting with the downsized cars in 1981 for NASCAR they look better on the shelf next to the full size cars in 1:25 of 1980 and before. I'm sure that the quality and detail differences between the Monogram and MPC/AMT kits from 1981 Ave beyond set the standard for 1:24 in NASCAR modeling.

Also with them buying the RM tooling, which was 1/24, you get some continuity among eras. 

I never understood why armour kits went with 1/35 instead of a more compatible 1/32, but here we are.  Open wheel racers tend to be tiny little things pared to most street legal cars, so maybe that's a factor behind going 1/20.  1/12 racing cars make as much sense as any other 1/12 car.  Sometimes you want a big, elaborate model.   In any case, it looks like a handsome subject.

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I never understood why armour kits went with 1/35 instead of a more compatible 1/32, but here we are.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1:35_scale

Just as with my earlier explanation regarding 1/20th scale F1 cars, the explanation is simple: Tamiya had to accommodate batteries in the 60's and 70's and Tamiya is FAR bigger globally than any other hobby company. In history arguably only Airfix and Mattel-era Monogram have had equivalent influence to Tamiya.

2 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1:35_scale

Just as with my earlier explanation regarding 1/20th scale F1 cars, the explanation is simple: Tamiya had to accommodate batteries in the 60's and 70's and Tamiya is FAR bigger globally than any other hobby company. In history arguably only Airfix and Mattel-era Monogram have had equivalent influence to Tamiya.

Except that 1/32 is bigger than 1/35, and would have accommodated batteries even better

10 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Except that 1/32 is bigger than 1/35, and would have accommodated batteries even better

It would have been larger but larger than necessary as far as Tamiya was concerned. At the time there were 1/32nd scale armor models (by Aurora) but the difference maker was that Tamiya is a global hobby juggernaut while Aurora was a primarily American toy company on the verge of being broken up and sold off to its competitors.

4 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

It would have been larger but larger than necessary as far as Tamiya was concerned. At the time there were 1/32nd scale armor models (by Aurora) but the difference maker was that Tamiya is a global hobby juggernaut while Aurora was a primarily American toy company on the verge of being broken up and sold off to its competitors.

But there was still 1/32 everything else, like airplanes, but like I said, it's already been decided