Model Cars Magazine Forum

Camera/pics help needed

Monty

Long story short, I know how to add a picture from an outside source (ex: Google images) to a post, but when it comes to posting pics I took with my phone's camera, 

gen.jpg.1092b43032487725e5f3eab0d9185e71.jpg

I've got a pic I took yesterday in my phone's gallery, but have no idea how to put it on here. 

I sent it to myself as an email so I could copy/paste it off my PC, but it said something to the effect that the file was too big, but didn't give me the option of scaling it down.  I was also told to connect the phone to a USB port, but that didn't seem to go anywhere either.  

Is there an easy way to do this?

On 8/12/2023 at 1:27 PM, Monty said:

Is there an easy way to do this?

Yup. When you click 'reply' to a thread, a box opens up to type your reply. Near the bottom of that box are two buttons; 'Add Files' and 'Other Media'. Click 'Add Files' and it will give you choices from which to retrieve your photos. Choose 'Photo Library', and it takes you to your photos on your phone. Tap the photos you want to post, and on the upper right (at least it is on my iPhone) click on the word 'Add'. That will upload them to the area at the bottom of the reply box, with the word 'Insert' at the lower right of the photo. Click 'Insert' to post your photo to your reply. 

Edited by Bainford

I have an iPhone and a PC. I use a genuine iPhone USB cable to download pics from my phone to my PC. Once they are in my PC, I have editing programs to make changes if needed for my bad picture taking skills (Generally cropping). I only view the forum on my PC not my phone.

Digital photos come in many (pixel dimension) sizes and resolutions.  I access te forum from my PC and when uploading my own photos I aways edit them (cropping and resizing).  My goal is to make sure my photos have have 1200 pixels or less horizontally.  That is plenty for still showing enough details in the photo, while keeping the file size down to less than 1MB.

Yes, the admins tell us there is plenty of image storage space available, but with everybody hosting their photos here to me it is common courtesy to minimize the space usage.  Yes, we have lots of space but how about 10 years from now?  Plus it makes no sense to upload huge images (like 4000x3000 pixels which are several MB in size). It is like too much information.

So yes, some effort is involved is one wants to be a responsible forum member.  I use Corel Draw Suite's PhotoPaint to manipulate my photos, but there are lots of free graphic image editors out there. Some very complex, others simple.  Even the Microsoft Paint can be used for this, but I find it awkward.  Friend of mine uses  https://www.irfanview.com/   and to me this one is  more powerful than MS Paint but not complicated.   Like I mentioned, cropping and resampling (changing the photos pixel dimensions) are the only things needed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
21 hours ago, gary jackson said:

you guys are talking chineeseeee

No Gary - it is some basic "computer talk". :)
When you use the Internet (by default on some sort of computer device), it makes sense to understand at least tiny bit of the technology that allows you to do all this cool stuff, like taking digital photos and participating in online forums.  Just like fixing a car - you need to at least understand the basics like what a distributor or carburetor is and how the engine actually works before you can try fixing it.

Phones I guess have their limitations but many allow quite close up photography. I try to compose an image at the taking stage to avoid cropping if I can. 

Phones with cameras these days are pretty good for taking pictures and very tempting because of their convenience and being a multi role device that you can stick in your pocket. My personal preference at shows is a prosumer compact camera as it gives me much more control at the taking stage and good quality images. Another thing about the camera is that it can be set for high of low resolution pictures. Low resolution is probably adequate to upload onto social media sites, but high resolution is the way to go for printing photos or for magazine publication. Very good prosumer cameras can be got for very reasonable prices second hand that are four of five years old and we'll worth a look.

Edited by Bugatti Fan