Model Cars Magazine Forum

Source for Micro Balloons

I have read several post about people using micro balloons with CA, 5 min. epoxy and other mediums as fillers on their models

I've searched the internet and haven't found a good source. Anyone have any sources or suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by 58 Impala

• 58 Impala changed the title to Source for Micro Balloons

I just use the filings and sanding dust from my bench. it works just the same as micro balloons and we already have it on our benches and its almost free. you can use pretty much any powdered stuff though, within reason. most of the time i have some filler and plastic dust saved up for using as its handy for holes. theres also finger nail filler but it works best with its own catalyst and it stinks bad, and its pretty tough to file down,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Micro and baby powder don't work the same.

BP is talc, which is the primary filler in most "bondo" products, and which use POLYESTER resin as a binder.

Microballoon used as a filler with an EPOXY binder will do things NO OTHER FILLER IS CAPABLE OF.

Use a quality epoxy like West 105 / 205. The 5-minute stuff will just make a rubbery mess.

This is where I get mine: a one-pound bag of white micro for $11 should last most modelers forever.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/bubbles.php

And yes. DO NOT BREATHE THE STUFF IN.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Micro and baby powder don't work the same.

BP is talc, which is the primary filler in most "bondo" products, and which use POLYESTER resin as a binder.

Microballoon used as a filler with an EPOXY binder will do things NO OTHER FILLER IS CAPABLE OF.

Use a quality epoxy like West 105 / 205. The 5-minute stuff will just make a rubbery mess.

This is where I get mine: a one-pound bag of white micro for $11 should last most modelers forever.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/bubbles.php

And yes. DO NOT BREATHE THE STUFF IN.

I would think a pound would last several modelers a lifetime! I still have some in one of those "butter tubs" I bought back in the '80s. I don't think that thing weighed more than a few grams, then. I don't do a lot of serious bodywork, either, though.