Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Fred Lorenzen Ford

MarkJ

Finally finished this one. Been working on it since April.  It's supposed to represent the 1963 Southern 500 Livery, but it's basically done using only reference pictures from a you tube video from that race. So, the accuracy of it is debatable.

1fl1.jpg

1fl2.jpg

1fl3.jpg

1fl4.jpg

1fl5.jpg

1fl6.jpg

1fl7.jpg

1fl8.jpg

1fl9.jpg

1fl10.jpg

• Like 8

There is no better looking Darkside NASCAR than the big 63-64 Fords. You have absolutely nailed the look with that low to the ground ride and rich with detailing. Some day I need to learn to do hood pins like you do.

What I am most impressed with is your mastering of brush painting a pearl finish. Sensational my friend!

Always a joy to follow your builds sir!

8 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

There is no better looking Darkside NASCAR than the big 63-64 Fords. You have absolutely nailed the look with that low to the ground ride and rich with detailing. Some day I need to learn to do hood pins like you do.

What I am most impressed with is your mastering of brush painting a pearl finish. Sensational my friend!

Always a joy to follow your builds sir!

Thanks, Pierre. The paint could have been more homogeneous. too many coats on some panels and not enough on others but basically it was about as good as I could have hoped for. Thank goodness this is the last pearlized paint job I will do. The hood pins are just 32-gauge wire tied in a knot and trapped between a rod and a disc then glued on the hood or trunk. Thanks again for the nice words. they are always appreciated.

18 minutes ago, presnell said:

Mark it is very good!!!!! did you know Fred was the first one to win over 1oo,ooo in a season, he did it in 63. I saw him race in 63 he was my favorite then. Thanks for showing us your amazing work!!!

Yes, Jim. They actually talked about him going over the 100,000-dollar mark in the YouTube video I used and posted in the wip. Thanks for the kind words about the build.

23 hours ago, TonyK said:

That looks real nice! Always tough to be accurate on these old race cars. You can look at 10 pictures and find something different in every one. Your finished car looks just fine.

There were a lot of obscure one-off cars back in the day. Very hard to document the one you want to recreate. Just take your best shot at it.

1 hour ago, bobss396 said:

There were a lot of obscure one-off cars back in the day. Very hard to document the one you want to recreate. Just take your best shot at it.

It really does help to have a movie of the race car you want to do. That's what I was lucky enough to have on this one. No doubt what the car looked like for this race. 

12 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

Excellent work, Mark. Great job on the paint. Your brush painting looks better than my airbrushing.

Thanks, Rob. The paint was a real challenge this time because with pearlized paint the more coats you use the darker the shade becomes.  It's hard to get an equal amount of paint everywhere on the model. Holman and Moody decided to run all 4 of their cars with pearlized paint for this race so I knew if I was going to build Fred's Ford from this race it had to be pearlized paint. Nelson Stacy's car was pearlized yellow and Tiny's number 0 Ford was pearlized red. I bet that pearlized red was very eye catching. I have one poor resolution black and white picture of Tiny's car.

63-0_Southern500_Tiny-2.jpg