Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Chevy C 80 with gravel trailer

Modelhaus 1965 Chevy 2 ton has been modified to be a heavier duty C 80 tractor with 409 V8 and air brakes. Shortened Diamond Reo frame, saddletanks are AITM. Gravel trailer converted to 2 axle with aftermarket resin wheels. Inspirational photos included.

IMG_2826.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

IMG_2816.JPG

IMG_2820.JPG

IMG_2821.JPG

IMG_2818.JPG

IMG_2830.JPG

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_2823.JPG

IMG_2828.JPG

IMG_2829.JPG

IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_2809.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG

Edited by leafsprings
  • Like 9

Thanks for all the positive comments!  Always liked the medium heavy class of truck, glad I purchased this one about 20 years ago, they are very hard to find today. Big thanks to Mr. Drennon for having the insight to create this cab. It was painted period Chevy truck colors Light Green with Fawn interior. 409 is from a '62 Bel Air kit, 5 speed and auxiliary trans from a KW.  Front wheels on C 80 are modified ALF, rear wheels are standard ALF.  Mirrors are scratch made from various kits. Next medium heavy I would like to do is the Dan Models (Cip) same era Ford F 700 or 850 as a tractor or dump.

Edited by leafsprings

• 3 weeks later...

Very beautiful build.  I’m glad to see my master was put to good use. Don sold several over the years he was in business. That was my 1st master I created for sale in 1988.  Don toured my polished primered mock up at every show he attended for a year before he started casting it.  I haven’t seen but a few of my conversion built and I think this one is the best one.

Bill Drennen

• Like 2

On 10/2/2023 at 6:45 PM, kwt950 said:

Very beautiful build.  I’m glad to see my master was put to good use. 

Thankyou! I wish I had the patience for more underhood  detailing and air line plumbing to do the nice cab justice. Thanks again for doing one of the very few medium-heavy conventionals, big plastic completely avoided this class, only giving us the tilt cab Ford C and Dodge L 700.

Edited by leafsprings
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2023 at 5:00 AM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Now that is a cool rig!! I have one of those cabs that I hope to get to one day myself. Excellent work on this one! I like it!!!!

Thanks, I'm a big fan of the medium-heavy class. I'm sure your Chevy build will have the optional 4 53 Detroit.

On 10/14/2023 at 10:14 AM, leafsprings said:

Thanks, I'm a big fan of the medium-heavy class. I'm sure your Chevy build will have the optional 4 53 Detroit.

Actually, I wasn’t aware that the 4-53 was available in these. Do you have any reference material on these trucks with a Detroit or even an engine compartment picture? I have 4-53 references, just not in one of these, at least not that I remember.😀

Some literature of the diesel version. The 4 53 was the biggest available in the 2 ton, the 6v 53 was for the larger series. I'm sure your fabrication skills are easily up to the task of building one of these 4 cyl. detroits, mine aren't, took the easier route with gas power.

IMG_2894.JPG

IMG_2895.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...