Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 Gremlin X

landman

On 9/18/2023 at 10:40 AM, landman said:

My first car was a 1973 Gremlin X with the 304 and the Levi's interior. I am going to attempt replicating it using the AMT '75 kit with  Flintstone  a resin '72-'73 body.My cousin with the photoshop skills has converted an internet image with red stripes to one with  gold stripes. Now we have to figure out how to do the the mirror image to do the other side of the car.

336538242_1404733146732986_597096481420695955_n.jpg

Nice work so far Pat. It should be easy to mirror it…I just did it on my iPad.

IMG_8226.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 7:26 AM, landman said:

The car is gone too. Sold it about 4 years ago.

Nooooooooo!  Nice touch the orange wheels matching the accent striping.

You even a Gremlin on the front fender, should be able to mold that for the back round thingie... can't be the gas cap, key hole cover?

9 hours ago, Big John said:

You even a Gremlin on the front fender, should be able to mold that for the back round thingie... can't be the gas cap, key hole cover?

The round thing is the gas cap. The keyhole was in the handle above it.

On 10/12/2023 at 9:42 PM, Big John said:

The gremlin logo is on the gas cap. Quite neatly molded too.

10 hours ago, Big John said:

Thought at first it was the gas cap but couldn't visualize how the hatchback opened.  Ah the days of compacts. Hard to see from your pics but, does the gas cap have the details too?  Really needs a hemi.. Hemi Gremi!

Actually John, on lythe rear window opened . there was a twist handle just below it.

The chrome bumpers from the '75 kit do not fit the resin '73. Only having the clearcoat part of The Spaz Stik left I used Duplicolor primer, two fifferent gloss blacks and Duplicolor Chrome. Both turned our ok until I applied the Spas Stix clearcoat. they are obviously not compatible. I just might do it without clear.

IMG_2930.JPG

IMG_2931.JPG

IMG_2932.JPG

IMG_2933.JPG

Isn't the resin body based on the plastic Gremlin body?  Resin usually shrinks a little bit, but that is rather large difference.  I also think that compared to 1:1 car the B-pillar is is slanted backwards too much.  But that is the same issue on the AMT plastic body.

Not sure if the wheelbase is wrong in your photo or is the chassis too far forward in the body?

Edited by peteski

The colors look really good Pat. I'm wondering if that script on the C-pillar was on your car?  The photos of your car you posted were not clear enough, but when I have looked at some online photos of similar cars and they just had the forked decals in the depressions - no script.

1973-amc-gremlin-x.jpg.d9cd3b26e43ecc68f20a9c8c88a47c80.jpg

9 hours ago, peteski said:

The colors look really good Pat. I'm wondering if that script on the C-pillar was on your car?  The photos of your car you posted were not clear enough, but when I have looked at some online photos of similar cars and they just had the forked decals in the depressions - no script.

1973-amc-gremlin-x.jpg.d9cd3b26e43ecc68f20a9c8c88a47c80.jpg

Mine was a Gremlin  X. I remember that. I found another picture where thre is a hint of white but again, not definite. So if it is not feasible, don't worry.

7 hours ago, landman said:

Mine was a Gremlin  X. I remember that. I found another picture where thre is a hint of white but again, not definite. So if it is not feasible, don't worry.

Pat, I think you misunderstood me. If you look at the upper C-pillar on your model body there is a raised  "Gremlin" script between the 2 depressions.  Did your car have such script there?  Most of the online photos (like the one in my last post) show no script there.  I was wondering why you kept it on the model instead of sanding it off.

I do realize that the Gremlin script in the full length strip is basically showing the body color, and that the "X" is red.