Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 59 Chevy El Camino

Yeah Nah

Supposed to be original factory Snowcrest White over Gothic Gold but the gold seems a little too 'coppery' so we'll call it a custom colour! Chrome trim is a combination of Molotow and kitchen foil stuck down with craft PVA, then trimmed like BMF.

Tried a little experiment with this: though a recent issue (Original Box Art Series) it surprisingly has no instrument dials on the decal sheet. Not a problem with the smaller ones, but that big speedo on the 59 is really obvious if you mess it up. So I photoshopped a photo of the full size down to 1/25, printed it, cut it out and stuck it on with PVA. Turned out much better than I hoped.  

Another AMT kit that faults aside, gives me all the reasons to be one of their biggest fans.

BTW, that tailgate does open, I just forgot to take a pic of it! 

20231007_091503.jpg

20231007_091525.jpg

20231007_091538.jpg

20231007_091557.jpg

20231007_091617.jpg

20231007_091655.jpg

20231007_091719.jpg

20231007_091740.jpg

Edited by Yeah Nah
  • Like 10

Another great kit that has held up over the decades. Back on the 1st issue, it was revolutionary with steerable wheels and a tail gate that worked. I have built a few over the years and it was always a nice build at the end. Lots of foil on yours... whew... looks mint.

• Like 1

Fabulous job on this El Camino, the two-tone paint, foil work, brightwork script, black wash on the wheel covers, everything about this build is just about perfect! Hard to believe you built this one from an old tooled (1964?) AMT kit, came out looking like a more modern Monogram/ Revell tooled kit.

The Gothic Gold gold paint you used came out looking like a good match for  “suntan copper metallic” - a ‘60 factory color which I think looks awesome on this car. I have this kit in my queue which I’m hoping to build into an early super stock drag car, your build inspires me to start it soon.

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive comments all.

Actually had a near disaster with this model: when it was about 90% complete butter-fingers me dropped it on a hard tile floor and guess how it landed? Square on the right hand tail fin. Flattened it like I'd taken to it with a hammer! Aaagh! Fortunately was able to straighten it out without a total repaint but it is a bit less square than it should be and of course I had to reshape the left tail fin to match.......