Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '32 Ford Sedan

Roadrunner

30 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

First order of business was to completely sand off that funky panel on the roof. That's just too much area to let be covered with some canvas (or whatever material the real car used).

It was a heavy-grained rubberized material, over wood framing and padding.

Production press-dies for cars weren't yet large enough to form an entire steel roof in 1932, so that built-up assemblage covered a gaping hole.

It's very common on real hot-rod builds to form a sheet of steel (on an English wheel) into a matching 3-dimensional curved panel, and weld up the hole...so that's what your mod would represent in reality.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Production press-dies for cars weren't yet large enough to form an entire steel roof in 1932, so that built-up assemblage covered a gaping hole.

It's very common on real hot-rod builds to form a sheet of steel (on an English wheel) into a matching 3-dimensional curved panel, and weld up the hole...so that's what your mod would represent in reality.   :D

I was somewhat vaguely aware of the reasoning, and have seen the wooden bows on other cars. I also noted that in many photos, this has been covered and painted, just as if it was always solid. My approach to building all of my car models is to make them look as I would want mine to look, or as close as I can get, assuming I was ever fortunate to actually own one. Thanks for the info.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

Great color. 

Are you going with or without fenders? 

I have one of these in the stash too.   I'm hoping to recreate a hot rod my dad built in the late sixties,  but my skill set is nowhere near ready yet. 

Anyway,  cool project.   I'll tag along. 

Thanks. Full fendered. I won't do fender-less cars,... ever.

8 hours ago, Zippi said:

That's going to be a nice looking 32 Ford Sedan Street Rod Kevin.  I did the same thing on the roof of my 34 Ford I'm building.  Great looking blue, what paint is it?

Yea, that panel will always be removed on my cars, where appropriate. I love this color, it's Tamiya clear blue over Testors Diamond Dust, one of the many painting combinations/experiments I have run, and will continue running.

7 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Nice colors! Ya can't have too many '32 Fords on the forum! -RRR 

I agree, there's something about the '32. When I'm finished, I'll have this, a 3-window and 5-window coupe, as well as my all time favorite, the Phaeton.

Edited by Roadrunner

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

I was somewhat vaguely aware of the reasoning, and have seen the wooden bows on other cars. I also noted that in many photos, this has been covered and painted, just as if it was always solid. My approach to building all of my car models is to make them look as I would want mine to look, or as close as I can get, assuming I was ever fortunate to actually own one. Thanks for the info.

That is my philosophy as well. Also to make any changes that look like that is how they come in the kit - fooled a few punters along the way

And yup you cannot have too may 32 Fords

Nice colour by the way

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 10:27 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I saw one real '32 sedan and the owner used a Taurus station wagon roof on it. It had the right contour and ribs which added rigidity to it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, customline said:

I would like to add to this by saying hot rod sedans and phaetons, in my opinion, look better with the fenders on them. But roadsters and coupes seem to be more traditional without. That's my two pennies. 🤓. Oh, and colors A and B1...absolutely!

I agree absolutely, but would go on to say that applies equally well to all cars of this era, but that's just my personal preference. The only time I have ever built a fender-less car, was the old Monogram Big "T" that I built when I was a kid. I like B1 also, but am generally not a huge fan of oranges or several other colors, being personally much more drawn to blues, reds and greens. I'll probably use that orange on a gasser though, one of several I have in mind.

Edited by Roadrunner

One of the biggest hurdles I face with these car projects, is finding wheel/tire combinations that work for me. Many of the choices that are offered "in-box" for kits, such as this one, leave me cold. Unlike many here, I don't have hundreds of kits in my stash to liberate parts from, so this is a real dilemma.

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

One of the biggest hurdles I face with these car projects, is finding wheel/tire combinations that work for me. Many of the choices that are offered "in-box" for kits, such as this one, leave me cold. Unlike many here, I don't have hundreds of kits in my stash to liberate parts from, so this is a real dilemma.

I agree.   I usually use kit wheels but they wouldn't be my first choice many times.   I've been considering trying out some aftermarket rims though.   At least on "special" projects.   

Seems like every other kit I've looked at recently has Centerline rims.   I've never liked them, so they get used only as a last resort. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

Seems like every other kit I've looked at recently has Centerline rims.   I've never liked them, so they get used only as a last resort. 

Me neither, not for street rods anyway. OK for funny cars and such though.

8 hours ago, Zippi said:

I always get my wheels & tires from Jays.  Good quality aftermarket wheel & tires at a good price.       

Jays Resin Wheels 1948 | eBay Stores

Excellent. I see a couple of sets already that I'd like to try. Already bookmarked. Thanks a bunch.

15 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Me neither, not for street rods anyway. OK for funny cars and such though.

Excellent. I see a couple of sets already that I'd like to try. Already bookmarked. Thanks a bunch.

👍👍👍

These are the wheels and tires that I may be using on this project. Look at all that chromed flash! One way or the other, I'll seek out a wheel/tire combination that looks good to me, as that choice will most likely really make the car more visually interesting.

DSCN1329.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 7:27 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Or in a lot of instances the builder went for a station wagon or van roof panel cut to fit the opening and it was even better if it had ribs or even wider grooves in it. They helped immensely with preventing "oil canning" and added to the ability of roof to absorb outside noise like rain etc. and wasn't prone to getting innocent dents or ripples from the idaknow or the notme critters.. In scale the roof from the late '70s Dodge van worked out pretty well and it wasn't as hard to get the double contours into it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

These are the wheels and tires that I may be using on this project. Look at all that chromed flash! One way or the other, I'll seek out a wheel/tire combination that looks good to me, as that choice will most likely really make the car more visually interesting.

DSCN1329.JPG

I'm going a little old school and using the wires with big'n littles from the Revellogram 1/24th scale Deuce Roadster, they are a lot like the True spokes even though I think they are supposed to be Buck wires except except the wide and widers aren't anything like something Buick released. But I think they are a lot better than the Kelsey Hayes that came in the sedan kit.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 10:39 PM, Roadrunner said:

This (spoon A), will be color for this baby.

DSCN0970 (2).JPG

The blue is nice but it reminds me of a locally built 1:1 Deuce Phaeton that was the ISCA Grand Champion the it was shown on the show circuit, it was a two tone with a lighter metallic blue on the main body and about the color you are going for on the fenders and frame. My personal choice would probably be the gold or a bright green, maybe even a transparent green over the gold, or a pure yellow kandy over the gold for a nice Kandy lemon yellow.