Model Cars Magazine Forum

2021 Pierce Ascendent Tower

4 hours ago, Rockford said:

The quality of the work in this job is really impressive. Craftsmanship! 

Wish I could say the same, Steve!  I think working on the military builds spoiled me.  Getting back into shiny paint and chrome trim has been a bear!!!  Too little time has been spent in prep for painting and it shows, maybe not so much in the photos but I notice it!😏

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This project has been slow in making progress.   I have not been satisfied with the cab build.  Too many little things that have cropped up to continue with it so I began again.  This time where I moved too quickly, I'm taking more time and being a little more careful in the way things are going together.  Sloppy is the only way to describe what I did the first time.  Sometimes that is the way things go and we need a little comeuppance to get our mind moving in the right direction.  The first cab was a learning experience; the second a better result.

056.thumb.JPG.14cdc7356f51747377d8b07d21c16ca6.JPG

It might look ok from a distance but the first cab (left) is not right.  The door line, which I thought could be offset resulted in the accent strip looking like it jogs up and down.  It really doesn't but with the doors protruding that is the look you get.  Not good!  The cab on the right is the second version and I think will be much better and closer to what it should look like.  The brass covered renshape pieces are the bucks I made to vacu-form the windshield sections.  The pieces to the right are the interior panels for the center part of the cab where the fixed side windows are.

057.thumb.JPG.54acd2edbb4484387b599e2b60bd6cc6.JPG

I also fixed the area around the doors where there will be entry steps.  In the first instance I should have paid closer attention to those details and did not.  That meant making some adjustments that were not good.  In the second cab the interior fits much closer to the cab sides and it will be easier to get the steps to where they need to be.  The square raised portion inside will become the AC unit.  The bumper is made of Evergreen sheet stock and a section of treadplate.   Next up is to cut the rear doors free and get the hinges made.  

• Like 6

I've been known to rip them apart when they don't look right, but a fresh start gives a chance to fix any issues, make improvements and refine assembly details.

And they don't wind up cobbled together and full of filler

I applaud your courage!

Great idea for the windshield too, using brass sheet

Your story is very familiar to all of us! :)  And the courage to know "when to stop and redo" is something we all need.

I can already see your methodical approach and fine tuning efforts on the 2nd cab!  Nice going!

Wow Charlie!

I thought the first cab looked amazing and can only hope mine comes out half as good as that. I see what you mean about the bucks, so next trip to the hobby shop I will pick up some thin brass.   I do see the differences though and I am even more amazed. I hope you find another project  for the first cab, it would be a shame to waste it after all the work and craftsmanship that went into it.  I can’t thank you enough  for the guidance  you are giving me on my build.

Dom

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on additional headlight and warning light bezels.  The first cab did not have the amber turn signal lights outside the headlights so I added them and recast all.  I used Molotow 1 and 2 chrome pens to coat them.  The rods are glued to the back side so when I mount them on the face of the cab I don't have to touch the chrome.  The rod can be snipped off from the inside after the bezel is glued down with epoxy.019.JPG.f19241ce7104df52b6d02248d05fd1a5.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We're back at square one and where I left off with the first cab.  The second cab is nearly done.  The interior bucket is installed but without the seats.  All except the driver's seat need the SCBA bottles attached and then the seat belts installed.  The steps are also yet to be done but progress has been made.  The cab needs to sit lower on the frame so some adjustments will need to be made.  For one thing the batteries are too wide where they are under the interior bucket.  Some trimming with a dremel should take care of it.  They won't be seen at all on the finished build.  The front will be appropriately shimmed to be sure it is level.  The turn signals also need to be filled and colored at the corners.  Steps from the former cab were removed and will be rebuilt.

076.JPG.9a161e09d7b617d3cf0fb05d9dc3bc6e.JPG074.thumb.JPG.434ff45dc3fe5aa8102026cf967e10f5.JPG077.JPG.094e8201dd19eebfc5618339f46f968b.JPG078.thumb.JPG.354b24a7bcfa0d6519a43c2413bbfaac.JPG

• Like 1

The first one looks pretty amazing, but I'll trust you that it has flaws. 😆

I think a lot of us have boxes of projects that just didn't make the cut.

Love the little details like including the eagle clutching arrows and an olive branch under the drivers side head lamp that Pierce places on their cabs. 

9 hours ago, Aaronw said:

The first one looks pretty amazing, but I'll trust you that it has flaws. 😆

I think a lot of us have boxes of projects that just didn't make the cut.

Love the little details like including the eagle clutching arrows and an olive branch under the drivers side head lamp that Pierce places on their cabs. 

Aaron if you haven't heard the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say. Years ago Pierce had a huge order from a middle east country and Doug Ogilivie the president of Pierce saw that the apparatus coming off the line had no real badging signifying that the apparatus was made in the USA. He had them attach the USA great seal badges to all the apparatus and the tradition continues to this day. I'm sure his patriotism was deep for he flew 42 missions in WWII.

greg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Aaron if you haven't heard the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say. Years ago Pierce had a huge order from a middle east country and Doug Ogilivie the president of Pierce saw that the apparatus coming off the line had no real badging signifying that the apparatus was made in the USA. He had them attach the USA great seal badges to all the apparatus and the tradition continues to this day. I'm sure his patriotism was deep for he flew 42 missions in WWII.

greg

I did not know that, a neat piece of trivia.