Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:400 Scale Pan Am/Boeing SST

Just finished this one over the weekend. It’s Atlantis’ 1:400 scale Boeing SST 2707 model kit. Done in the Pan Am decals included with kit. Representing the fictional/proposed plane “Astral Clipper,” N2001PA.

I like that this kit is 1:400 scale. I have several die-cast airplanes in that scale. Including the Dragon Wings Pan Am Concorde seen for comparison in the one photo below.

I also have the 1:200 scale two plane Revell, Pan Am/Boeing SST kit sitting on the shelf waiting to be built. Dreams from my childhood I wish would have been taken.

IMG_0794.jpeg

IMG_0795.jpeg

IMG_0797.jpeg

• Like 3

mate, nice job! You must have had that kit in the stash for a while - they're as rare as rocking horse pooh nowadays. I'd been looking for one for a while but I'm just am not prepared to pay the values on eBay.

You did a great job on it and the scheme really suits it.

If I got one, I'd do one as a WHIF subject like you, but in one of the older Air New Zealand schemes (one of the least likely airlines who would acquire one) or even Qantas. Maybe I should buy 3 so I could have Thai Airlines as well :D 

On 11/16/2023 at 10:38 PM, peteski said:

Very slick looking!   It is eye opening seeing how large it is compared to the Concorde!  It would have been a supersonic Jumbo Jet.

Is this a current kit or a vintage one?

Current kit. Just recently reissued by Atlantis Models. Repop of the original Monogram kit.

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2023 at 2:07 AM, Madhatter said:

mate, nice job! You must have had that kit in the stash for a while - they're as rare as rocking horse pooh nowadays. I'd been looking for one for a while but I'm just am not prepared to pay the values on eBay.

You did a great job on it and the scheme really suits it.

If I got one, I'd do one as a WHIF subject like you, but in one of the older Air New Zealand schemes (one of the least likely airlines who would acquire one) or even Qantas. Maybe I should buy 3 so I could have Thai Airlines as well :D 

Its a reissue/new kit. It just came out in the last six months or so. The Atlantis reissue makes it fairly easy to find now again.

Edited by unclescott58
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2023 at 7:12 AM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

On 11/22/2023 at 7:44 AM, Dave Van said:

Really well done! May pick it up. I have the Revell 1/200 twin kit too.  Wonder if Atlantis has it??

On 11/22/2023 at 7:46 AM, slusher said:

Sharp plane!!

On 11/22/2023 at 7:01 PM, Phirewriter said:

Very nice! I'm happy Atlantis is reissuing some of the hard to find Revell and Aurora kits. 

Thank you all for the kind words.

Great modelling. I was watching a documentary recently about the supersonic airliner 'race' - with the Russian 'Concordski', Concord(e) and the SST and learned the SST swing wing design was canned due to the excessive weight of the wing mechanism. Shame.