Model Cars Magazine Forum

Replacement for Model Master Metalizer

I discovered a tin of Humbrol Metal Cote Polished Steel, in my paint drawer. It's the closest thing, performance-wise, I have found to Testors discontinued product. It brushed on, very nicely and dried quickly. In researching the line, I found that they also have it in aerosols. The only thing I used it on was the tiny hex nuts on these thermocouples. I'll be buying more, for sure. If I can get it, locally, I'll try out the spray, too...

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/19/2023 at 3:46 AM, stitchdup said:

I think the humbrol metalisers have been discontinued also, my local record shop has the full humbro/airfixl range and they have been trying for over a year to get me some more.

I didn't realize that. I just did a quick search and found quite a few available for sale. They're still cheaper than Testors. Get 'em while you can!😁

• 3 months later...
On 11/19/2023 at 10:21 AM, stitchdup said:

the steel and polished aluminium are the onlu ones that buff, the rest are matt finish.

No, there are several other buffing metalizers, including Magnesium, Titanium, Gunmetal, Dark Anodic Gray, Burnt Metal, and Exhaust. More than half the Metalizer line was buffable.

Edited by Bainford

5 minutes ago, Bainford said:

No, there are several other buffing metalizers, including Magnesium, Titanium, Gunmetal, Dark Anodic Gray, Burnt Metal, and Exhaust. More than half the Metalizer line was buffable.

i was talking about the humbrol versions

The Humbrol versions were good paints, but sadly discontinued.

The Mr Hobby ones however are good but stink to high heaven!T

I think that there are sets of metallic paints that may buff to a shine available for the fantasy war gaming fraternity.

Also I think that art suppliers have tube metallic products like Rub n Buff that might be worth a look.

• Like 1