Model Cars Magazine Forum

Billy the Kid Demon Pro Stock

dragcarz

1 hour ago, dragcarz said:

Ya gotta love that stuff, suck a cool time in automotive history!

True indeed. In 65, my father was going to buy one of the Coronet Hemi conversions that the dealer got in, only thing, they would not register it. He ended up keeping his 300G ragtop until 67 for GTX ragtop.

I installed the lower K-member and reversed the front spindles to lower the ride height. A body Mopar’s were rear steer, but most racers converted them  to front rack and pinion steering for engine and header room. 
I’m also collecting the rear suspension pieces.

15237894-9B3B-475E-A64E-1943CD22955D.jpeg

6DA3FB14-7D52-402E-961A-D803DA36FBB7.jpeg

03CE6D29-4799-4E62-9724-42D6A2281213.jpeg

F79C45E3-D982-4758-9943-D1348DB11DA2.jpeg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Nitro330 said:

Coming along nicely Roger!  I  just got a couple pair of those shocks from Mr. Model. They are nice looking.

Thanks Terry, my first time using metal parts, hoping the super glue holds. 

7 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

Looking great Roger. Was the BTK car a converted 71, or did they just use the 71 dash? Really nice suspension, I am sure the super glue will do fine.

Thanks Rich, I really don’t know for sure what year they started with but In 71 BTK ran a Challenger, so my guess is the Demon was a 72. They did convert the 72 to a 73 with the addition of fiberglass bumper as they were allowed in 73. They were painted white and the Dodge logos on the quarters changed to Independent, as Chrysler pulled a lot of support from teams. Do you have more information on dashboard? I know they had a standard rectangle dash and the Rally dash with round gages. The rectangle gage dash showed up in most of the google search I did. I did notice the straight vs. angled area above center the A/C vent, but I don’t know if that changed between years.

Thanks Rich, I really don’t know for sure what year they started with but In 71 BTK ran a Challenger, so my guess is the Demon was a 72. They did convert the 72 to a 73 with the addition of fiberglass bumper as they were allowed in 73. They were painted white and the Dodge logos on the quarters changed to Independent, as Chrysler pulled a lot of support from teams. Do you have more information on dashboard? I know they had a standard rectangle dash and the Rally dash with round gages. The rectangle gage dash showed up in most of the google search I did. I did notice the straight vs. angled area above center the A/C vent, but I don’t know if that changed between years.

Roger, the 72 Demon went to the rectangular dash, the 67-71 rally dash wasn’t available. That is why I asked, as many teams would just upgrade the body panels to stay current. If you look at my build, you will see what I did to make mine correct to my car( as close as I could find). I ended up meshing the dash from a 74 mpc style Duster into the 71 Duster dash.

image.jpg

Edited by Moparman18064
Add pic

My Mom had a Dodge Demon, Plumb Crazy Purple, with back interior, and it has the squared off speedometer in it. There were no Demons produced in 73. 

10 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

Roger, the 72 Demon went to the rectangular dash, the 67-71 rally dash wasn’t available. That is why I asked, as many teams would just upgrade the body panels to stay current. If you look at my build, you will see what I did to make mine correct to my car( as close as I could find). I ended up meshing the dash from a 74 mpc style Duster into the 71 Duster dash.

image.jpg

Thanks Rich that helps, I’m guessing the Dodge sport dash could be used for the gages? 

10 hours ago, dwc43 said:

My Mom had a Dodge Demon, Plumb Crazy Purple, with back interior, and it has the squared off speedometer in it. There were no Demons produced in 73. 

Thanks DW, I just meant the update of the car to 73 rules requirement. 

2 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Thanks Rich that helps, I’m guessing the Dodge sport dash could be used for the gages? 

Yes, the Dart and Duster share the gauge packages, I just got what I thought were decals, but are a printed gauge layout on card that gets glued on. I still have to trim them a little more, but they should work

image.jpg

Edited by Moparman18064
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Thanks DW, I just meant the update of the car to 73 rules requirement. 

I got ya. Sorry for my misunderstanding there.  Can't wait to see it finished. I always loved these Demons. 

On 3/14/2024 at 7:22 AM, dwc43 said:

I got ya. Sorry for my misunderstanding there.  Can't wait to see it finished. I always loved these Demons. 

All good DW, I don’t always type exactly what’s in my head……

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 2:58 PM, catpack68 said:

Those coilovers are nice!👍Where did the ladder bars come from?

The ladder bars are from the Johan Hornet Funny Car kit I turned into the Drag on Lady Pro Stock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R. Thorne said:

Though a Challenger, thought this might be of some interest to you.  Bill Stepp’s 71 Challenger.

IMG_1440.jpeg

I never noticed before that there is a spacer between the distributor and its cap, I have a picture of the Demon also having it, requiring that bump on its hood. Not all pictures show the bump.

510867scr_wm_f0abd5338982991.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Life can get real interesting at times, it’s been over a month since I’ve had a chance to work on my BTK Demon. My mother in law has been Very sick for some time, and she passed away on my birthday March 22. Needless to say, my wife and I have been preoccupied with life and all that goes with it.

I was finally  able to get a little bench time in this weekend, and I’m surely having to reacquaint myself with the build. I felt like I needed to establish the wheelbase starting at the front suspension. I had reversed the kits spindles and though it lowered the front it’s not enough to achieve the ride height I’m looking for.  So I’m having to rethink things. The tires are almost touching the fender aprons, so however I lower,  or raise the front suspension I will need to address the aprons. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

E9071449-2000-4AB5-9052-CAD58AB6A4C5.jpeg

5F69F6CD-44E2-48E8-8C25-9C1C29D87782.jpeg

E3263959-7455-457C-BD7D-4A5324455A37.jpeg