Model Cars Magazine Forum

Billy the Kid Demon Pro Stock

dragcarz

Back in February of 2006 I purchased a built up  MPC 71 Dodge Demon. They were super rare, hard to come buy and I sure couldn’t afford to pay for an unbuilt kit. It was painted blue and had the rear wheel openings hogged out. I paid $51.00 for it. My intention was to build the Rod Shop Pro Stock using the Fred Cady decals. Needless to say with work and family it’s never been started.

Fast-forward to today and the reissued MPC Demon should hit the shelves any day now. Some time ago Slixx Decals printed the Billy the Kid Demon Pro Stock decals, and my intention for this build changed.  Now that the reissue is coming I’ll probably buy a couple and maybe one day do the Rod Shop Demon also. Not one to waist plastic I decided to do my built up, correcting the flaws, glue spots, repairing the rear wheel openings and reshaping the front. 

Now the disclaimer, this will in no way be close to what Francis is doing to his Demon else where on the forum. I’m no where in his league of builder. I hope to produce a reasonable replica of Bill’s Race Car. 

The body and interior  has been stripped of its prior paint. I’m looking to use the AMT Duster for the chassis and I have an MPC Dart Sport kit for the Hemi and rear wheel openings.  I’m hoping the reissue will correct some of the original kits issues. Other than the body this is the MPC Duster kit, the interior is incorrect as are the front wheel openings, I think it’s interesting that they corrected the front wheel openings on the Dart Sport / Duster street Machine kit.

3A81B48F-5306-4B9B-BC63-942E442EFC0D.jpeg

FE448EEB-966E-4E1C-9BC3-8E18FA113FB2.jpeg

A9B0E555-E81C-4B59-9678-86FA45E7C251.jpeg

734C0540-3EB4-4575-BD40-3F48BE859D44.jpeg

F5F2BAE6-F627-4571-8751-F0EAB78CBBED.jpeg

3172300D-214E-4D81-A615-1A9C79F34AFC.jpeg

ABC4023A-1F79-43D6-BDC1-33DFA10996D5.jpeg

16C360F4-4367-4F18-B664-E32C2C9EC065.jpeg

59DB4B3C-2D13-463C-ADB2-D99DC546DD7D.jpeg

38B373A8-CC00-4BC6-AF4D-7EA36671FF34.jpeg

90101A05-8321-483C-A712-354B5AAD5AFA.jpeg

E45C390A-A548-43B6-995D-DB9EC5A0FDDB.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, dragcarz said:

the interior [ of the original MPC 1971 Demon 340 ]  is incorrect

According to Hamtramck Historical . the upholstery pattern is correct (see image). FWIW, the upholstery was again changed for the 1972 Duster 340 annual ; it was updated again for the 1973-1975 Duster & mid-1975 to 1976 Dart Sport annuals, and any ad sequitur issues.

I'm looking forward to following your build-up of the Kid P/S. I'm sure that your work will be just as nice as your 1971 Hornet P/S !

71_Dart0005.jpg

9 hours ago, bytownshaker said:

I'll definitely be following, I also plan on doing the Billy the Kid Demon and Dodge Colt both with Resin bodies. I have a couple of old MPC Pro stock built ups that have gutted interiors.

May I ask where you got the wheels and tires.

Edgar

download3.jpg

Thanks Edgar, hopefully I can generate enough progress to keep everyone interested. The tires are the AMT parts pack recently. I think the front wheels are from the AMT 55 Nomad Kit, the rears are resin wheels I picked up somewhere. I’ve had them a long time. There a little to deep, but I should be able to make them work. 

8 hours ago, Shark said:

I think Southern Motorsports Hobbies has the pro stock interior tub without the back seat in it. 

Hey Todd, thanks for that info! As with most of my projects theirs not much detail in this car, lots of photos on the car but no real photos of the chassis or the interior. I was thinking of going with the AMT Duster interior as it has good detail and I can easily delete the rear seat. 

7 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

According to Hamtramck Historical . the upholstery pattern is correct (see image). FWIW, the upholstery was again changed for the 1972 Duster 340 annual ; it was updated again for the 1973-1975 Duster & mid-1975 to 1976 Dart Sport annuals, and any ad sequitur issues.

I'm looking forward to following your build-up of the Kid P/S. I'm sure that your work will be just as nice as your 1971 Hornet P/S !

71_Dart0005.jpg

Thanks John, thats interesting! I didn’t look up the real car info on the interior, I was just comparing it to the parts I have in my MPC Duster kit. They are the same and I assumed MPC did that to save money. I won’t be using the stock seats as the race car had light weight racing seats. I will save your illustration for the door panel details.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Thanks Edgar, hopefully I can generate enough progress to keep everyone interested. The tires are the AMT parts pack recently. I think the front wheels are from the AMT 55 Nomad Kit, the rears are resin wheels I picked up somewhere. I’ve had them a long time. There a little to deep, but I should be able to make them work. 

Thanks Roger.

12 hours ago, bytownshaker said:

Forgot to get you to check out the You Tube video on Herb McCandless's 72 Pro Stock Demon for some period chassis pictures.

I actually have watched that video a few times, and plan on using it for reference, thanks.  

I used the Dart Sport body to reconstruct the rear wheel openings. Looking at photos of the real car, they are really streached. I sectioned them and have a roughed in the right side. I also started on the hood scoop which is modified from the Monogram Glidden T-Bird pro stock kit.

59935A45-4595-4DDF-A190-4D498FAF738C.jpeg

D3B7A94C-B3EC-4AD5-AF31-D65FC3EABBA2.jpeg

546C3AB8-0A10-49C7-B124-5191C0864E94.jpeg

121179BB-18CA-4E86-A774-1F92E3DDED43.jpeg

8A0BD500-895F-4DE4-9657-3A2D902EBEE4.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice project Roger!  I am very delighted to see the little brother of my Dodge Demon project.  I was actually thinking of building the same car, I had bought the Slixx Billy the Kid decals a few years ago but I opted to build a fictional version instead as I couldn't find enough references for a detailed build of the real car.   I know what you're capable of so I'll be following your build with interest, I love what I'm seeing so far! 👍

12 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Nice work with the rear wheel openings. That method works great for altering wheelbases, too. I grafted the ones from the Old Pro Nova, into a stock Vega body, to fit slicks under it. I learned that from a Hank Borger article, almost 50 years ago! Love these early Pro Stocks!

Thanks Daniel, after I started the wheel openings I found a junk Revell Demon/Duster funny car body and they were very close to the size I needed, but none of the body lines would match. Lots of options, just need to keep an open mind and have a good stash of parts. I too love early Pro Stocks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Nice project Roger!  I am very delighted to see the little brother of my Dodge Demon project.  I was actually thinking of building the same car, I had bought the Slixx Billy the Kid decals a few years ago but I opted to build a fictional version instead as I couldn't find enough references for a detailed build of the real car.   I know what you're capable of so I'll be following your build with interest, I love what I'm seeing so far! 👍

Thanks Francis, hopefully it won’t take 3 years like the Hornet. In  all honesty I almost didn’t start on this one as it won’t compare to what your doing, I was afraid of the comparison of the builds. Then after  thinking more about it, I decided what the heck, I’m a plastic hack and can hopefully make a decent replica of Billys car. Seems like so many of the projects I choose have very little references available, so I build them as close to what the rules  called for and how the finished project looks.