Model Cars Magazine Forum

Billy the Kid Demon Pro Stock

dragcarz

20 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Thanks Francis, hopefully it won’t take 3 years like the Hornet. In  all honesty I almost didn’t start on this one as it won’t compare to what your doing, I was afraid of the comparison of the builds. Then after  thinking more about it, I decided what the heck, I’m a plastic hack and can hopefully make a decent replica of Billys car. Seems like so many of the projects I choose have very little references available, so I build them as close to what the rules  called for and how the finished project looks.

You don't have to be embarrassed about what you do Roger, you are a damn good modeler and all your builds are potential trophy winners, you have that in your blood and it shines through in all your subjects.  You'll probably cross the finish line before me because I spend a lot of time making barely visible details but that's how I'm made and I can't help it.  There is room for everyone on this forum regardless of how we work and it is beneficial to perpetuate this hobby.  Keep up the great work! 👍

18 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

You don't have to be embarrassed about what you do Roger, you are a damn good modeler and all your builds are potential trophy winners, you have that in your blood and it shines through in all your subjects.  You'll probably cross the finish line before me because I spend a lot of time making barely visible details but that's how I'm made and I can't help it.  There is room for everyone on this forum regardless of how we work and it is beneficial to perpetuate this hobby.  Keep up the great work! 👍

Thank you Francis! 

On 11/25/2023 at 11:25 AM, dragcarz said:

Thanks Francis, hopefully it won’t take 3 years like the Hornet. In  all honesty I almost didn’t start on this one as it won’t compare to what your doing, I was afraid of the comparison of the builds. Then after  thinking more about it, I decided what the heck, I’m a plastic hack and can hopefully make a decent replica of Billys car. Seems like so many of the projects I choose have very little references available, so I build them as close to what the rules  called for and how the finished project looks.

No one should feel intimidated by others work on this site.

Everyone benefits from seeing how others approach the challenges in a build.

Great ideas for dealing with the butchered rear wheel wells.

Glad you started this project. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Couldn't agree more! Well said, Bob!

15 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Thank you Bob, I completely agree with you!  No one should ever feel intimidated to post on this forum. Let’s face it Model car builders are a minority and as I’ve aged I find it more important to make a modeling friend, than comparing skills. I didn’t think I was feeling intimidated,but maybe I was. Everyone has a different building style and level of skill. When I was building my Maverick, there was a couple of others on the forum building Maverick’s at the same time and  I really enjoyed the different approaches the others took and the sharing of ideas to resolve issues in the building process, so I decided to go ahead with the Demon. No one on this forum has ever been critical or demeaning of me or my builds, it’s always encouraging, and I really appreciate that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched a couple of  You Tube videos on the upcoming Demon kit, I’m sure that like me everyone was hoping for an update very similar to the AMT Duster kit, but it’s closer to the original MPC rendering. 
I’m using a lot of the Duster kit under my Demon body, I removed the under hood structure and it fits the Demon Body very well. Future reference for everyone waiting on the new reissue.

2nd coat of filler on body, I’m filling the cowl vent, I still need to remove the windshield wipers.

A185B6BA-2B71-452E-A0D9-99E6EE5AD139.jpeg

ED163BEA-4316-4B17-A718-60C7E240773E.jpeg

BE69B9BF-DEF3-4EF5-BAAE-C677F6067779.jpeg

2FBA1133-DDF4-4C64-9263-265F82DA83AF.jpeg

• Like 1

Great job Roger!  I had already done the same thing for my Demon project (remove the section under the hood of the new Duster kit to graft it to the Demon body).  I did this operation for my 70 Dart Swinger several years ago and it is a perfect match.  After second thought and to make different, I'm going to build a stripped down version so as not to hide the steering/suspension elements I planned to make.  However, the path you took is the right one and will produce an impeccable result. 👍

4 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great job Roger!  I had already done the same thing for my Demon project (remove the section under the hood of the new Duster kit to graft it to the Demon body).  I did this operation for my 70 Dart Swinger several years ago and it is a perfect match.  After second thought and to make different, I'm going to build a stripped down version so as not to hide the steering/suspension elements I planned to make.  However, the path you took is the right one and will produce an impeccable result. 👍

Thank you Francis, I appreciate your input, at this point I’m pretty much flying by the seat of my pants.  I’ll take any advice you can offer.

Speaking of your Dart, that’s another on my list, Dick Landy ran a Pro Stock 70 Dart for a short period of time, and I want to replicate that car also.

16 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

This is really looking good, Roger! Those inner fenders really add a lot. It's hard to believe some of the stuff from these old kits--those rounded-off humps they used to put in them!🙂

Thank you Daniel, it’s so true those humps were terrible!

Small update as I won’t get to work on this for about 5 days, body work for the most part is finished, I repaired sink marks in the trunk, glue sink marks in the roof and hood.  Removed the wipers, and side marker lights, filled the cowl vent. I’m not sure I’m happy with the hood scoop, I may try to make another. 

4B65EEBE-E485-4CFA-8B51-65A9BEF14406.jpeg

BE1562F0-7383-454B-938C-83EA1B01F8E3.jpeg

A543BF15-459F-4A62-8C6C-6E1451307A2C.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nitro330 said:

Quite a bit of progress.  Bodywork came out nice Roger.  Rear fenders look awesome. 

I'm going to try to get a post started on my Camaro, maybe this weekend.  It's going very slow, just not a lot of bench time lately.

Time is the hardest thing to get, I’m between jobs right now or I wouldn’t be this far along. I can’t wait to see your work on the Camaro!