Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Mustang GT Fastback

Duddly01

Starting my next scale model build. This will be the second build of our 1966 Mustang GT Fastback. I liked the first build well enough but I think I can make a much more accurate version, but it will require kit bashing an AMT 1967 Fastback GT kit with an AMT 1966 Fastback GT kit. It will actually be more like 80% 1967 kit using the chassis, suspension, engine and engine firewalls.  Mainly just the body and body parts along with the dash panel and glass from the 66 kit. I cast the seats from a revell Mustang kit. Not worth recasting everything from either of the AMT kits, the cost of the mold and resin would be more than both kits combined.

So far modified the interior panels of the 67 kit to fit the 66 body/dash and modified the door panels to look like 66 panels. Drilled out the gauges and light sockets for LEDs. Cut the engine compartment panels from the 67 body and permanently glued the firewall radiator support to them then modified to fit the 66 body. I use a “fast grab tacky glue” white glue to trial fit parts so they come apart easy without damage. Major parts are trial fitted and fit well together now.

IMG_0018.jpeg

IMG_2975.jpeg

IMG_2931.jpeg

IMG_2932.jpeg

IMG_2933.jpeg

IMG_2936.jpeg

IMG_2960.jpeg

IMG_2974.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks like you are well one your way to another awesome kit bashed 66 Mustang.  If you do not mind I’d Ike to learn more about the LED lights and whether you used the it decal with perhaps a piece of clear sheet plastic sprayed with clear with a green tint.  The dash in your other Mustangs look very realistic.  If I was to replicate them like they are in my 1:1 72 Mach1 they would be very dim.  🙃  A decade or so ago I replaced the dash bulbs with LED that have a blue tint and are much brighter at night.

Edited by vamach1

52 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Looks like you are well one your way to another awesome kit bashed 66 Mustang.  If you do not mind I’d Ike to learn more about the LED lights and whether you used the it decal with perhaps a piece of clear sheet plastic sprayed with clear with a green tint.  The dash in your other Mustangs look very realistic.  If I was to replicate them like they are in my 1:1 72 Mach1 they would be very dim.  🙃  A decade or os ago I replaced the dash bulbs with LED that are much brighter at night.

I drill out the dash gauges and radio opening and created a clear lens I install at the back. I created gauge decals on white water-slide decal paper. and put them on the backside of the clear lens facing outwards. you can see the gauges in normal color looking at them with the lights off. I then create a cover to block out the light from behind. I use 1.8mm green LED for the light with a 1.8mm hole drilled in the backing. For this car I will be using 1mm fiber optic end bright cable to go through the dash to the Rally Pac gauges. Most of my LEDs I got from Evans designs though you can get the lights from almost anywhere. To further block out unwanted light I use black electrical liquid tape at the joints.

2023-09-17 16.47.10.jpg

2023-10-09 19.02.38.jpg

Edited by Duddly01
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Duddly01 said:

I drill out the dash gauges and radio opening and created a clear lens I install at the back. I created gauge decals on white water-slide decal paper. and put them on the backside of the clear lens facing outwards. you can see the gauges in normal color looking at them with the lights off. I then create a cover to block out the light from behind. I use 1.8mm green LED for the light with a 1.8mm hole drilled in the backing. For this car I will be using 1mm fiber optic end bright cable to go through the dash to the Rally Pac gauges. Most of my LEDs I got from Evans designs though you can get the lights from almost anywhere. To further block out unwanted light I use black electrical liquid tape at the joints.

2023-09-17 16.47.10.jpg

2023-10-09 19.02.38.jpg

Thanks for the quick and detailed response.

I have prepped the dash for gauge LEDs. This should show well my process. Cut the wheel off the steering column and pinned it. Created the rally pac pods on the column. Added a turn signal lever. Drilled holes in the dash aligned with the pods for fiber optic rods to light the rally pac with the gauges. Created the lens for the dash and rally pac.taped and marked for aligning the gauge face decals. Created the light enclosure and opening for a 1.8mm green LED.

IMG_2983.jpeg

IMG_2984.jpeg

IMG_2986.jpeg

IMG_2987.jpeg

IMG_2988.jpeg

IMG_2989.jpeg

Edited by Duddly01
  • Like 3

I honestly think this is going to be more of a review of the retooled AMT 1966 Mustang GT Fastback body then an update of progress. The bodies proportions are still spot on, but the quality of the body IMHO has taken steps backwards from the original molds. Considering how long it took to re-release this kit I can only assume the original molds were lost to time. I understand them removing the detailed emblems and such in leu of decals instead, but the rest of the details have suffered as well. The door gaps are much shallower, the A pillars are not evenly shaped, the wipers and other details are much less pronounced. I have several original promos and a couple kits and they have much more pronounced detail. They could also have taken this opportunity to add missing details like the headlight doors and rear end caps.

Mold lines to remove:

image.thumb.jpeg.8e258098739ea0a75b1df25987d7539a.jpeg

Door handles to remove, door gaps to deepen. Door handles will be 3D printed versions and locks will be Top Studio rivets. My Photo-etch kit comes with locks, but I prefer the rivets. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d443bf4b960ba8e12e62ac1387679dd4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.db37c1356a7c4a084684795828eb6773.jpeg

Wipers to remove for photo-etch wipers. I still need to clean up the window frame and etch it a bit:
image.thumb.jpeg.152c2c8519edc3d042a164d14af2ac47.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e32d87c7db9b84736ecc93af93415cd8.jpeg

Headlight Doors and rear end caps:
2023-11-3008_06_17.thumb.jpg.f84e8ac08d2649e4a84a5dcb9d6e920e.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.2986c0302006098a3e1985276f78066d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.488f943e207781541456c23659d62d16.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.de71abcf46e013071331fce740b1617f.jpeg

Rear window frame, still need to fill and fix a bad spot. :(
image.thumb.jpeg.0aab7316e81bd856e3e4df289d46f1da.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.aac2f55791d0ba2bb37143a5526c40ee.jpeg

I still need to fix the A-pillar as best I can and etch the front window frame and side drip rails. Then cut out the trunk lid and create trunk and hood hinges. 

• Like 3

I agree that the new/old kit is not as good as an original kit.  Over the years I have collected some old built ups of the fastback, a few built ups of the original MPC version that has separate door handles, and a promo which had been painted.  The standard for reissued AMT kits that have not been on store shelves in almost 60 years is still there otherwise Round2 would not have brought them back.

Pictured is the MPC kit and a promo I repainted red.

IMG_0575.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

• Like 2

It was a very busy weekend but I did get some time working on fabrication work. Modified the engine compartment for the 1966 washer pump and small bag. Drilled out the exhaust trumpet opening. Planning on creating the dual exhaust and trumpets from aluminum tubing. Drilled out the side vents, I really hate the lack of detail from the current AMT model kit, it doesn’t even come with the exhaust trumpets like the original kit or promos. :( Assembled and modified the engine, created power steering pump and bracket and modified the pulley system for dual pulleys. Cast a correct air cleaner and drilled for a nice aftermarket distributor and lines. Used strong white glue to mock up fit with chassis and engine compartment. Still a bit more fab work, creating LED wiring harness and a final white glue mock up before paint.

IMG_3048.jpeg

IMG_3052.jpeg

IMG_3055.jpeg

IMG_3053.jpeg

IMG_3057.jpeg

IMG_3058.jpeg

IMG_3059.jpeg

IMG_3062.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, charlie8575 said:

Nice project. I'm looking forward to seeing what the lighting looks like.

Charlie Larkin

It is going to be a very similar system to what I did for my 1967 Fastback build. 3 position on/off/on. One being interior lighting, other headlights, taillights and gauge lights. Using fiber optic rod to light up the Rally Pac. I do have to figure out how I am going to light up the back of the console but probably more fiber optics.

3 hours ago, Duddly01 said:

It is going to be a very similar system to what I did for my 1967 Fastback build. 3 position on/off/on. One being interior lighting, other headlights, taillights and gauge lights. Using fiber optic rod to light up the Rally Pac. I do have to figure out how I am going to light up the back of the console but probably more fiber optics.

I don't believe I saw your other project. I'll have to go looking for it.

Charlie Larkin

6 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

I don't believe I saw your other project. I'll have to go looking for it.

Charlie Larkin

Our other real Mustang scale model replicas. We own two others after these I need to make scale replicas of. :) 

https://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/186536-1967-mustang-fastback/

https://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/186534-1966-mustang-convertible/

Just a small amount of work this week. Created the dual exhaust and resonators from aluminum tubing and cut the 67’s transverse muffler in half to create the mufflers. Created the LED wiring harness and set up to turn on the interior lights or the Headlights, taillights and gauge lights. About done with fabrication and modification. I started the final white glue mock up to make sure everything fits as desired before going into priming, filling, sanding and painting. 

IMG_3089.jpeg

IMG_3092.jpeg

IMG_3093.jpeg

IMG_3094.jpeg

IMG_3095.jpeg

• Like 3

Worked on a white glue mock up today. The suspension was way out of wack. Sat like a gasser. Front wheels also stuck way out from the body, I think this is an issue with the 67 AMT kit in general. The rear suspension had to be moved back and reworked the suspension. Fixed some issues with the interior fit and several other adjustments. still need to extend the console, the one cut from the 66 AMT tub is way too short. Almost ready for priming and prep for paint.

IMG_3103.jpeg

IMG_3107.jpeg

IMG_3116.jpeg

IMG_3121.jpeg

IMG_3122.jpeg

IMG_3123.jpeg

IMG_3125.jpeg

• Like 1

Started getting some paint on most of the models major components. The MCW lacquer for the body is a little more bright yellow than the original. I painted the first version with actual 2K automotive paint but it goes on too thick and fills the details too much IMHO, and we can’t get lacquer mixed in California I don’t believe. :( Next will be the chrome window trim and GT decals before 2K clear. 

IMG_3137.jpeg

• Like 2