Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autoquiz #593 - Finished

It is not a Willys MB or the form 1958-1966 under license build Hotchkiss M201. It is 1942  - 1945 Ford GPW (General Purpose Willys-design). Willys had compete with Bantam and Ford to build  a US Army truck 1/4 ton 4x4 Command Reconnaissance vehicle. The Willys MA won it but was modified to the Willys MB which was build 370,000 times. Ford build of the  GPW 270,000 units  until end of WW II. The MB and the GPW were nearly same but with a few differences that identifies a GPW,  like a missing rear crossmember underneath the rear body section letter "F" on all bolts, bigger spokes at the steering wheel. But the main difference is the first crossmember, a pressed steel crossmember on a GPW and round tubular crossmember on a MB. The 1/24 Jeep from Italeri is in fact a Ford GPW due to the first crossmember  the missing rear crossmember

The correct answer were sent in by

ChrisR

otherunicorn

Rihard Bratrop

Russel C

Ace-Gareguy

Fabrux

Thom

DonW 

Congratulations

Auotquiz 593.jpg

Edited by carsntrucks4you

Cool, my guess actually turned out to be right. Usually I don't have the first clue what these mystery vehicles are. Didn't know that bit about the Italeri Ford "Jeep", I'll have to look at my parts pile to see that crossmember, which I'd gotten a couple of decades ago in order to use the frame & axles to create a 4x4 Cobra ranch truck abomination with a Jeep-style halfcab / hollowed-out trunk area pickup bed.