Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm starting a '40 Ford pickup modified of course

Since I just love kit bashing and scratch building, I had to change the frame!

I had a built but not painted "Wagonrod" chassis, so I decided to use it, even though the wheelbase is too short.

First off, the fuel tank is too tall, so that got easily sectioned, just a blade width was enough!

But the pickup box had a piece under the floor that needed cutting down, again, a simple mod.

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

• Like 2

Looks to be an interesting build. As an aside, my late uncle owned a '41 pickup with a Ford 292 4 bbl, and a Packard 3-speed transmission.  I loved that truck.  He took a short trip once and left it in my care, I had a ball driving it. Then I went in the military.  A few years later I came home and the truck was gone. I asked my uncle about it and he said he had sold it; he got $500 for it.  I almost cried; I would have gladly doubled that amount.

Anyway looking forward to your build.

• Like 1

I wasn't happy with the firewall, so I put the kit hinge on and made the opening smaller around it using scraps and styrene strips.

The hood was a bit wide at the cowl, so I did small pie cuts on both rear corners, super glued, puttied, sanded and now it fits better!

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

15IMG_E0274.jpg

16IMG_0275.jpg

Edited by dino246gt
  • Like 2

I'm going to make the engine from the '41 Woody kit fit because I want fuel injection and a flathead. Plus it just looks cool!

I made the front motor mounts from a single piece drilled to fit the custom motor mount plate from the '41 kit.

I added tiny triangle supports, 2 each side then cut out the middle.

Then I made a crossmember from the parts box fit as a transmission mounting point.

(Making the motor mounts as one piece keeps them properly spaced and even before cutting out the middle)

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

• Like 2

I'll be using these cool wheels and hard tires.

The kit wheel backs are going on as well, drum brakes all around!

3D printed rims need to be flat for the wheel backs to fit, Dremel to the rescue!

I'm not diggn' those holes in the wheel backs though! Styrene rod glued in then sanded flat makes them almost disappear!

I painted the wheels magnesium and the drum brakes titanium.

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0251.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, 68shortfleet said:

Side note, the Revell/Monogram 37 Ford kit has a really nice frame and suspension that nearly drops right into place under the 40 PU.

It all started with the built up Wagon Rod missing a few pieces, bought just for parts, so I thought I'd use some parts! 

The pickup kit is missing parts of the hinges for the doors though.

Not sure what I'll do there yet.

Front suspension is "under construction" This is where I'm lengthening the wheelbase to fit the body. Wagon Rod chassis has a shorter wheelbase.

I'm using the '40 front axle as it's severely dropped but I will bag it so I won't need that leaf spring.

Some cut up A-arms and parts box scraps and I'm getting there!

26IMG_0263.jpg

27IMG_0264.jpg

28IMG_0335.JPG

29IMG_0333.JPG

• Like 3

Onto the engine!

That chrome fan belt had to to thinned, AND de-chromed!

I foiled the heads, wasn't sure it it'd work because I still wanted it mostly red, but it turned out!

I wasn't going to use that chrome distributor either, so I cut it off and drilled and pinned it for a pre-wired one.

Wired the simple starter too for a bit more detail.

With the engine now wired, I needed a generator, no I'm using an alternator, 12v system, more driveable, so I made it down low, out of sight from above. Needed an extra pulley and belt!

Checking the fit in the frame, all good!

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

34IMG_0307.JPG

33IMG_0311.JPG

35IMG_0322.JPG

Edited by dino246gt
  • Like 3

On 11/27/2023 at 8:11 PM, dino246gt said:

The pickup kit is missing parts of the hinges for the doors though.

Not sure what I'll do there yet.

I've got a few 40 pickup parts, I know there are some hinge parts in the box.

If you figure which pieces you need, ill take a look.

Edited by 68shortfleet
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, dino246gt said:

I'm missing 2 for each door, and the ones I do have are badly flashed and bent. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I will try to scratch them in case you don't have what I need, but I'll keep checking in to see what you do have to spare.

Thanks, Dennis

IMG_0355.jpg

I think every releaae of this kitbthat i have seen has a large amount of flash. Small flash or large flash, still gotta get my file out, so doesn't bother me much.

I'll try and look tomorrow.